Vaginal Hysterectomy - TVH - My Story | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Our Hysterectomy Stories > Vaginal Hysterectomy Stories

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Vaginal Hysterectomy - TVH - My Story Vaginal Hysterectomy - TVH - My Story

Unread 10-20-2007, 06:50 PM
Vaginal Hysterectomy - TVH - My Story

I had a very large fibroid that took up almost my entire uterus. I had a lot of pain and would not stop bleeding. We tried birth control pills to see if we could regulate to no avail. After a very difficult summer it was determined that a hysterectomy was my best option. This was due to the fact that I had never had children, so to separate the fibroid from my uterus was almost impossible. The other less invasive options seemed long drawn out, painful and no guaranteed results. The next step - FEAR!

So many experiences from the best to the worst. What was going to happen to me? I was very scared. I have to say for all the emotional issues I went through and am going through now, the pre-op, surgery and post - op could not have gone much better (I had a TVH - kept my ovaries). For this I am truly grateful. I have a doctor who is incredible. And for the most part the procedure went off without a hitch. My worst time came in recovery. I should have been there only about 1 hour and it ended up being 3 (So I am told). There was an extreme amount of pain as I was waking up and they had to get the anesthesiologist back in to give me an epideral. I was still having considerable amount of pain when I was taken to my room where they put me on a morphine drip - where you push the button when you need it. The staff however could not have been nicer and more caring. One of my biggest concerns was my modesty and they all took great care to protect this with me. I was put in maternity which I had mixed feelings about, but it ended up being ok. They just understand women's needs better there and that is where the OB/GYN doctors, nurses and facilities are most easily available. I found out that my Doctor is also a Pastor and so I asked him to pray with me before surgery which he did without hesitation and this gave me great peace.

Coming Home: I have had some pain and discomfort and many nights of insomnia. I had a real struggle with the pain meds which made me feel like I was having a heart attack. I ended up with prescription Aleve (Anaprox - Naproxin), which works pretty well for me. My biggest problems were emotional. Not only was I off hormones (which I had been on in one form or another for about 2 years), but because I had never been married and not gotten to have children, I was basketcase!!! My doctor put me on a low dose valium. It helped some.

My biggest help has been this website. At first I didn't know quite what to do with it, but I just found a spot and released all the tears! I have now made many new friends and I am hoping with time I can become a support for others. It has been a Godsend!!!!!!

So, I know there are many princesses out there about to face this surgery and it is very scary. But, I hope all of you are most pleasantly surprised with the best possible experiences and care given the circumstances.

All my best wishes and prayers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register