Hysterectomy dates Oct 22-Oct 29,2007 - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Oct 22-Oct 29,2007 Hysterectomy dates Oct 22-Oct 29,2007

Unread 10-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Hysterectomy dates Oct 22-Oct 29,2007

I had my surgery October 24 2007 at 8am. TAH with both ovaries removed. Last thing I remember before they put me out was my doctor telling me to think of my most favorite place and go there. When I came to I started fighting the nurses trying to take the oxygen mask off and kept hitting her. I guess they gave me something cause next thing i knew i was in my bed in my room. I started itching a lot they say it was from the morphine. So I kept getting doses of benedryl and then they added toradol on top of it. When they took the foley out and i was able to get up to go to the bathroom I almost passed out. Thank goodness for that nurse call string.

They removed the dressing off my incision and it seems i had a reaction to the tape because i was blood red with a burn and my skin was peeling off. I think thats been a majority of the pain. They put me on Percocet and I had a reaction to that as well... my face turned all red so they changed my pain meds to something that consisted of darvocet and phenegren.

I came home on the 26th and hubby has been waiting onn me hand and foot. If I could control my noisy neighbors i think it would be better. Anyway the pain is starting to lighten up i am on tylenol with codine. I get up to use the bathroom and thats bout as much walking as my family will allow...lol...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2007, 06:42 AM

Hey All! Had my TVH, A&P repair, bladder sling, and sacro somethiny something on Friday the 26h. I am still in the hospital. Surgery was at noon on Friday. Went well. I am told my uterus came out real easy. Decided to leave ovaries. The surgery only took a couple of hours. I have been sufferring quite a bit more pain than I thought I would. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain as I have sufferred from migraines for years. Even with the morphine pump, I had a lot of pain. Toredol seems to do the trick for me. They will not send me home with that. I may have to address pain meds with my doctor before I leave. The two things that are causing me pain are gas (but at least I am passing it) and the A&P repair. I have not been able to urinate on my own. They had to put the catheter back in yesterday because the pressure was hurting a lot. If I can't go today, I can either stay in the hospital another day or go home with a bag. I am tending to think I will stay here. My husband is being great about taking care of me, but I think a cath bag may be a little bit much. Plus, the nurses and nurses aids here are so great. So that is how it stands now. Hopefully things will get a little better. I am having lot of anxiety about that first BM!
Unread 10-28-2007, 08:27 AM

I know what you mean about the BM I had a very tiny one in the bathroom the morning I was discharged and haven't had one since I've been home. I know I need to and I have sensations at times and go to the bathroom and sit for a while and nothing happens. I don't want to sit there until my legs go to sleep then be in more trouble trying to stand and move back to the chair or bed...I've been eating apples and prunes and taking a softner and of course I'm drinking lots of water. I still help but think I am still having side effects from the morphine...I didn't know I couldn't handle the morphine until after I almost passed out twice trying to get up...it put me a day behind getting back up on my feet and moving.

Best regards.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2007, 10:05 AM

I did same thing small BM day i was discharged. I finally had one at home last night and it helped with a lot of the pressure. good luck hun
Unread 10-28-2007, 01:02 PM

yay! I am really starting to feel better!

I had TAH / BSO on 10/22. Doc told my hubby that everything went well, and looked good. Pathology during surgery was negative. Still waiting for post surgical pathology. Some nausea after surgery - nurses gave me Zofran in IV and that helped immediately. I think I tried to switch to oral pain meds too soon, and had lots of gas pain and internal pain. When I went back to the pain button, it was better. I didn't really want to eat while I was so bloated. I decided the broth served in hospital probably had msg, and gave me migraine, so i stopped eating it. Jello was good. I had no trouble walking.

I came home Thursday afternoon 10/25, and slept a lot!. But the gas and bloating and horrendous cramping continued. Finally on Saturday, I had my first bm - very painful cramping, but still a relief. I am trying to drink lots of water but it is hard. Hot tea felt good. not too much, though, cause caffeine is bad. Using lactaid if I have dairy as a precaution, because that seemed to help pre-op.

Best of luck to all
Unread 10-28-2007, 09:24 PM

Hi Ladies!!!
I had my TAH and gallbladder removed on Thursday 10/25.
I feel "groggy" from the pain meds but otherwise just a little sore in the incision area.
Question: Why are the backs of my knees sore as if they had been put in stirrups and my vaginal area sore? My doctor told nothing of this.
If anyone knows, please let me know.
Thanks!!!
1CatLady
TAH 10/25
Unread 10-29-2007, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1catlady
Hi Ladies!!!
I had my TAH and gallbladder removed on Thursday 10/25.
I feel "groggy" from the pain meds but otherwise just a little sore in the incision area.
Question: Why are the backs of my knees sore as if they had been put in stirrups and my vaginal area sore? My doctor told nothing of this.
If anyone knows, please let me know.
Thanks!!!
1CatLady
TAH 10/25
Not sure why your vaginal area is sore unless it's due to the stress of the surgery or spasam.

Do they have you in surgerical stockings or the air pumped leggings? Every time my Doctor and nursing staff came in to check on me they were always checking my legs and asking me if I hurt behind my knees...their biggest concern is cirrulation; and they don't want blood clots to form...I would tell someone that there is pain in those areas maybe a nurse who works with ladies who has this type of surgery all the time...you know what I mean? They see all the different ways people react and recover.

The very best to you as you recover.
Unread 10-29-2007, 10:51 AM

I had my uterus, both ovaries and tubes taken out last Monday the 22nd. I am walking a lot and I am at the point where my body is sore and hurts when I lay down.

The surgery went well. I don't remember much of what the doctor told me. All I know is I reacted to the meds to the point my breathing and blood pressure dropped --- the nurses were rushing around. I was happy to come home and get out of the hospital.

I really want to go back to work next week part-time. My job is a desk job as a boss. I sit around in meetings a lot. I could stand if needed...I just don't think I could stay home another week and stay sane.

I have been reading on several websites---what is the opinion out there? What have your doctors said? All mine said was I would have an apt in 4 weeks.
Unread 10-29-2007, 11:30 AM

I had a TAH last Tuesday. I have a desk job too. My Doctor told me at my pre-op appt that maybe I could back to work in 4-weeks.

When he released me on Friday he said I couldn't drive for at least 2-weeks.

I see him in little over an hour to get the staples out and am anxious to see what he thinks in how I look and feel. I feel good and getting around the house pretty good.

I wouldn't mind working part time either, but the only draw back is there are 2 flights of stairs to get to my office.
Unread 10-29-2007, 11:53 AM

I'm a little late since my surgery was Oct. 19. I wasn't able to write this until today. Don't know if you'll publish this, but, if so, here it is.

I was scheduled for Oct. 18. Hospital called on the 17th to ask if I would move to the 19th. After agonizing for awhile, I called back and said I would switch, but I wanted the first surgery which meant I had to be there at 6 AM. They agreed.

Next day--the 18th--I called as instructed to confirm and check for my time. Guess what...they scheduled someone else for the 6 AM! I was so upset. You know how you just want to get all this over when you are this close. I reasoned nicely regarding our conversation the previous day, but it wasn't doing much good. Finally, I couldn't hold in my anxiety anymore and it became very apparent to the person on the other end how upset I was. She said she would do her best to rectify the situation. She called back about 90 minutes later with the good news--I was back on for 6 AM! Hmmm, is finding out surgery time really all that good? I guess so. Anyway, she told me to relax and try and get a good nite's sleep. I'm a worrier. I figured I'd plenty of time to sleep after it was all over, so my anxiety for the interim was about a 9 1/2.

Everything went on schedule. I was in preop shortly after 6 AM getting IV's in, info reviewed, and even had a very nice female cleric say some prayers for me.

I was wheeled down the hall to wait outside the operating room--new experience for me. The anesthesiologist assistant came over to speak with me and to go over procedures. She started talking about general a., but I told her that I understood I could have regional. She said she had to talk with the Anesthesiologist. He called and she discussed it with him. He came in and we discussed it again. I was caught off guard since my surgeon told me this was possible. I really didn't want a general and started to get very anxious. I'm glad I was very firm on this. They agreed once they spoke with my surgeon.

They went back and forth about a spinal or epidural. I think I got the epidural. Sorry to be vague on this. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to administer. I thought I would feel all numbed up in a strange way like at the dentist. They numbed my back so that they could inject me. When I received the injection, it was a warm feeling that ran down my legs. Not unpleasant at all. In fact, it warmed my feet which were cold.

Their only concern was that it was not numbing me up high enough and that stalled surgery for awhile, but then, all was well and it got underway.

It lasted about three hours. I had TVH, plus repair of stage three pelvic prolapse.

I was in recovery for about 6 hours. Not sure if this is typical length.

They got concerned about my blood levels. Turns out I had donated 2 pints of blood before surgery. Apparently it took so much out of me, that I had to be transfused in the recovery room with my 2 pints. Then all was well. The surgeon said I hadn't lost any blood during surgery so I guess I could have saved myself time and trouble and not donated. He and some of his assts. are very concerned about the blood donation system and said they want to check it out completely. (I live about 150 miles from the medical center, so I had to donate blood in another city.)

All in all, I had excellent post op care. I had a pain pump which I used until Saturday afternoon when I was given percocet--it helped a great deal. My catheter and packing were removed on Saturday and I was discharged Sunday. I was sent home with pain meds--motrin and percocet, plus stool softener.

I slept a lot the first few days I was home. For some reason, I seemed to feel very low or depressed on Monday and Tuesday. Don't know if it had to do with surgery in general, being uncomfortable, or what. I decided to take the percocet and I began improving right away. It really help the back pain, etc. The motrin is about all I need now. I'm looking forward to getting back to normal, but enjoying the rest in the meantime. My kids are grown so I don't have the responsibilities that the young moms on this list have.

I had a great surgeon and I was in a good place. If I should need further repair, etc. in the future, I don't believe my apprehension will be a concern. It wasn't bad at all.

Hope this helps someone.

Simsonian

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register