Endometrial Ablation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Endometrial Ablation Endometrial Ablation

Unread 07-10-2001, 01:41 PM
Endometrial Ablation

Does endometrial ablation stop cramps as well as heavy bleeding?

I'm not sure what to do anymore. I just found out from my neuro that hormones are an absolute contraindication for me because of my migraines. I'm having a TAH in 10 days but keeping my ovaries. There's a chance that my ovaries could fail post hyst and that would cause me a lot of problems.

I have endometriosis, cramps, heavy bleeding, clots and a lot of pelvic pain from adhesions. I've had the endo cauterized once and could have gone back for more, but decided to go the route of the hyst to (hopefully) nip this all in the bud. I always looked at the hyst in terms of doing now what is IMO inevitable. I figured why put myself through more surgery only to have to have a hyst done much later on. Makes sense, right? Now that I know that I can't take any hormones, that decision doesn't make as much sense anymore. (maybe it's my own fear and shock talking....but for now I must go with my feelings)

Now I find myself being forced to look at the alternatives. That's something I didn't want to do...I wanted to get this all over with once and for all. But I may not be able to...not now...maybe later when I'm closer to menopause.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2001, 06:52 PM
Endometrial Ablation

Hi Laura,

Your diagnosis sounds a lot like my pre-op situation. I had an ablation because my insurance wanted me to try all alternatives first, and I did prefer to avoid a hysterectomy if possible. Well, I got two years of blessed relief from the ablation. My periods were light, and the cramping was very mild.

Then, the uncontrollable bleeding started up again, and an ultrasound revealed fibroids, which meant a repeat ablation would not work. So, I went ahead with the hyst.

Did your Dr. say that if you had a hyst, that the ovaries would automatically go, too? Some Drs. are that way with endo, but others are not. Please let me know. If you kept your ovaries and made your own hormones, then you might do OK with the hyst. (I was able to keep one healthy ovary...the other was ruined by endo.) My Dr. does not believe in automatically taking the ovaries, even with the presence of endo.

On the other hand, I've heard that many women have long-term success stories with ablation, so I wouldn't want you to dismiss the idea just because it was only a temporary solution for me. I'm truly glad I gave it a try!

My very best to you...

Linda
Unread 07-13-2001, 09:20 AM
Endometrial Ablation

Laura

I had an endometrial ablation in Jan and am now scheduled for a hysterctomy.My PMS cramping is worse by at least 20 times It is unbeleivable pain . My spec said that sometimes that can happen when the uterus lining is destroyed. Did your doctor offer you the ablation before the hyst? Mine would not do the hyst until I had tried the ablation.

Let me know

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-13-2001, 01:20 PM
Endometrial Ablation

What I'm trying to avoid is more surgeries or other procedures. The hyst will be my 4th for this problem and I've had enough! Actually, my doctor didn't recommend an ablation. He examined me and right away said hysterectomy. I got spooked with the no hormones deal and the prospect of ovarian failure which is why I was going to go see him and talk about an ablation instead. But I've since talked to a lot of women (including a lot here too) and am feeling a lot better about the hyster. My doc is one of the best in the area and I know that he doesn't recommend a hyster unless it's really necessary. I suspect that he found something when he examined me and probably isn't prepared to say what.

So I'm off to my TAH in a week! Time has sure passed quickly!

Thanks for your replies!
Unread 07-13-2001, 03:56 PM
Endometrial Ablation

My family doctor mentioned ablation, but my GYN didn't. Upon looking at my records, my family doctor said the GYN likely didn't mention it because is probably wouldn't work. After all, if a D and C, polyp removal, etc. didn't have any effect at all, the odds aren't good. The both did the "Do not pass Go, do not collect 200 dollars - go right to the hyst." speech! Now, the choice is mine!
Unread 07-13-2001, 05:12 PM
Endometrial Ablation

Laura

I agree with Sandy.Have the hyst you know you are just getting spooked because it is next week.Holy where has the time gone.

keep posting. I am sure we will bump into each other before your big day.Now if we could only get Sandy to make her big decision

Take Care

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register