In Insurance Hell!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

In Insurance Hell!! In Insurance Hell!!

Unread 10-22-2007, 12:24 PM
In Insurance Hell!!

Hello Sisters:

Well, after much debate with my insurance company, it turns out that if I want my procedure to take place in a timely manner (and close to home), I'm going to have to pay, pay pay!

It turns out that the hospital that is most effecient for me (and the Doctor's choice) is not contracted with my insurance company, therefore, I can either pay extra to have this done on 10/29, or pay nearly nothing and wait another 5-6 weeks to get into the hospital that is contracted with my insurance.

There are no special considerations for the pain I'm in or the consequences of waiting, etc. It's cut and dry, one or the other! I'm so hopping MAD right now...I don't know whether to cry or scream. I hate insurance companies!!

It's not enough to endure the pain and irritation of constant cramping and bleeding, but now I've got to face the horrible thought of waiting another month or two....

Has anyone else experienced similiar issues? ARGH!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2007, 12:29 PM
In Insurance Hell!!

I didn't have the same issues as you, but I did just get a bill from the hospital for 17K, thank goodness I have good insurance.

5 more weeks isn't that long, some of us waited years to make the decision to have the surgery. Ask your DR for some medicine for the pain until the surgery, thats what mind did for me.
Unread 10-22-2007, 12:54 PM
In Insurance Hell!!

Yes, I will have to have some kind of pain management if I wait much longer. It's already been 5 weeks and she's wanted to keep me off of pain meds, but I can't deal if it's going to be another 5 more....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2007, 01:04 PM
In Insurance Hell!!

I was wondering just how much this hyster is going to cost, even with good insurance????
Unread 10-22-2007, 01:10 PM
In Insurance Hell!!

My hospital quoted about $17,000 for a TVH and 3-4 day stay without complications. My Dr. is charging about $4,000. I live in Las Vegas, Nevada. I'm sure rates vary depending on where you're at.

That's why I'm searching my entire Valley for a hospital where my Dr. is affliated and my insurance will cover everything. It's worth checking all of this out ahead of time--believe me, the last thing I want is sticker shock after everything else.

Hope this helps....
Unread 10-22-2007, 01:16 PM
In Insurance Hell!!

Hello Worrytomuch

I really understand your being upset with the insurance company and rightly so. I would strongly suggest that you request more pain meds and wait the 5-6 weeks. Reason being when you add up the hospital, anthesisolgist(sp), doctor, pathology and any other cost you might incur once the doctors start the procedure its best you stay within your insurance plan. The cost will keep going up leaving you with very large co-pay. I live in some small area in Indiana my bill was about 17K hospital alone, I'm sure Vegas is going to be much more expensive. I know that's not what you want to hear but I really think you be happier if you wait.

By the way do they have a waiting list for your hospital that you could be placed on in the event that a cancellation comes in you could go immedately. I ask because I had two cancellation take place on my surgery date and went in almost 3hours earlier. Hope this helps
Unread 10-22-2007, 01:36 PM
In Insurance Hell!!

Thanks ladyfaith! I agree this is what I'm going to have to do....we can't afford to get hit with costs, when there is no guarantee what the procedure will really end up being. The cancellation thing is a good idea, however, my Dr. wants my labs no more than 3-days prior to surgery so it might be tough fitting that in at the last minute....

I'm just hating the thought of being out of it for the holidays!

My Dr.'s nurse is checking other hospitals for me to find the shortest wait period and one that both the Dr. and my insurance work with. It might work out afterall--I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It means a longer drive to the hospital, but I really don't care much about the distance....

Hoping to be in by Halloween!!
Unread 10-22-2007, 01:48 PM
In Insurance Hell!!

It's got to be frustrating since it was all settled and now it's not but, unless you're well to do, it really makes sense to go where insurance will pay for it.

With diagnosis, surgery, and postop treatment, my total bill has come to nearly $30,000 in Illinois and I haven't had to pay a cent for it (fortunately, I'd rolled over money from my health fund or else I would've owed $1,200).

Good luck. I hope you can get this resolved in a way that is satisfactory for you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register