Silly Abdomen/underwear question! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Silly Abdomen/underwear question! Silly Abdomen/underwear question!

Unread 10-22-2007, 04:58 PM
Silly Abdomen/underwear question!

I feel silly asking this but here goes. I have found that since my surgery none of my pants seem to fit. My underwear is especially uncomfortable. This is making me wonder 2 things. Will this improve before the 6 week mark of returning to work or should I be ordering some different stuff? Next my stomach looks really weird. I had a bunch of loose skin from having my kids but in my clothes it did not show it just flattened out before surgery. Now it protrudes and looks like a band of rubber across my abdomen? Anyone else ever experience this and does it improve? I know I have other more pressing concerns to worry about during recovery, but I got a call from a colleague that did not know I was on medical leave and it made me start thinking about work, and that spiraled into this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2007, 05:19 PM

Why did you have your TAH? Mine was due to a huge uterine mass the size of a soccer ball so my pants fit better now that I've lost that.

Everyone has what they call a "fatty apron" (medically, it's called the omentum). My gyne/oncologist who did the surgery mentioned that this has a lot of uses and they like to try to use that to protect things. In my case, I had major bile duct surgery 15 years ago (which was likely protected by the omentum) so he did not want to touch it and possibly wreck the earlier surgery.

The omentum could be what you're seeing in a different spot.
Unread 10-22-2007, 06:11 PM

I feel your tight pants pain. I am at 3 weeks tomorrow and thought I should be able to get into my regular pants by now, but due to the continuing swelly belly and incision pain I am still wearing sweats and lounge pants. If you still have that uncomfortable feeling close to work date. I would pick up a couple new pair to get you through. Shopping always makes me feel better. Good Luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-22-2007, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubfan
Why did you have your TAH? Mine was due to a huge uterine mass the size of a soccer ball so my pants fit better now that I've lost that.

Everyone has what they call a "fatty apron" (medically, it's called the omentum). My gyne/oncologist who did the surgery mentioned that this has a lot of uses and they like to try to use that to protect things. In my case, I had major bile duct surgery 15 years ago (which was likely protected by the omentum) so he did not want to touch it and possibly wreck the earlier surgery.

The omentum could be what you're seeing in a different spot.
My surgery was due to endometriosis, unexplained continual bleeding, and a "suspicous" biopsy.
Unread 10-22-2007, 09:48 PM

I was able to wear my usual work clothes when I went back to work at 7 weeks. I wasn't comfortable wearing bikini panties or jeans for longer than that but am able to wear them now.
Unread 10-22-2007, 10:18 PM

I'm 6 weeks tomorrow and my belly has gone down considerably but I still have a little swollenness. I can't wear any of my regular pants yet (just un-comfortable). The doctor said it would get better.
Unread 10-23-2007, 03:15 AM

I bought myself some very big knickers before my surgery! They are hideous but comfortable. My DH laughs whenever he sees me in them and I wont hang them out on the line to dry, they would scare all the birds away! Two weeks post op and I'm dreaming of wearing my skimpy undies again....................

I had a laparotomy last September and remember having the overhang you describe Mrswillie, Mine was awful. It's just swelling of your tissues due to the trauma. It will subside over time but you may fine it doesn't go altoghether due to your scars inside and out. With mine, it was only visible slightly when I was stood up and naked. I have another overhang to deal with again but this time it doesn't look so bad.

Good luck
Unread 10-23-2007, 07:48 AM

I think many, many of us can relate to your post! I went to my 5 week post op yesterday. I am also still rather swelly and it just plain hurts my belly to wear jeans for very long. They fit comfortably but it bothers my skin if that makes sense?

I asked my doctor about it and she said you have lots more healing to go through and if you can't wear jeans or pants with a waistband and zipper, don't - until it doesn't hurt.

I have bought a couple pair of Spanx underwear and they give wonderful support. I went out and bought stretchy pants this weekend to wear to work until this goes away. Didn't make me happy and I'm convinced I'm going to be on "What Not to Wear" real soon.

Cubfan - I am envious of you - I had a big fibroid too and thought I'd wear my pants right away...
Unread 10-23-2007, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettriken
I bought myself some very big knickers before my surgery! They are hideous but comfortable. My DH laughs whenever he sees me in them and I wont hang them out on the line to dry, they would scare all the birds away! Two weeks post op and I'm dreaming of wearing my skimpy undies again....................

I had a laparotomy last September and remember having the overhang you describe Mrswillie, Mine was awful. It's just swelling of your tissues due to the trauma. It will subside over time but you may fine it doesn't go altoghether due to your scars inside and out. With mine, it was only visible slightly when I was stood up and naked. I have another overhang to deal with again but this time it doesn't look so bad.

Good luck
Wow that makes me fell better! Not too many people get what I am talking about with the overhang. I hope it gets better I would be happier with slightly visible, but I guess there's no changin what happens so we'll see how it turns out. Thanks!
Unread 10-23-2007, 09:42 AM

I can relate to your abdomen problem. I am coming up on 5 weeks and I just barely can get into my regular jeans and regular underwear. If I am around the house I just wear my comfortable warmups and my granny underwear.

My abdomen has gotten a little less swollen...it will go down. It just seems like it will NEVER go down.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register