How much is too much? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much is too much? How much is too much?

Unread 10-23-2007, 05:25 AM
How much is too much?

Hi, had T AH 8th October and haven't been too bad. I was thinking that the fear pre op was worse than the real thing. Desperate to get fit and not fat, had no advise about what to do from English hospital, so read on this forum to walk a bit! Walked round the supermarket Saturday, didn't lift or push anything but had to go to bed on return home as it felt as if my insides were falling out. Next day I walked round the garden for 15minutes completely exhausted and burning pain in stomach. Now two days later I feel an idiot I have undone all my good healing. In so much pain I can't tell whether its inside or outside that's hurting. Burning pain continues. DH and 4xDDs cross with me. Will this go? How far am I supposed to walk? Shall I go to the doctor or will that be just another person shouting at me?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2007, 06:52 AM
How much is too much?

Everyone is different, I was reading some women walking down their street the first week, I myself would only walk to the kitchen or bathroom then back to

If you are feeling that bad you should call your doctor don't worry about them yelling at you, your health and healing are the most important right now.

Best of Luck to you.
Unread 10-23-2007, 07:33 AM
How much is too much?

HI Jacquelinewetto!

I received a booklet in the hospital from the physio which is quite good. It states the following ' Try to take 1-2 regular short walks during the day, setting yourself a target of a 10 min walk for the 1st 1-2 weeks, a 15 min walk by 4 weeks and by 6 weeks post op you should be able to manage a couple of 20 min brisk walks per day.' The booklet is produced by The Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Women's Health (ACPWH) web site www.acpwh.org.uk - you'll be able to find a physio in your area through that I think.

Take it easy - which I'm finding very hard - and go to your Doctor if you feel bad - I keep having to tell myself that there are loads of internal stitches to mind so I have to take it easy.

Mind Yourself

Roxy01
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-23-2007, 10:09 AM
How much is too much?

Hello there I think the message is to walk and to drink plenty of water! Seriously the physio had me walking up and down and standing tall not clutching my stomach in the hospital. Had post operative exercises to do and a sheet from the physio at the hospital and the consultant as to how much to do and when. Hystersisters checkpoints are useful too. I had a stay in an English hospital too. I hope you continue to do well. When I was home I did ten minute walks around the garden for about the first two weeks until I was eating and drinking normally again. Supermarket trips were a definite no-no. Best wishes.
Unread 10-26-2007, 05:01 AM
How much is too much?

Thanks to Bagpuss45 and. Roxy 01,
I've had a miserable 3 days in bed crying with pain. Doctor says I just did too much too soon, set myself back a week so take heed all you hyster sisters out there. I guess it takes time even if, like me, you were quite fit beforehand
Unread 10-26-2007, 05:23 AM
How much is too much?

jacquelinewetto

A hysterectomy is major surgery and the vital, initial healing takes approximately 6 weeks. Full recovery then takes anything from 3 months to a year. A huge amount of work has gone on inside, with hundreds of internal stitches.

I think the common misconception is that, because hysterectomies are so common, they are minor/easy/simple surgeries. I thought that! Unfortunately, I didn't find this site before my surgery but I was lucky in that the medical staff made every effort to stress just how big a deal the procedure is.

If you haven't done so already, it may help to read the following HS articles <links> Checkpoint Post-Op Weeks 1-2 (which will give you an idea of how your first couple of weeks should have been) and Doing Too Much, Too Soon.

Please try to rest now for as long as possible. The initial weeks of healing are absolutely vital as you obviously don't get them over again.

Wishing you all the very best for a smooth recovery from here-on-in. Take care!

Unread 10-27-2007, 12:00 PM
How much is too much?

Dear Jaquelinewetto I'm very sorry that you have done too much and need to rest now. I have just returned from a half term break. It is very early days in terms of your recovery. If you can get someone else to do most of the chores and cooking then let them. The amount of rest and sleep that you have early on will help you in the long run. There is plenty of support here and sensible advice. I hope that you continue to heal well. Jane alias Bagpuss.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register