Surgical menopause symptoms - Page 6 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgical menopause symptoms Surgical menopause symptoms

Unread 10-26-2007, 07:25 PM
Surgical menopause symptoms

Most people seem to not sleep well. I wonder if anyone gets a whole night sleep after surgery? I'm hoping one day I won't have to take sleep medication as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2007, 08:21 PM

I just passed my six month mark on my hysterectomy and I can't believe I made it this far without any HRT. I never thought at the beginning that I could do it. I can't take HRT so I'm one of the unlucky ones, but I do notice that my hormones have started to settle down. Sometimes, when something upsets me I will cry. Something I never did before. But I am sleeping much better and am starting to have more energy. I just take it one day at a time. My primary dr. just prescribed some estrogen cream for me because I'm starting to notice a lot of dryness and when I wipe myself it hurts. This doesn't mean that I didn't have a lot of symptoms during these six months, but because I had extra weight, I think that was on my side. I had more places for the estrogen in my body to be stored. Now I'm trying to lose the weight so I don't know how things will be when I reach my goal weight. But that is a long way to go anyway.
Unread 10-27-2007, 04:02 PM

I am 2 weeks post-op and had my first mild hot flash last night while watching TV. My mother is still here (till Monday) and figures it will get worse. I'm just starting to get tension headaches which I've been having for about a year anyway. . .generally they turn into raging migraines so I'm worried.

I had my hysterectomy due to endo cancer so I don't think I should be taking estrogen. . .with a locum for my GP telling me no HRT but a surgical resident gave me a six week prescription for Climara. . .so I'm horribly confused and haven't filled the prescription yet. I see the gyn/onc in 4 weeks so I'll discuss it with her.

I came by this site today hoping there was info about a book on surgical menopause. I too have only found one or two page references on it and find the rest of the information on normal menopause changes confusing since it doesn't necessarily relate. . .I'm wondering if the chemical process is the same. . .there seems to be no information on that. I'm 42 and I wasn't even in peri-menopause to my knowledge.

I'm so confused by what's going on in my body. That double whammy of getting diagnosed in late August and having all the repro plumbing removed 6 weeks later hasn't given me any time to process. I love having my mother around but I'm feeling like a wounded animal right now and just want to be alone in private to lick my wounds. My mother is out right now and DH is taking a nap so I am shedding a few tears. . . I hate anyone seeing me cry.

The only good news though I resent the bejeebers out of calling it good news since nothing about this is good. . .is that I was told I need no further treatment. . .early stage and low grade. I'll just be monitored for the next few years.

edit: I found some books in these forums under "shopping". I am definately going to look into them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2007, 01:02 AM

I am almost 8 weeks post op and for the past week have been having the worst hot flashes, I'm still spotting and feel exhausted all the time, I've also been real forgetful and having trouble paying attention for too long. I still have my ovaries so I don't understand what's happening, my dr. was in a hurry when I went in so he sort of shooed me away and told me to come back in 3 weeks. I can't wait that long, I think I'm going to make another appt. asap. Good luck to all you ladies going through surgical menopause, hang in there.
Unread 10-28-2007, 08:48 AM

WOW, I'm so glad I'm reading this! It's so much like what I'm going thru! I honestly thought I was crazy b/c of the hot flashes, then freezing spells. It's strange how I go from comfortable, to HOT, then COLD again! I have been a little moody, but part of that was b/c I had been out of the house & probably overdid it. ALSO, I take Lexapro for mild depression that I've had since 2002. My prescription had run out, & I didn't remember to ask anyone to go get it....3 days later I'm in tears and feeling absolutley miserable. I'm better now. Got all the meds going. NO HRT at the time. I'm afraid of it b/c of headaches. I'm taking a calcium mulit vitamin w/ added soy to help w/ hot flashes. Just started that last night, so not sure if it's working yet. I have to believe that it WILL balance out soon. Part of my problem is not having enough energy to do what I used to do! Kids are wonderful though, and I have the BEST Husband in the world!!! Good luck ladies! It's nice to know I'm not here going thru this alone! Keep posting!!!
Unread 10-28-2007, 02:47 PM

I had surgery 10/23 okay so far, had 3 day patch until friday then started premarin 1.25. I am also on synthroid for my thyroid have been for 15 yrs. Have been reading about estrogen messing with thyroid and starting to worry some. I took me several years to get the thyroid thing straightened out. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. I have never had a weight issue and don't want one now. The things we can up with to worry about are never ending. I wish I could just stop it. I really feel no different than before I had the surgery. I even had more pain and pressure in my back and belly before tuesday.
Unread 10-28-2007, 03:59 PM

I just know that estrogen in prescription strength doesn't like me -- not BC pills (in my "youth") nor anything I've tried so far. That's why I'm starting with the OTC strengths. No headaches at all, so if and when I need something stronger, I will start with the smallest possible dose and go up from there. I'm really hoping I can keep doing what I'm doing. I don't mind a little sweat, but like you, golfer123, I can take sweat over headaches.

When I finally took the plunge and ripped off the vivelle dot, I, too, was very afraid of feeling worse (not having ovaries), but so far so good and that was almost three weeks ago now. Also, the doctor told me that all I had to do was call when I wanted a prescription. He said that the only concern with NOT taking HRT was osteoporosis, but to exercise and take cal/mag and Vit D. We'll monitor that yearly.

In your cases, maybe you just need to cut your doses down a little? I'm certainly no expert, but I know in my case, the headaches were from the estrogen -- plain and simple.
Good luck to you all. I know how you feel
Unread 10-29-2007, 10:18 AM

Tension Headaches are really my BIG problem. I have a DR appointment today to find out what my primary DR can do for me. I think that's were I should go. My OB is really working on my hormones. But I think I need some else. Has anyone taken anything for tension, nervousness.
Unread 10-29-2007, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer123
Tension Headaches are really my BIG problem. I have a DR appointment today to find out what my primary DR can do for me. I think that's were I should go. My OB is really working on my hormones. But I think I need some else. Has anyone taken anything for tension, nervousness.
For nervousness/anxiety I take lexapro. It's a antianxiety/antdepresant. It helps me to feel less nervous. I don't know if it will help with tension headaches. I hope your primary dr. helps. That's who I get mine from. My ob/gyn is working on the hormones too. Good luck to you. Kathy

ps. when I have sever anxienty or panic attacks I take xanax . When I get sleep I'm less axnious as well and for now I take ambien to sleep
Unread 10-29-2007, 10:32 AM

I am taking ativan for about 2 years now for stress, I first took xanax because it was what my mom always took, but xanax tends to stay in your system longer than the ativan so I switched, I used to take it daily but since I have started sleeping better with my new script of ambien I Noticed Im not as stressed during the day as I used to be. Seems weird no? I do have sore temples, Cluster headaches? not sure but with or with out a headache my temples are sore, was so worried about a clot for a while.. man I am so much more paranoid now that I am menopaual anyone else???

I Have been getting more headaches the past week, I think its my allergies and the smoke from all the fires in So Ca where I reside... I started taking claritan in hopes of helping.. Are you sleeping well? I dont care what anyone says, no
amount of deep breathing or trying to stay calm didnt help me either, I was a ball of stress, I am so happy I see I am a lot calmer with better sleep... I only take my antivan on the days I dont take my ambien I dont want to mix them.. good luck! keep us updated

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register