Surgical menopause symptoms - Page 7 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgical menopause symptoms Surgical menopause symptoms

Unread 10-29-2007, 10:48 AM
Surgical menopause symptoms

I have to tell you that I have had a major shift in my sleep patterns this last week. I toss and turn and then when i fall asleep I am up every hour and a half. the trouble falling asleep I believe is because of the pain in my legs and rear end not to mention my legs keep falling asleep. I have been doing a lot more walking these last couple of days hoping it will ease the pain. I am on estrace 2mg my hot flashes have eased up a bunch and i do not have a headache problem. I am supery weepy though. i am finding the last 2 days that my hands are ice cold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2007, 11:03 AM

Hi, I found I had to lower my dose of HRT due to my bones ached so bad!! I know this because I didnt take them for a few months out of the hospital and once started getting :burning: HOT FLASHES or warm fuzzies (mini hot flahes) I did break down and call my OB she gave me 0.0375 MG weekly patch, the next morning I woke up I could barly walk! Evey bone in my body was so sore, so I thought ok, maybe its the HRT. I took it off after a few days and with in a few days my bones stopped aching, I was still getting warm fuzzies and such so I asked for a lower dose and got a 0.025 MG Patch . I still get warm fuzzies but at least my bones dont ache. I do know STRESS can make your body ache all over, I know I used to be the biggest ball of stress for YEARS! I take ativan to stay calm when I need it but with out the extra hormones I seem to stay calmer and plus I have been sleeping better with ambien. ask your doc if you can try a lower dose of HRT or use one every other day, see if this helps.. plus try to get some sleep, I know I didnt sleep for years until this past few months with my great new ambien, it has helped I dont take them on weekends, and I tend to sleep well then too, I think my body clock is being reset, thats a great feeling!!! GOOD LUCK!
Unread 10-29-2007, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presouz
I am taking ativan for about 2 years Seems weird no? I do have sore temples, Cluster headaches? not sure but with or with out a headache my temples are sore, was so worried about a clot for a while.. man I am so much more paranoid now that I am menopaual anyone else???
keep us updated
Sister, I have been a huge stress ball since I've been home from hospital last Tuesday. I take Xaxax but doeor mussn't seem to be working well. I took Ativan years ago and then Klonopin which stays in your system for days. I worry about clots, sore shoulders, headaches, tingling fingers, you name it. I know its all stressed related or muscular but panic is my middle names. The sudden menopause is horrible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2007, 08:58 PM

You are not alone, I went through the same thing. Approx 3-4 months after my surgery I lost it - crying, angry,etc. My husband did something minor (like forgot to take out the trash - I don't even remember) and I told him I wanted a divorce, I told him to get out, it was over. Luckily, he had the sense to know what was going on when I did not. I am still working on getting the correct hormone balance for everything, but it does get better.
Unread 10-29-2007, 09:12 PM

OH Sisters, I wish you both well, I am so sorry for your troubles..... I am getting warm fuzzies and taking a low dose of HRT, I am only taking .025 mg in a patch form, its really makes my sweat stink! UGh.. cant imagine if I took a higher dose. I can deal with the warm fuzzies, I get a hot flash every now and then mostly when I am confronted by stressful things. I really seem to be calm these days, hope it stays that way, I am lazy as a lizard on a log on a warm day!! WISH I had more energy... GOOD LUCK LADIES!!
Unread 10-30-2007, 02:11 PM

GOOD LUCK LADIES!!!
Unread 10-30-2007, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamrose228
Sister, I have been a huge stress ball since I've been home from hospital last Tuesday. I take Xaxax but doeor mussn't seem to be working well. I took Ativan years ago and then Klonopin which stays in your system for days. I worry about clots, sore shoulders, headaches, tingling fingers, you name it. I know its all stressed related or muscular but panic is my middle names. The sudden menopause is horrible.

It isn't a cakewalk, that's for sure. Before I had the surgery, I was assured by my drs. that I could take HRT and I would feel good as new, probably better. I kept bleeding because of fibroids and I had endometriosis too. Well, after the surgery, surprise, you can't take HRT. You are a poor risk. So I 2 other opinions. Both other drs. said the same thing. So I have gone through it cold turkey since the day of the surgery. I'm 45 but I was 44 when I had the surgery and I was having regular periods. It didn't look like menopause was around the corner. It was hell for a while. And sometimes still is. My primary dr. finally gave me some vaginal estrogen cream, and that helps. But that's all I use and I only use it a few times a week. But it's helped with the dryness. I went through a horrible depression after the surgery, and I was already on antidepressants or anxiety attacks and depression. I would cry at the drop of a hat. I bit everyone's head off. I couldn't even stand being in my body. Now, things have quieted down a little, but I still feel more anxious now than before the surgery. I go for a while without having any hot flashes and then they hit like a ton of bricks. I always have to sleep with my shirt off and I can't stand the blankets. My drs. made it sound like this surgery was going to solve everything. Yeah, it stopped the bleeding and I'm not anemic anymore, but I'm always hot. So I just traded some symptoms for others. They made it sound like I'd feel like a new person. Yeah, right!!!!!!!!!
Unread 10-31-2007, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvs2Quilt
My drs. made it sound like this surgery was going to solve everything. Yeah, it stopped the bleeding and I'm not anemic anymore, but I'm always hot. So I just traded some symptoms for others. They made it sound like I'd feel like a new person. Yeah, right!!!!!!!!!
I totally agree. A friend asked me if I felt better than I did before surgery, I had to say "actually, no I don't"!

I guess it's still early days for me (3 1/2 weeks) so I'm assuming things will get better, but some days it doesn't seem like it.
Unread 10-31-2007, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klgm
Golfer123 and others: I am four weeks post-op. Don't know your ages (I'm 47), but I found that I don't need the hormones yet. That's why I was having headaches. I was on Enjuvia 1.25, down to half, then Vivelle Dot .5 -- still had a headache. Finally ripped the thing off and within hours, the headache died down -- gone the next day and no headaches since.
If you're like me, the HRT could be the problem -- at least so early post op. I decided that until I knew what my symptoms were, I wouldn't know what I was treating. I was a little scared the headaches would come on with a vengeance if I went cold turkey, but that didn't happen. I have felt great since going off the estrogen. (I am using over the counter creams -- progesterone and estriol as well as herbal feminine "stuff" -- black cohosh, etc. and multivitamins)
Good luck
Im 43 and I did not want to take anything. And everything I heard about HRT was not good. I am also taking remifemem, it's (black cohosh) herbal stuff. I have felt great. I do get flashes but they are very mild and not very often. It's been 7 weeks since my surgery and it was the best thing I 've ever done and should of done it years ago! I hope you all have as good of a recovery as I did. Good Luck to you all, Sherri

43yrs (TAH)
Unread 10-31-2007, 06:06 AM

Yep, some days I feel wonderful and others I just want to cry, no hot flashes just went for my 3 week post op yesterday, he changed my hrt with one that had a little male hormone, so we will see still cry easliy and very moody according to my boyfriend, still no sleep

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register