Thyroid And Hormone Replacement | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > Hormone and Menopause Central

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Thyroid And Hormone Replacement Thyroid And Hormone Replacement

Unread 10-24-2007, 05:18 PM
Thyroid And Hormone Replacement

Hi, again. I am currently taking Estrogel since about 3 weeks ago. I am not feeling any better, really. Still fatigued and no energy, not to mention my weight is at a stand still. My general doctor mentioned that my thyroid was borderline low and I might benefit from starting Synthroid at 75 mg. After researching it on line, I am scared to start it! The side effects ranging from heart palpitations to weight GAIN scare me. Not to mention that it is supposed to have some interaction with Estrogel. Can anyone help? or does anyone have any insight into this. Maybe someone out there is on Estrogel and Synthroid? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2007, 01:30 AM

Hi retrogurl - it may be best to wait a few more weeks before making a decision, as the benefits of ERT take a while to kick in. Also, that could give you the chance to have another thyroid check to see what those hormones are up to.

IMHO starting someone off on 75 mcg synthroid is too much for someone who is borderline... but if you find you have unpleasant side effects, you can stop or lower the dose. I started out low and worked up until I found the dose which was best for me.

I have juggled HRT and thyroxine for many years now. I think there is a connection and a theory that the oestrogen binds with the thyroxine, making it less effective in the body. I have actually found that when I stopped HRT, I felt better thyroid wise.

It is a all very delicate balance and a very personal thing, but the right amount of thyroxine can make a huge difference.. but it also takes a while before you feel the benefit.

Good luck!
Unread 10-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Thyroid/BHRT

I'm waiting until the right timing to test my hormones before taking BHRT. Doc said my blood numbers low(which means high for thyroid) Recently found out that that several women (aunts) had thyroid removed and/or nodules needing to be removed. I've been perimenopausal for at least 5 years coming and now feel need to get hormones problem dealt with symptoms becoming extreme. I have no idea where I'm at with hormones or how to deal with the thyroid problem and how it interacts or will interact with the BHRT I'll be taking. Read recent posts about PE and concerned about starting to take any other meds before I'm "all clear" past the surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scriv
Hi retrogurl - it may be best to wait a few more weeks before making a decision, as the benefits of ERT take a while to kick in. Also, that could give you the chance to have another thyroid check to see what those hormones are up to.

IMHO starting someone off on 75 mcg synthroid is too much for someone who is borderline... but if you find you have unpleasant side effects, you can stop or lower the dose. I started out low and worked up until I found the dose which was best for me.

I have juggled HRT and thyroxine for many years now. I think there is a connection and a theory that the oestrogen binds with the thyroxine, making it less effective in the body. I have actually found that when I stopped HRT, I felt better thyroid wise.

It is a all very delicate balance and a very personal thing, but the right amount of thyroxine can make a huge difference.. but it also takes a while before you feel the benefit.

Good luck!
I had surgery on 10/23 I have been on synthyroid for 15 years started at .50mg and worked up. dose has changed from .125mg to .150mg and currently on .125mg since 2 months before surgery. Have you had to increase your dose since being on estrogen ? Dr. wants me to do premarin 1.25mg and back off from there. I have been fortunate enough to control my thyroid very well, didn't have problems controling weight or anything. Now with no ovaries or anything else and being 50 I don't want to start having any problems.
Unread 10-30-2007, 10:46 PM

havent started the thyroid yet, I have been too scared. I dont like taking anything, even tylenol, since I am so sensitive to everything. I have been on the Estrogel about 3-4 weeks now and not really feeling any different. I felt good the first 2 days I started it, now i am back to being fatigued and all around blah. On top of all this I am also B12 deficient and take B12 injections every 3 weeks or when I feel that I am slumping. I just want to start feeling well again and have some energy.
Unread 10-30-2007, 11:18 PM

from what I understand about estrogen and thyroid. the estrogen can actually make your thyroid become sluggish if it never has been. When I was first diagnosed hypothyroid, was after the birth of my second child I just never felt good afterwards, tired, depressed and just couldn't get over it. After several attempts taking different antidepressants (which did no good), I was sent to see endocrine doctor. DX: primary hypothyroidism I hate to take any meds either,but that little pill daily made all the difference in my life. I am worried that the premarin will mess with my thyroid and I am going to stay on top of it.
Unread 10-31-2007, 07:31 AM

Same here! My thyroid troubles also began after the birth of my daughter.
retrogul, don't be afraid of thyroxine. It makes such a difference if you are lacking it, believe us! Try to think of that little pill as replacing something the body can't make anymore and desperately needs. If you are B12 deficient, that is often linked with thyroid problems, so it does seem as if you are that way inclined. Also, being sensitive to lots of stuff is another thing I find.

I never found any side effects from thyroxine at all, only if I was on too high a dose.
Unread 10-31-2007, 07:47 AM

Every time my estrogen gets tweaked, my synthroid needs changing too. Hormones all interact with each other.

There is a difference between a med like Tylenol and a hormone which is replacing something that your body normally makes and needs to function properly.

It is important that you find a Dr though who has a real good understanding and interest in the way hormones all work together. The literature that comes with the synthroid recommends starting at .25 mg and working up from there. That is what my Dr did with me. Have you thought of seeing an endocrinologist? They are the hormone experts I know I have my first appointment with an endocrinologist in November. My family Dr recently admitted that she was just guessing at how to get it all balanced.

I hope you find the answers you need soon.

s,
Kay
Unread 10-31-2007, 09:48 AM

thanks for all your responses, I appreciate it. I was going to get a second opinion, definitely. I was also thinking of the endocrine doctor. I have worked in the medical field as an EMT for over 9 years and I have access to what doc's are good and who aren't, in my area. So that is a plus. My family doctor is the one who suggested Synthroid and wanted to start me at 75. She also said that she would adjust it as needed and she wasn't sure what dosage would work for me. I started working out again after being out of it for awhile and that does make me feel better. It's just the whole weight gain, sluggish feeling, that is getting me down.
Unread 10-31-2007, 10:42 AM

I know a handfull of women with hypothyroid that started w/the Synthroid and now take Armour instead. They all like the Armour better. you may want to check into this. ??

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register