C-section pain versus TAH/BSO pain. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

C-section pain versus TAH/BSO pain. C-section pain versus TAH/BSO pain.

Unread 07-10-2001, 06:38 PM
C-section pain versus TAH/BSO pain.

I've had two C-sections and am anticipating a TAH/BSO at the end of August. I was wondering if anyone out there has had both and how they compared regarding pain, recovery time etc.

Also, we have a water bed and I'm concerned about having trouble getting in and out after surgery. Any suggestions?

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE WONDERFUL INFORMATION!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2001, 09:08 PM

Jeanu-I had two c-sections-one in 1981 and one in 1983. Then I had my TAH/BSO this April. People kept telling me that the pain would be different. The big difference I noticed is that I am 90 pounds overweight. And when I had my c-sections I was only 30 pounds overweight due to pregnancy. So I had a belly to contend with this time around which pulled on the incision site and cause more pain then I think would have been had I been at the normal weight. The other thing I notice is that the healing is slower this time around. I am 45 and find that I still have soreness (not pain) even after three months. You really have to take it easier this time around, too, since things have been cut out and there is healing going on in there. I really don't feel pain from where the cutting inside was done. Most of my pain was around the edges of the incision and above it where the doctor cut nerves and they were trying to grow back! But remember to take a pillow and use it like when you had the c-section. Also, remember to take it slower. You should walk after the TAH but not like you did after the c-section since too much pulling on the internal stitches can cause pain and soreness and a very swelly belly later on. Do not lift things, and have others do for you. I remember after my c-section ( the first one) I was driving in a week. I couldn't do that for four weeks this time! I don't have a waterbed this time around. I did with my c-sections and didn't remember any problem getting out of them. But I could use my legs more and this time you are suppose to rest them legs! Have them up to not put any strain on the stitches! I did have to sleep in the recliner after myTAH since I couldn't lay down flat without alot of pain. And turning from side to side was very painful in the bed. I think I had that pain for a week or more then I realized that it didn't hurt anymore. The first two weeks seem like a very long time after the TAH but you will start feeling better as each week progresses. At least I did. But I found out today that stooping and bending can still cause a swelly belly and soreness. I still don't do the vacuuming, mostly because of carpal tunnel in m hands. But when I mopped the floor I had a sore belly also. So this recovery time is much longer than a c-section. I am told it can take six months to a year to feel like yourself again! Wow-that seems like a long time but I sure don't miss the periods and pain! Hope this helps!
Unread 07-10-2001, 09:29 PM

Thanks for the great info!

At least now I have some idea what to expect. I knew it would be more involved but it's nice to hear it from someone who has been there. I will also inform my DH and family that it will probably take longer before I'm back on my feet. I have some time yet (tentatively planned for end of August) so I'll keep busy until then freezing food and trying to do a few sit-ups to strengthen the abs and my back. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-10-2001, 10:30 PM
c-section pain vs TAH pain

I had a c- section in 1993 and three weeks ago I had a TAH/BSO. The incision does sting a little more then with the c-section I think you don't notice as much after the c-section (you're preoccupied with a new baby). It also seems like it is taking longer to recover from the TAH/BSO. I am average weight so I don't think that has much to do with it. The other woman's situation sounds exactly like mine. I hope this helps!
Unread 07-10-2001, 10:37 PM

I forgot to tell you about the waterbed thing. I also have a waterbed-unfortunately I had to sleep on the couch at first. Getting out of the waterbed was a nightmare. You can't strain (or even use) your muscles right after the surgery. BE CAREFUL!
Unread 07-10-2001, 11:40 PM

I have also been there. The abdominal hyst was definitely a lengthier, more involved recovery. Keep in mind that with a C-section, the baby is SUPPOSED to come out. With a hyst, you're losing a major organ, and the uterine ligaments are severed and reattached to various places inside you to support the structures that are left. This is a fragile situation for awhile.

The initial recovery for a TAH is 6-8 weeks. That means 6-8 weeks of taking it easy. Then you'll be able to gradually resume your normal routines.

A gyn has said that TOTAL healing from this major surgery takes at least 6 months to a year. My experience bears that out. I still "felt" my surgery through my 8th month...the twinges and pangs slowwwly tapered off.

As Debbie says, have others do for you, and take EVERYONE who offers help up on it! Especially offers to bring food, run errands, and clean for you.

My very best to you...

Linda
Unread 07-11-2001, 07:51 AM

I had a c-section 10 yrs ago, and feel that the TAH I had on 5/25 was way easier!! just my humble opionin.. I was in 5 days for the section, 3 days for the hyst.. I am now 6 weeks post, and feel great!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register