kinda of embarassed........... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

kinda of embarassed........... kinda of embarassed...........

Unread 10-26-2007, 02:11 PM
kinda of embarassed...........

ok I know it is a mental thing -- but I have a hard time standing in the isles at the store looking at the KY jellies, astroglides and the like.

I guess I just do not want anyone walking by wondering if I am buying it to play with toys -- or even worst -- playing with the back door ( sorry that one is not my cup of tea)

I know I should not be embarassed as it is a natural thing to need them.

But I know that I will be spending more time reading the labels rather than just seeing what is the best price.

the DR said to stay with something that is water based. --
but when I have tried to quickly read the rest of the ingrediants -- I keep seeing propylen glycol -- which is anti freeze -- not something that I want in my waahoo.

Then there is benzoine based products -- which I get blisters from. nope again -- not a place I want blisters.

ok -- lets have fun with this post --
how do you choose which lube to buy.

do you get it at Walmart- the grocery store -- or at the adult shop ( not sure that I can do that one) -- there is "private Fantasy" or something like that -- that has really nice sleep wear -- but their back room is full of toys -- I might be able to go there. On line is scary -- because I can not see the ingrediant list.

Sorry this is just freaking me out.

Really I am not a prude -- just for some reason -- this is a place I am having some issues.

help me make this fun -- and figure out which product is going to be the best
and how best to go about buying it.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2007, 04:27 PM

hi there. i just wanted to make a note on the propylene glycol...yes it is antifreeze, which means just that. addition of propylene glycol allows a substance to stay liquid at cooler temperatures. ethylene and diethylene glycol are usually used as automotive antifreeze, however propylene glycol based coolants do exist. propylene glycol is considered "generally safe" by the FDA and can be found in deodorant, toothpaste, cough syrups, baby wipes...even some vaginal estrogen creams. i've found that most water-based personal lubricants use propylene glycol as a preservative and have had no problems using them.

this being said, if you are uncomfortable with this you can google "organic personal lubricants". i found several pages that DO list all of the ingredients which DID NOT include propylene glycol.

hope this helps.

mere
Unread 10-26-2007, 04:44 PM

Try extra virgin olive oil!!! Non toxic all natural and I have not had a problem with staining. It is a great lube and a great massage oil as well. : )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2007, 05:41 PM

In order to spare yourself any embarrassment, you could do all your reading online and in the privacy of your own home. Once you choose the product you want, go to the store and purchase it. Or, you could purchase it online. No standing around in the aisle.
Unread 10-26-2007, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meresnead
...this being said, if you are uncomfortable with this you can google "organic personal lubricants". i found several pages that DO list all of the ingredients which DID NOT include propylene glycol.

hope this helps.

mere
I have not found a site that lists all the ingredients. Please do share this info. Thanks
Unread 10-26-2007, 06:15 PM

not old yet,

i pm'ed those to you. i think listing commercial sites violates hystersisters TOS, so if anyone else wants these, pm me.

mere
Unread 10-26-2007, 07:18 PM

please send me the ones that show the ingredients --
even the hyster siuster store does not list the ingredients.

I do not want to spend money on it -- only to not be able to use it.
thanks
Unread 10-26-2007, 07:19 PM

I understand your embarassment. I'm a bit self-conscious while looking at that stuff as well. As for an adult type store, we have one by us that is similar to what you described. With a little room in the back. We've gone in there a couple times, but haven't bought anything. I think if I ever buy something from that store, I will never go back!!!! Especially if it's a toy!!!!! Some of those are really strange looking.....

I'm a KY person. Warming, regular, whatever. I haven't tried the tingle stuff yet though..........gotta use up what I already have!

Anyone have opinions on the tingle stuff? We tried tingle condoms once, but the scent of spearmint or wintergreen (i get those mixed up) was a bit distracting.

You could try going onto Pure Romance or something like that. Those products are supposed to be really good. never tried one before.
Unread 10-26-2007, 07:20 PM

also must avoid anything with beeswax.

thanks
Unread 10-26-2007, 07:23 PM

from what I have seen some of the warming ones have benzoine in them --

sorry to keep pestering everyone --
but what I find online is only saying "all natural"
or contains this this this
but never a full description

since benzoine and propolene glycol are both a preservative they are not always listed when someone talks about all natural because they are trying to sell you on the grapefruit oil or the almond oil in them

(the propolyene glycol made say food grade -- still does not really mean it is a good thing for you -- it is what embalming fluid is -- and I am not ready for that)

it is only after you read the ingredients on the bottle itself that you find what is in them

Thanks everyone for your help.

still trying to figure out how to do this.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register