4 Months..still pain and swelling | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

4 Months..still pain and swelling 4 Months..still pain and swelling

Unread 10-26-2007, 03:34 PM
4 Months..still pain and swelling

My surgery was on 6/19/07...so its been 4 months! I had a Laproscopic Hysterectomy! My final checkup was good and doc said I dont need to come back for a year or as needed. My tummy keeps swelling. I have alot of pain...its not severe but does hurt and can be annoying. I have burning pain on the sides of my tummy and also pelvic area. I had mentioned some of this to my doc and she looked at me like she had no clue. I have read on here that others are having pain, so I guess I should not worry about it. My tummy area is still weak and I have alot of lower back pain, which I had before but it seems worse now.

I do have to carry groceries and laundry up and down stairs since I live alone. Do you think this is causing some problems or is it just the healing process that I have to endure? I cant go out shopping for too long before I am hurting. I am sure in the long run I will be happy with the results of the process I went thru but I guess I did not realize I would still hurt this much after 4 months.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Thank You!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2007, 04:29 PM

Hi Skye,

You do not know how releived I am to read your message. The whole reason I came back to this site is to see if someone is experiencing the same as I am.

This is what I am feeling: I can not wear regular panties or panty hose or even pants (without leaving the top open) as any pressure creates discomfort/pain. I get the burning sensation as well and occasionally "pokes" or sharp little needle jabs if I am sitting wrong or if there is pressure.

I have a belly which I think alot of is swelling, and it definetly is bigger at the end of the day.

Reading your message helped me to see that for some of us, this is natural. I have a client who is a retired nurse and she says to expect discomfort for 6 mos or so. My surgery was the 18th of july. I definetly still feel it!

Give yourself more time to heal.

Cheers,
Fredy
Unread 10-26-2007, 05:50 PM

Hello Fredy! Thanks for commenting!

I wear the stretch jeans that dont zip so I dont really have a problem with undies or my jeans.... But I sit alot at work and then come home and sit at my computer... I think the sitting has something to do with hurting so much, but I came looking for some answers also online and found this site...glad I did....helps to know that others have the same issues. I guess I was hoping at this point I would feel much better than I do.

I think we all just want the surgery behind us and to enjoy life more without the pain and discomfort. Hopefully in time that will happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2007, 06:41 PM

I have to say that I'm a little dissapointed to read your posts about pain and swelling months out from surgery. I'm at 11 weeks now and soooo tired of the swelling. I can't wait to get out of the darn stretchy pants. And isn't it amazing how fast you loose the strength of your stomach muscles? Heck, I'd be happy to just be able to sit up in bed in the morning without pushing up with my arms!

Have either of you tried experimenting with your diet? I find that when I make a point to dring plenty of water (60+oz per day) and stay away from salty foods I experience markedly less swelling.

Also, I've started noting that some activities tend to make me swellier than others. Maybe you've both thought of this kind of thing but I figured it was worth mentioning. Hope you're both feeling better soon. Here's to getting into our jeans again!
Unread 10-26-2007, 06:43 PM

Hi, so glad to read your post, its been just over 3months since mine have all the same moans and groans as well as itching and sometimes still feel bruised when touched. I guess it just takes a little longer for some of us. I was told by my doc that at around 6mths I would feel like a new woman, heres hoping
Unread 10-26-2007, 07:03 PM

I am almost 3 months out (had mine 8/1) and I have the whole swelly belly thing, which is still a bit annoying (of course not as bad as bleeding 21 days a month LOL) BUT what bothers me most is the numbness I still have around the incisional site. I will get an itch and when I go to scratch it I cannot feel it and it stays itchy! I cannot describe it to my husband, he just looks like I am crazy and says if you cannot feel it when you scratch, how can you feel that it is itchy!LOL
Unread 10-26-2007, 08:08 PM

Your post is exactlywhat I needed to read.... I am 4 mos out of surgery and have basically been able to return to normal activities. Except that nagging pain in my lower abdomen & swelling (which seems worse at night).

I am relieved to know others are dealing with the same issues..... I notice after excercise I experience the most pain. However, routine tasks (ie lifting, sitting for extended periods) also cause pain (4 on scale 1-10).

Sex wasn't a real plesant experience either.... I attempted that at 7 wks out and wished I had waited longer. I have an extremely high sex drive but, fear the pain and discomfort that I experienced during my last attempt.

Can anyone shed light on the 6mos theory and when sex will be pleasurable again?

Thanks to all for your help

~wynmom~
Unread 10-26-2007, 08:43 PM

Unfortunately I have been eating more after my surgery than before..lol. Eating out at lunch too much instead of coming home like I used to. So I never really thought about diet making a difference for my tummy. But I do think sitting so much in front of a computer all day is part of the problem and yep my tummy swells more at night...somtimes when I get up I have to hold my tummy and it does itch too.

But I am glad to hear others have the same problems and its not just me or that something is wrong. I guess its just part of the healing and we have to get thru it. It is nice to have a place where you can talk to people who understand and dont think your over reacting, ya know!

Plus I am overweight and I have to realize that the instruments had further to penetrate and a deeper healing process.
Unread 10-26-2007, 10:13 PM

Hi everyone,

Yes, I feel better (or suffer less) when I eat healthier. I find walking is not uncomfortable and I feel good afterwards. Other exercise does not feel good yet.

I know I need to drink more water too. Thank you for that reminder.

I am also experiencing the numbness between belly button and incision about the size of 2 - 3 inch spot. Tender inside the belly - worse when I overdo it.

Fatigue tho is very daunting.

Thanks again everyone - it is very very good to share experiences.

Hoping you all feel better soon. : ) Fredy
Unread 10-26-2007, 11:01 PM

What would we do without this site? I am four months out from a TAH (June 28) and am having the same pain we are all describing. The discomfort is hard to describe. I loved the post from Petrescue! The itch but not being able to feel the scratch would make any think we were crazy! LOL

My stomach aches a bit yet feels somewhat tingly from my belly button to the incision and then the numbness starts from there and goes all the way down. The inside of one of my thighs is numb and the other is not. Lopsided! LOL The numbness kind of hurts though. And tender everywhere. See, only we could understand all that. I thought about calling the doctor to ask him it but 1) I don't think he could understand and 2) this site let me know it is normal.

I don't tell my husband any of this. He gets weirded out over this kind of stuff and I would scare him away at night! Fortunately, no problems in that area LOL So it is wonderful to get on this site and whine a little bit. After all, we are all still princesses!

I do all my regular activities but every once in a while I ask my 11 year old son to unload all the water from the trunk (we buy 5-6 cases a week) and tell him I am just to tired to help. He is great and doesn't mind. The doctor told me I could resume all activities at eight weeks. I also bowl once a week so that was a concern at the eight or nine week mark in August. He gave the okay, said I couldn't hurt anything. A little sore at first, but great now!

Thanks to all of you for sharing - at least we know the healing process is normal. Where was the six to eight week healing process?!

This too shall pass. Have a good night!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register