36 yrs old and dont want hrt. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hormone Issues (HRT - No HRT) > No Uterus - No Ovaries - No Hormones - Managing Menopause

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

36 yrs old and dont want hrt. 36 yrs old and dont want hrt.

Unread 10-26-2007, 02:55 PM
36 yrs old and dont want hrt.

Hi there
Im so fed up of hrt and its side effects.
Can vitamins\minerals be enough to protect us from osteoperosis?
thankyou
sunshine1971
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-26-2007, 05:14 PM

When I told my dr that I wasn't going to take hrt's he said that I needed to take a good daily vitamin// then calcuim and vitamin D twice daily to protect my bones. So I had been doing only the vitamin thing for first 6 weeks. Now I have started on estrogen. I feel so much better. No more hot flashes or night sweats, sex drive is up, just feel normal again.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU
Unread 10-26-2007, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine1971
Hi there
Im so fed up of hrt and its side effects.
Can vitamins\minerals be enough to protect us from osteoperosis?
thankyou
sunshine1971

Sunshine,

You can take vitamins/minerals to help protect from osteoperosis, HRT can also help with other side effects that you may have. So I would talk to your Dr and others who know more about alternative methods to help if you having, hot flashes, night sweats, insomina or others, if you are not having any of these you are one lucky lady.

Weight bearing exercise is also necessary to help prevent osteo.

Barri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2007, 09:17 PM

I am also 36 and fed up with the ONE side effect am dealing with NOW with HRT - weight gain!?!?! Since have tried the estorgen patch for 2 months - gained 20 lbs. WHAT??? SOME weight gain is ok- 5 lbs - 20 ?- need new wardrobe and am SO unhappy with how i look!
Have tried NO HRT (for 2 years) and did a good daily vitamin & calcuim and vitamin D daily. So I had been doing the vitamin thing for first 2 years.

On estrogen, vivelle dot .05 = I feel so much better. No more hot flashes or night sweats, sex drive is up, just feel normal again. .....
but am FAT! and my stomach got huge - no no no !!! ugh - what a dilemma - and i cant decide - going to gym & eating VERY healthy - still gain a 1-2 lbs everytime i turn around.

SO i am going back to NO HRT for awhile - just to see if there's a big wieght change. not sure how am going to deal with hot flashes, moodiness - foggy brain and insomnia.... is why i decided to try hrt - the patch sounded good.

SO i am basically still looking ..................... researching - woud like the best of both worlds.
Unread 11-01-2007, 09:36 PM

1. Vitamin D with Calcium +Magnesium. Different opinions on the ration of Calcium to Magnesium. Some say 1:1 some say 2:1. Magnesium soften the bowel so work up to a high dosage of you do the 1:1 ratio.
2. Weight bearing exercise helps to maintain bone. It is VERY important that you engage in weight bearing exercise from now on.
Unread 11-01-2007, 09:38 PM

3. One more thing Progesterone, as I understand it, has bone BUILDING osteoblasts...progesterone you can get over the counter. You can also try Pregnenolone which converts to Progesterone and the later other sex hormones. Pregnenolone is also over the counter.
Unread 11-02-2007, 07:44 AM

You also should look up the WHI study that all this is based on. Look at the actual numbers, and decide what is best for you. The fact is, there is a double amount of risk of stroke with HRT (yes, estrogen only with hysterectomy) than there is a benefit of fractures and it equals out in blood clots. Breast cancer is still unknown. If you add pregesterone to this, it becomes even worse.

In other words...12 more women got strokes, 6 less women got fractures, 6 more women got blood clots.

This study is what everything is based on...all the advice that is. I would suggest everyone read it for themselves instead of asking your doctor to interpret it. And then decide what you want to deal with and what you don't. Is your personal quality of life issues worse than your fear or vice versa?
Unread 11-02-2007, 08:15 AM

I would suggest going to this site and looking at the info for yourself.
http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/whi/whi_faq.htm

The differences being tossed about were incorrectly looked at. The women in each study can not be compared. Ex: the estrogen only people in the studies were already in high risk groups due to high blood pressure obesity or heart diesase. Read the "fine print" don't just look at the bold headings. HRT is not right for everyone and the risks for you must be weighed carefully. Just don't go in blind, look up the things people are telling you to see how much is fact and how much is belief. You may decide that you don't want to risk it. Also, keep in mind that some sites are selling alternatives and are profiting from your fear/lack of knowledge.
Unread 11-02-2007, 08:25 AM

Good advice loki.

There is an actual site of the WHI study with the actual numbers in it and the updated study when done with estrogen only with a hysterectomy. (I believe it's something like whi.org)

THe interesting thing is, people have touted and I have believed for a quite some time that the study was never done with estrogen only and never done with women who had a hysterectomy and then I look and find that this is completely false.

I actually didn't start looking for myself until I saw that my new doctor had posted the study results in her office with the numbers in bold and then I started questioning everything I'd heard. Since I'm such a suspicious soul anyway, I was astounded I'd never questioned this before.

Anyway, bottom line (I believe) is that there is no really good, stand alone, medical reason to take estrogen supplementation. It is a personal choice based on how you feel and quality of life, more than anything else. Again, personal opinion.
Unread 11-02-2007, 08:37 AM

I also wish I had a good answer. I have just begun to travel this road and have been in medical menopause for a few months now. My Dr. put me on Premarin the same day I got my DepoLupron shot just as a quick fix incase I did not end up needing a hystie (which, it ends up, I do). He said a few months of HRT won't hurt me and will keep me comfie and are easy enough to go off of. Now, once I have my TAH/BSO in January, I will have to decide what I am going to do in earnest. I am 38 and medical protocol has you taking HRT until the general time that menopause would set in naturally (50-55). Scary. I have been and will be all over HRT studies until I find my personal answer, some thing I can live with.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register