Can't stay vertical more than a couple minutes....HELP!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can't stay vertical more than a couple minutes....HELP!! Can't stay vertical more than a couple minutes....HELP!!

Unread 10-27-2007, 06:53 AM
Can't stay vertical more than a couple minutes....HELP!!

My username is an acronym that means Didn't Want to Be A HysterSister But I Am! Anyone relate?!

OK, here's the deal. I've been a hystersister voyeur for almost 2 weeks since my abdominal hysterectomy (including both ovaries) on October 15. This site has been great as I've had a lot of my questions answered just by looking at the posts. But now I have a topic I haven't seen and can't find, so I went ahead and joined.

After getting over the constipation hurdle that first week, my recovery has gone extremely well. All bodily functions appear to be in working order, I'm moving extremely well (can sleep on either side), can get up with virtually no pain, have been off pain meds for at least a week, swelly belly is gone, have lots of things to celebrate. The problem is, once I get up, within just a couple of minutes, I get a pain on my left side (it feels like it is directly on the incision) that becomes worse and worse until I have to get into a reclining position asap! I keep hearing that I need to walk, but I was really hoping I'd be walking more than 2 or 3 minutes at a time by now! I called my doctor's office and they said to just let pain be my guide, but I'm getting concerned that it is not getting better. Anyone else experience this? When did it get better?? Everyone keeps saying don't rush it, it's been less than 2 weeks, but I need some hope it will get better!! Please help!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2007, 07:46 AM

I had a tah/bso with a bikini line incision. I was still taking pain meds at 2 weeks post op. I didn't need as much as I did at first but still needed them daily. An abdominal incision does make it difficult to sit up at first. I used my recliner a lot for the first several weeks as sitting vertically hurt.

I started walking the day after my surgery , adding time and distance as I felt up to it. Going slow and easy is the right way to do it. Don't try to rush it, listen to your body. Take the time to heal properly, don't risk complications.

BTW, I seemed to hit a wall at about 2 -3 weeks where I was afraid that I wasn't getting better. It seems to be pretty common. I think that it's because we start feeling better and get more active about then. I eased back and rested when I got tired or sore and did get through it. My dr explained that although initial healing is between 6-8 weeks - it can take up to a year or so for complete healing.

Best wishes.

S
Unread 10-27-2007, 07:50 AM
Thank you, Jean!

I'm in tears (could be just a hormone thing, but I'm feeling very grateful for your post!)- I just needed to hear it was normal and going to get better! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! Anyone else out there experienced this as well?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2007, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWBAHSBIA
I'm in tears (could be just a hormone thing, but I'm feeling very grateful for your post!)- I just needed to hear it was normal and going to get better! Thank you so much for taking the time to respond! Anyone else out there experienced this as well?
Hi DWBAHSBIA, I agree with the post above! The 1st 3 weeks were not pleasant for me, too much pain/discomfort. Thought I would never reach the other side od hyster world. I felt soooooo.... discouraged because I read alot posts where people felt great and had the same surgery on the same day and I was envious because I wanted to feel that way. I just wanted 1 good day-all day. Well that started about 3 1/2 to 4 week mark post/op. Don't be afraid to take your pain pills, they will allow you to be more mobile. I am a RN and when I had a patient who had surgery I would insists on them taking something for pain to make their day bearable and mine too Honey you had major not minor, MAJOR SURGERY and your body is speaking to you and you must listen. Don't be in pain if you don't have too. When you get those little twinges of pain, rest and do nothing. I cried to my DH because I thought that I would not get better but I did-slowly but surely. Hang in there and you will be on the other side just like me!
Unread 10-27-2007, 08:31 AM
Thank you, ShawnDenise!

I'm breathing easier now - thank you so much! I've been vascillating between taking the pain meds and not taking them. I have NO pain as long as I'm not vertical, and if I'm to make pain my guide then I'm figuring I shouldn't mask it. I just needed to know it was normal not to be walking for long periods of time yet as I seriously expected I would be walking around the block by now. I just needed to hear it was going to get better (even though I logically knew that, I needed to hear it from someone who's been here!). I like the 3 1/2 - 4 week benchmark - I will be looking forward to that. And if I'm no better by then, I'll be freaking out and posting back here! Thanks again for your response!
Unread 10-27-2007, 01:30 PM

I wanted to be working at 3 weeks (went to the dr for a consult on an ablation, found out I needed a Laproscopic "H word") THEN when I woke up I had an abdominal with lots of cutting!! I still expected to be back at work at 3 weeks SURPRISE! I couldn't even drive for 4 1/2 weeks - the hormones were making me sick and dizzy. I guess God has a way of slowing us down when we need it! I just started back at work - Part Time for a couple weeks...and am obeying Dr's orders and taking it easy.

I wish I would have thought of a cute name, I like yours! I fought this for years! I even would switch Drs when they mentioned the "H word" I had cysts that when would break would cause me to faint and heavy bleeding causing severe anemia. My husband went to my Drs appt and now here I am...better off

Take it easy and listen to your body, you'll start feeling better soon - you may have a few step backs too, and that's ok (I'm seeing swelling more now than before) it's all our bodies telling us it needs to heal in it's way, not our schedules dictating when we can feel better.
Unread 10-27-2007, 02:03 PM

Yes! I can relate. If anyone told me 2 months ago I'd be recovering from a hysterectomy I wouldn't have believed them, but here I am sitting around.

I, too, had my hysterectomy on the 15th (TAH/BSO) and I still can't stand up straight! I thought it was me. I really thought I'd be more mobile 12 days post-op, but I really can't walk far without really bad twinges in my abdomen. It REALLY SUCKS. It's not so much pain as it is a pulling of my insides. I was on the verge of calling my DR yesterday, when my mother reminded me that it's only been less than 2 weeks and I should have some patience. Woke up this morning feeling a little better while walking, but still not where I want to be. I guess it's true - it takes time to heal the insides.

I hope you're feeling better soon! I'll keep posting my progress (as slow as it is!), Please do the same.
Unread 10-27-2007, 02:22 PM

I remember feeling very weak at two weeks post op and needing plenty of rests. I managed to take small walks around our garden but was still needing some pain meds and a hot pad. I found that a semi reclining position was the most easiest on the tummy. I used a small pillow for support when I needed to get up. Please take care. If the pain gets any worse contact your drs.
Unread 10-27-2007, 02:32 PM

My doctor said nothing but rest and walking for six weeks. At first I could only walk around the house or out into the yard and back. It takes time, but I feel great now!
Unread 10-27-2007, 02:41 PM

I also had my TAH/BSO on 10/15, and I cannot believe how much pain I am still having. When I am on my feet, I can barely wait to sit/lie down there is so much pain, pressure, burning, etc. I feel like my what's left inside (which isn't much) is just gonna fall out on the floor!

Today I made a BIG mistake and rode along in the car with my hubby to pick something up - about 40 minutes round trip. I didn't think I was going to survive the trip it hurt so much. I did not even get out of the car, but the bumps in the road were brutal.

Now, of course, I am bleeding a little from the vagina. Wow, was I ever stupid. I was just so nuts from being in the house for almost 2 weeks that I just wanted to see something!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register