Post-Op Sleeping Arrangement...? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-Op Sleeping Arrangement...? Post-Op Sleeping Arrangement...?

Unread 10-27-2007, 07:53 AM
Post-Op Sleeping Arrangement...?

I had TAH/BSO on 9/19/07 so I am almost 6 weeks post-op. I have had a few minor issues with recovery like incision opening and draining for a little over 2 weeks, reaction to adhesive on Estradiol patch and insomnia.

After surgery I slept downstairs on our couch (huge sectional) because I could not take going up/down the stairs of our house. My husband understood this; he even slept downstairs on the other end of the couch for the first week I was home in case I needed him during the middle of the night.

I tried to sleep upstairs one night a little over two weeks post-op and could not get comfortable plus with my insomnia I was awake and tried to just lay there and not wake my husband and hopefully fall back to sleep quickly...not! What a miserable night.

My husband's feelings are hurt that I still have not been sleeping upstairs in our bed after 5 weeks. We have a good marriage and relationship so there are no issues with husband. He was wonderful after surgery and has taken good care of me. So last night I tried to sleep in our bed. I managed to fall asleep, slept maybe one and half hour and woke up for about two hours, dozed on and off very miserably for an hour, awake one to two hours - this went on the whole night. I finally just got up.

I felt comfortable on the couch, it sort of felt like a cocoon between the back of the couch and all the pillows I have been using. Plus I had the luxury of the big screen tv and my computer in our downstairs office when I had insomnia. I know I need to steer things back to normal because I go back to work on Halloween day. I should be sleeping in our bed (by the way this is a new ultra comfortable bed we bought just before surgery) and trying to get "life" back on track but last night I missed my couch.

Have any other sisters had issues with getting sleeping arrangements back to normal after surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2007, 08:05 AM

have you asked your dr for something for the insomnia? that might help you feel more comfortable in your own bed and you'll get the rest you need to go back to work.
you could also try a body pillow if you like the way the couch felt.
Unread 10-27-2007, 08:25 AM

I bet that once you start working you will bel so tired when it comes time for bed that your will welcome your new bed. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2007, 08:40 AM

I had these problems long before surgery because my DH snores and I am a very light sleeper. My DH works 6p-2a and I work 7a-3p so when he comes home about 3am, I am deep in REM sleep. If he comes to bedroom he wakes me up and I can not get back to sleep but he falls asleep instantaneously and SNORES and I become very irritated. So after much debate, arguements, and hurt feelings we came to a truce. I take sleeping pills and have earplugs! When we both work, he sleeps downstairs. When we are off work together we sleep together. It means more to him to be at my side and hurts him when we don't sleep together so I try to be understanding but there are days when I have kicked him out of room or I just go downstairs and sleep on couch. It works but not ideal! Funny thing, ther are times when he does not snore I wake him up because I think something is wrong
Unread 10-27-2007, 08:47 AM

I can understand your delema. I could not get an ounce of sleep the first nite at the hospital because the woman in the next bed snored all nite. I asked the Dr. if I could go home after only one full day and nit there. I told him I wasn't sleeping and was tired and irritated so he let me go home. It was so good to finally sleep. I live alone so don't have the snoring....
Unread 10-27-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledge_219
I had TAH/BSO on 9/19/07 so I am almost 6 weeks post-op. I have had a few minor issues with recovery like incision opening and draining for a little over 2 weeks, reaction to adhesive on Estradiol patch and insomnia.

After surgery I slept downstairs on our couch (huge sectional) because I could not take going up/down the stairs of our house. My husband understood this; he even slept downstairs on the other end of the couch for the first week I was home in case I needed him during the middle of the night.

I tried to sleep upstairs one night a little over two weeks post-op and could not get comfortable plus with my insomnia I was awake and tried to just lay there and not wake my husband and hopefully fall back to sleep quickly...not! What a miserable night.

My husband's feelings are hurt that I still have not been sleeping upstairs in our bed after 5 weeks. We have a good marriage and relationship so there are no issues with husband. He was wonderful after surgery and has taken good care of me. So last night I tried to sleep in our bed. I managed to fall asleep, slept maybe one and half hour and woke up for about two hours, dozed on and off very miserably for an hour, awake one to two hours - this went on the whole night. I finally just got up.

I felt comfortable on the couch, it sort of felt like a cocoon between the back of the couch and all the pillows I have been using. Plus I had the luxury of the big screen tv and my computer in our downstairs office when I had insomnia. I know I need to steer things back to normal because I go back to work on Halloween day. I should be sleeping in our bed (by the way this is a new ultra comfortable bed we bought just before surgery) and trying to get "life" back on track but last night I missed my couch.

Have any other sisters had issues with getting sleeping arrangements back to normal after surgery?
Ledge_219...I could have wrote, no lie, these exact words....I also have insomnia and I even take Lunesta for it for years...I am 9 weeks post and still sleep on the couch most nights...of course, my DH probably takes it personal also, but really does not state that too often....I grew to love the couch, as I am a very light sleeper, and as I may fall asleep, if I wake up in the night and he is even breathing too loud, I can't fall back to sleep..so off to the couch I go anyway...LOL....I find I can only fall asleep while watching TV and since he goes to bed alot earlier than I, I can't watch it in our bed......I also have my computer out here in the den.......and we just bought a brand new, posturepedic, pillow top mattress before my surgery also!!!...So I am right with you on these issues of feeling guilty because we actually sleep better somewhere other than our own bed...if it is any consolation, let him know, times are changing...I have been in Real Estate for a number of years...although, really not that active now, but I keep up with new market trends...one of the biggest things right now with new home construction is that alot of people are building (2) master bedroom suites in their houses so that husband and wife have their own little retreats...since sleeping patterns, working hours, ect...it makes sense...I think one of the statistics articles I read said that by the year 2013, I think it was, that more than 60% of new homes will have the double master suites....just thought I would pass this on as I found it very interesting
Unread 10-27-2007, 10:10 AM

I had my TAH/BSO on October 2 and I tried sleeping on our king size bed but it just didn’t work for me so I slept on the recliner in the living room. My bed is new and very comfy and I love my husband dearly but for right now the recliner suits me best. After my surgery I wake up off and on during the night and all of my stuff is right at my fingertips by the recliner. I’m really comfortable and I don’t disturb my husband’s sleep either. I’ll get back to our bed soon enough but for now I find this a peaceful arrangement where I can rest and heal in the cocoon like place you mentioned. Cocoon was the perfect word for my little area.
Unread 10-27-2007, 12:42 PM

[color=Indigo][font=Comic Sans MS]I was a tummy sleeper before my surgery. I've found that sleeping with a pillow on my side helps a bunch, when I try to roll over on my side - it supports my tummy a little. I wake up if I try to roll on my tummy, still to tender. I had pillows all around me and propped myself up for the first month - helped a lot! I'd still sleep that way if there was enough room on my bed -

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register