Could I now have a hernia? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Could I now have a hernia? Could I now have a hernia?

Unread 10-27-2007, 09:01 AM
Could I now have a hernia?

Hello. This is my 1st visit. I had a complete abd. hyst. on 10-10-07. I have had some problems, the latest which of course appeared when all doc;s offices are closed..late last night I noticed the left side if my incision was tender and red. when gently pressed I feel a swelling about the size of a walnut to the upper left just above the incision, could this be a hernia?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2007, 09:12 AM

i had swelling to the right of my belly button. when i called my dr about some bleeding i was having, i told him i thought i had a hernia also. he seemed shocked and said he is extremely careful and he doubted it was a hernia. i saw him the next day and he said it was just swelling and it would go down on its own. thankfully it did, but it did look like a hernia to me at the time. call your doc on monday and have it checked...and try not to worry. theres lots of swelling and healing left for you to do.
Unread 10-27-2007, 09:38 AM

Thank-you dressedupinblue for such a quik reply! Its reassuring to hear this type of swelling could be nothing more than just non-specific swelling..Thank-you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2007, 11:43 AM

One thing I read to do and I did and hope all my sisters do is to keep your torso straight by keeping and using a chair, cane, night stand, something to help you get up so you wont have any strain on your incision area. I did this for the first month, I was so scared of getting a hernia too. Did you keep your staples? NO LIFTING at all, this is a serious statement, don't take it lightly, I Couldn't lift anything over 10 pounds with one hand for 6 weeks after surgery. PLEASE be careful. The point of surgery is very delicate!! GOOD LUCK..
Unread 10-28-2007, 03:27 PM

Hi! Thanks, great info! I did (without thinking) lift a laundry bag of clean clothes, so I could dress...Also while in hosp. I had little choice other than figuring my own way out of bed, then to the outlet to unplug my drips..and thankfully hold a deathgrip on the pole and manuver myself to the bathroom...time after time due to milk of mag. induced diarrehea...It was awful! I also have an apparent abnormal section of small intestine that was disc. during the lapro. explore I had the same day..I am going to have my gastro. give his opinion as to this swollen firm spot, I see him on Tue. Do they normally give so much milk of mag. after surg.? I mean the prep itself was pretty harsh...then they start giving me what I thought was mylanta, I was complaining of bad gas pain &watery bm....not having ever really used mylanta or m.o.m I would not have known the difference between them..esp. when delivered in little unmarked cups...I still can't fathom my complaints being answered with a laxative..well at least I lost 11lbs in 8 days!
Unread 10-28-2007, 03:42 PM

oops..I missed your question about Staples..I got dissolving sutures and tape, lots & lots of tape!
Unread 10-28-2007, 06:48 PM

Wow, I didnt get any milk of Mag in the hospital, , infact I didnt have a movement for about 5 days after surgery I took MOM and it did work.. I brought and used Gax X for the gain pains, not sure why they gave you MOM for gas pains... so happy you got through it. I had belly button hernia surgery in 2003, coupled with a UTI that showed up on my post op testing with the meds and need to drink lots of water I was up every 30 min using the potty, I am sure that was not a good thing, I didnt know then about keeping your torso straight and I did think I strained a bit much getting in and out of bed, my bed back then was very high off the ground. I think I Have some issues in that spot but not bad enough to worry about yet.

GOOD LUCK Heal well and fast!!
Unread 10-29-2007, 06:33 AM

Hi, nice to meet you Presouz! This is an awesome site, so much info., I'm learning more here than any other source..including my own health care providers! I used gas-x daily from the minute I got home...stayed away from laxatives..far,far away! I had the opposite problem..I only had 1 day of mild constipation, that followed actually eating a "meal" I was really afraid to eat much for the first 10 days...I can't imagine 5 days of constipation; You too must have been very uncomfortable! UTI's ugghhh! they are the pits! Thankfully I have not had that problem as a result of surg. I plan to find out who ordered all the doses of mom , I really think there was a mix up of some kind... Overall I'm feeling pretty good at this point, a few odd sensations now and then mostly around incision and some lingering gas issues. I feel Esp, good today, had a bad case of "ants in the pants" and got the dear husband to take me to the local flea-market yesterday to do some "shopping for treasures therapy" one of my most favorite passtimes!!It was soooooooo nice to get out for a while...found some goodies too! Happy Holloween!
Unread 10-29-2007, 11:25 AM

Nice to meet you too Purplesporster! Don't you just love this site!!?? I had my 15 yr old taking care of me, she was so great at it, I was in pain for most of my first 2 weeks. After that I stared feeling better, I think I am really on the road to recovery, I had a knee issue for almost 6 weeks now. I think it was gout, SO PAINFUL!!!! From doing research I found that since I had been taking mortin almost daily for my swelly belly and pain, and taking cranberry pills and cranberry juice for a feared UTI, that made my Uric Acid level a 6.0 the says thats OK I say she isnt the one who cant walk!! THAT IS HIGH!!! SHE IS SO LAME! I did some research and found drinking baking soda in water can create more alkali in your blood and cure gout, with the Prays to OUR GREAT GOD, this has forced me to start eating better too and with the drinking of the baking soda in the AM and in the PM I really can feel it healing, I am walking better then I could have in weeks! Praise THE LORD!
I wish I had the energy to want to go to a flea market, I went to the mall with my child on my second week of my knee problem it made it so much worse I had to stay in bed and at home for the next 4 weeks, man hard to drive, and grocery shop. Ok speaking of shopping need to go get my errands done before I get on the computer for my at home full time job! later all
Unread 10-31-2007, 01:14 PM

Hi! Yes, I do love this site! Sorry to hear about your gout, hopefully it's beginning to subside! I had an icky day yesterday! My mystery swelling turned out to be a hematoma...I had an appt. w/ my gastro. last evening..as I was lifting my swelly belly roll to "freshen up" just prior to leaving the darn thing popped open...scared me half to death! I grabbed a handful TP (of course I didn't have any gauze on hand) shoved it under the jelly roll and proceeded to the doc's office...I was further distressed when he stated He would not look at it because "it's not my work, you'll have to go to your Gyno or the ER! I was flabbergasted for a minute and told him, that perhaps instead of consulting about my operative reports, which were "not his work" it was best for Me to get right up and leave as I was not comfortable sitting there bleeding @ my incision packed w/ TP and going over all the details of my reports...that caused an about face with his reluctance! He looked at and confirmed a hematoma..expressed a bit more out( took a whole minute!) and prescribed keflex...I called My Gyno. this morn., He called back 6hrs later ...unconcerned, said to keep taking Keflex and Sched. an appt. for NOV.16! At this point I'm not so sure I'm even going to go back to this Gyno., I should have listened to my "inner voice' last year ..I started to read the operative reports and am freaking out.....lots of things happened during my surg. that I was not told about during my 4 day stay @ hosp... also I notice that the doses of m.o.m are not listed as meds given @ hosp...Oh well..off to look-up some of the medical terms I've never heard! Hope you are doing well!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register