Kinda Freaking Out! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Kinda Freaking Out! Kinda Freaking Out!

Unread 10-27-2007, 02:51 PM
Kinda Freaking Out!

I had a TAH leaving the left ovary, 13 days ago. After they took the staples out and put the steri strips on I had little to no drainage from the site. Yesterday I had some cramping like pain on the left side and last night I awoke to soaking wet undies and sheets. Today, I have had even more drainage with blood. I know it's normal for the drainage but is it normal to start after several days of not having any?
Also, I hate being in bed and have been on the couch most of the afternoons into the evenings. I sit up rather than lay down and I was wondering if this was a bad thing. I have an achy back and laying down all the time makes it worse.
But the drainage really freaked me out. I guess a little looks like a lot when it's soaked in the fabric.
I have a Dr. appt Tuesday morning for my 2 week follow-up. Do you think I can hold out till then and talk to her about it? There is no odor. It's just yellowish clear with some blood.
Thanks so much!
s
Tish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2007, 03:16 PM
Kinda Freaking Out!

Tish, I think you need to see the doctor now, not wait until Tuesday. Or at least call the answering service and have the doctor call you back and give you some direction. Don't wait.
Unread 10-27-2007, 04:03 PM
Kinda Freaking Out!

I agree, at least call the doc as soon as you can. If you've got an infection going, you'll want to get antibiotics started right away. I was closed with steri-strips only (no staples) and never had significant seepage. Keep us posted, and good luck!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2007, 05:52 PM
Kinda Freaking Out!

Thank you so much for reply. I tried to call and they haven't returned my call. If it keeps up I'm going to go ahead to ER.
Thanks again and I'll keep you updated.
s
Tish
Unread 10-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Kinda Freaking Out!

I had a TAH w/BSO 9/19/07. In my third week I was walking from my bathroom to my couch and two violent sneezes hit me while walking - no pillow in hand to brace myself with. I laid down on the couch and a couple of hours later I felt huge wet spot on my nightgown. My incision had opened up and was draining. The liquid was clear with a slight bit of blood mixed in. It really freaked me out.

I called my gyn and he told me not to be too concerned, to keep the incision clean and dry. He did not prescribe antibotics because I did not have a fever and told me to watch my temperature. He also said do not put any type of ointment on the opening as this would clog the hole and the drainage would stay inside (not drain out) and would become an infection. It is good that it is draining - I believe my gyn about letting it drain. My incision drained for two and half weeks, stopped and then occasionally would drain intermittently. The hole finally closed up (fingers crossed it stays that way). I would contact your doctor and make sure he/she is aware and find out how they want you to treat the drainage.

Hugs to you and hope you feel better soon.
Unread 10-27-2007, 06:16 PM
Kinda Freaking Out!

Thank you Ledge! I'm not running a fever and I too sneezed yesterday!!!! That's probably it! I've kept it clean using the anti-bacterial face/handwipes and put a gauze over it and it hasn't drained much since this afternoon. I'll keep an eye on my temp and keep trying to get in touch with my Dr.
Thanks again!!
s
Tish
Unread 10-28-2007, 04:46 PM
Kinda Freaking Out!

The drainage sounds a lot like what I had, which my doctor explained was called seroma and it's fluid that builds up under the skin. My doc said that it can cause infection, so it's good to keep the area clean and dry. It's also a good idea to have your Dr. check it out. If the area looks really red, or if you run a fever, see your doctor immediately. My drainage came and went for about three weeks, then disappeared. I used maxi pads and pantiliners stuck to my underwear to cover the spots where I leaked (my doc approved of this). They worked well -- and since I hopefully won't be needing to use them in the future for monthly reasons, I felt I was being economical.

Dawn
Unread 10-28-2007, 05:22 PM
Kinda Freaking Out!

Thanks for the info Dawn. I have been keeping a very close eye on it. It has drained a little bit today but not very much. I haven't had a fever and there is really no pain in the incision itself, just really sore inside and on the left. Hehe, I used up the last of my pads too. It is very economical. I lucked out and found a box of gauze too that was left over from when my Mom was sick.
I have had horrid gas today as well! But I dare not strain
I finally got a call back last night from the ER nurse and she told me if drainage took on an odor to come in ASAP. Well, duh!
Thanks again...it made me feel lots better to know I'm not the only that has had this come up!
s
Tish
Unread 11-01-2007, 03:09 PM
Kinda Freaking Out!

I am so glad I searched and found your post. I had a TAH/BSO, was 4 weeks post op and recovering nicely until I sneezed several times. The next thing I know my incision has 2 small holes near the left edge and it started to seep a bit of red tinged fluid. If I get a fever or if the holes get any larger then I have to call my doctor back. I was told to keep it clean and pat it dry after showering. My incision does get moist during the day and it does sting at times. I also feel some pulling when I’m standing so I am resting a lot. It’s kind of scary to me.
Unread 11-01-2007, 07:14 PM
Kinda Freaking Out!

Belle,
Mine stung too. It's getting better and the drainage has pretty much stopped except for the occasional little spot. I wear gauze just in case. It still stings too.
I feel that pulling too. I think it's our bladders adjusting to their new homes.
Always listen to your body and if you feel like you need to call your Dr then don't hesitate. And always post when you have a question. These ladies here are a God send.
s
Tish

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register