nasty bowel cramping and gas | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

nasty bowel cramping and gas nasty bowel cramping and gas

Unread 10-27-2007, 05:13 PM
nasty bowel cramping and gas

I have been home for 2 days, and I would like some help with bowel issues. I have lots of painful gas and bloating, and lots of horrible cramping with b.m. It has taken me by surprise and i want to know when it will ease up, and what I can do to help myself. this did not happen when I had my TRAM breast reconstruction last fall (huge horizontal ab incision to get tissue for the new breast.) is TAH / BSO that different? maybe doc had to manipulate the bowel more for this procedure? If I'm not much better Monday, I'll be calling him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2007, 05:36 PM

I'm so sorry you are having this trouble, but I am also! Geez, I have been miserable with my intestines since day #1. I had such a bad time last weekend that I actually popped two stitches from having 18 BMs in two days.

I still am all messed up and it's day #12 for me. Been eating lots of yogurt, and hoping and praying that this soon ends. Just had hubby buy me some peppermint tea...that supposedly helps. Also, peppermint capsules, but couldn't find them yet.

Been eating Mylanta-Gas also with simethicone. Good luck to you (and me also!)
Unread 10-27-2007, 05:58 PM

Pedialyte it great for helping with those nonstop BM's. I went thru that too with the horrid gas and the pain was astounding! I mixed the pedialyte with a little water because it's super sweet. Whatever you do, don't strain when having a BM! That can pop a stitch for sure. Indeed your bowels were moved around during surgery and probably a little bruised.
Only drink the pedialyte if your BMs are loose and just drink once a day.
Good luck to you both!
s
Tish
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-27-2007, 07:11 PM
oh yeah the post op articles

I reread the post op articles and found the helpful hints I knew I had seen before, under diet and intestines.
Unread 10-27-2007, 08:13 PM

I had huge problems with pain during BMs after surgery even during week 2!!! I called my obgyn and he had told me it was due to the gas (that they use) that was still inside me and to still take my pain meds. It did help a lot to stay on the pain meds during that time. I was so bad that it felt like labor again.
But anyway, that's what I did and it helped. However, it wasn't an easy week that's for sure.
Good Luck to all. There is light at the end of the tunnel!
Unread 10-28-2007, 05:06 PM

Moohaha,

I had my surgery same day as you. Had my first BM on Friday, then was in the bathroom all afternoon and evening. Had been taking stool softeners 2x daily per doctor's orders. Saturday, I only took one. Today I had the worst constipation and BM hurt so bad! I don't know which is worse............it's frustrating to say the least. Not sure what I should do............may call doc tomorrow.

Christine
Unread 10-28-2007, 05:36 PM
Gas Pain

HI, I had my surgery on the 22nd and Im home now 4days, the gas was real bad for the first three days I feel your pain. I think that is the worst yet. I took stool softner once a day two pills at at time. I finaly had a bm and it hurt soo bad I dident strain but just it moving thu the intestien. Its gotten better, stay away from gasy food and things that will constapate. It will get better hun. Im now feeling this burning feeling inside I dont know what it is but I see the doc on wend. Goood Luck , Hang in there.
Tina
Unread 10-29-2007, 07:18 AM

Thanks, Tina, let us know how you make out after you see your doc.

I called my doc this morning. They told me to try Milk of Magnesia..... might be a little less harsh than the stool softeners............will do that. I hope it works because my BM this a.m. was so painful it sent me into cold sweats. Like you, not really straining, but getting through intestines, hurts a lot! TMI~ sorry!

Hope it gets better for you!

Christine
Unread 10-29-2007, 09:28 AM

I hope this soon gets better...I'm 2 weeks post-op today and still suffering from BM troubles. My problem is loose stools, not constipation like the rest of you! What the heck do they DO in there during the surgery that causes all this trouble?
Unread 10-29-2007, 09:53 AM

Well girls....I am almost 10 weeks and I am going pretty regularly, but right before I go I get horrid, almost labor-like cramps also that last for maybe less than a minute, but they stop me in my tracks...my doctor told me this is normal part of healing????...why I wonder...is it because they removed the uterus and your bowels now lay differently, I would doubt they would still be irritated from surgery in my case.....I am careful to eat right, and have not been constipated, but the build up pain is ridiculous.....I know this probably did not make anyone feel better and I hope all your problems will subside before you reach 10 weeks...but I am wondering if some of us, like me, just have to realize that my body is different so may work differently now?????.....if its not one thing its another.....geez

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register