First BM? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-28-2007, 09:07 AM
First BM?

OK, my LAVH was Thursday, got home Friday. Still haven't had a BM. Doc wasn't concerned when I asked Friday. She said I was cleaned out prior to surgery so it would take a few days. My back aches and I feel it's from not going. How long did it take before you had one at home? I'm drinking tons of water, walking, stool softners, passing gas, etc. Sorry if TMI, just don't know if I'm expecting this too soon or not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2007, 09:14 AM
First BM?

Hi Becky,
Welcome home!

I had a TAH so it may be different for me but I had my surgery on Monday, came home Wednesday, and had my first BM on Thursday. I didn't need laxatives or anything and I've been going regularly since. Maybe I'm the exception but I never had any real gas pains either.

Like I said, my surgery was different. I know they inflate your belly with gas with the Laps.

Good luck and speedy recovery.
Unread 10-28-2007, 09:22 AM
First BM?

I had my surgery on a Wednesday. Home from hospital on Saturday. I didn't have a (good) BM until Tuesday and that was after taking Corectal on Monday, Milk of Magnesia on Tuesday and the daily stool softeners. I took another dose of MOM Tuesday night before bed and went easier on Wed. morning.

Probably TMI!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2007, 09:26 AM
First BM?

I had my surgery on Friday morning and first BM Monday am. Had no problem going in hospital but dr. gave me a prescription iron supplement (Repliva) and I am severely constipated from this. Welcome home.
Unread 10-28-2007, 09:40 AM
First BM?

Welcome home

My surgery was on Thursday came home Sunday and had my 1st bm on that Sunday

You're doing everything right, remember that some medication can cause constipation. Just keep doing what you're doing
Unread 10-28-2007, 09:40 AM
First BM?

I feel your pain!

Surgery was on Tuesday the 23rd, had a very tiny BM on Friday morning before I left the hospital, but I think was because they gave me a suppository. Have some gas and rumblings like I need to go, but by the time I get to the bathroom then the feeling goes away. I sit for awhile hoping it comes back, but I don't sit to long because I'm concerned my legs will go to sleep then there will be another situation and problem to deal with...LOL
Unread 10-28-2007, 10:03 AM
First BM?

Hi. It took me 5 days. Don't worry just yet. Eat a lot food with fiber and continue to drink the water! It will happen!
Unread 10-28-2007, 10:49 AM
First BM?

I had a very small soft bm on day 6 post op, and more normal but soft on day 8 post op. I told my doc on day 5 post op that I hadn't gone yet, and he instructed me to take 30 cc of milk of mag every 6 hours until I go. I went the following day, and kept taking it until after day 8 post op. He said if I am passing gas, my bowels are working and he's not too concerned. If you are NOT passing gas, get into your doctor, sister!
Unread 10-28-2007, 12:14 PM
First BM?

I went 10 whole days before I had my first bm and the doc said that was perfectly normal. It sure didn't feel that way, I thought I was gonna explode. Just make sure you keep taking your stool softners, they help tremendously!!!!
Unread 10-28-2007, 12:16 PM
First BM?

Eat some bran cereal - that's always good. Applesauce works wonders, too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register