hot flashes? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 10-28-2007, 10:18 AM
hot flashes?

Hi,
I had TVH with 1 tube rmoval (kept both ovaries) 10/15. Recovery has been fairly normal, starting to wean off the pain meds and even drove to the store on my own yesterday (yeah!) My question, dumb as it sounds to me, is this: Since surgery I have usually felt fairly cold, but the last few days I've noticed a few instances where all of a sudden I feel rather hot. I might take off my sweater or blanket, then after a few minutes it goes away. When you get hot flashes, do you KNOW it? Or is body temp fluctuation like this normal? Thanks for any replies
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2007, 10:35 AM
hot flashes?

My ovaries went to sleep the first month, and I had a couple of hot flashes when my period would normally have been. I was back to normal the next month.

BTW - I found this quote on another forum I visit, and I loved it! Hope it gives you a smile:

Quote:
I am still hot. It just comes in flashes now.
HUGS!
Unread 10-28-2007, 10:39 AM
hot flashes?

I love it!!

Thanks for the smile this morning!!

I know I've heard others say theirs have gone to sleep as well, guess I thought as I hadn't noticed anything that first week or so I was out of the woods...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2007, 11:54 AM
hot flashes?

Java Jane, I too have the same question. I kept both of my ovaries, but out of nowhere I will just start sweating like a trooper! It gets so bad that the back of my hair gets soaked so bad that it will drip on to the shoulders of my shirt. It is more then embarrassing! And it isn't like all of me is even over heated, my feet and hands have been like ice a couple of times that has happened.

It happened during my last appointment to the doc even and he said that there isn't any reason for it to be happening since both of the ovaries were healthy and I am only 39. So I don't know if he plans on doing anything or if I just have to tough it out. Any advice that any of you ladies have would be great!
Unread 10-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Based on my experience - (sorry this is long)

Although we are all different and react differently - my ovaries never took time off! 2 weeks post op I went through my usual symptoms (cramping, sore breasts, some night sweats, etc.) Once a month since I have had the same thing, but in August the hot flashes were HORRIBLE. There were a couple that were more intense than I had ever had before (included dizziness, nausea, a beet red face, sweating, etc.) - we were on vacation and walking around site seeing, and I just prayed that I would not pass out on the street. I have had hot flashes in the past - so knew that is what it was but they were nothing compared to this!

I had talked to my gyn at 2-3 post op visits about the increased night sweats and hot flashes (and even told him about the major ones) - and he just said "I never touched your ovaries." Since I can't take HRT - he said to try some herbal remedies. I did, but frankly they didn't make a difference.

Well, about 1.5 months ago - I think every pms symptoms I had ever had hit all at once - I was a total mess and realized I'd also become depresed from all of it. After a week or so of being totally 'possessed' (irritable, eating everything in sight, either not sleeping/or sleeping all the time, hot flashes, night sweats, cramping, etc.) and getting tired of apologizing every time I turned around because I had snapped at someone - I called my primary physician. First of all, he was surprised that the gyn didn't "do something," but after looking at the list of symptoms and talking to me - he put me on an anti-depressant also know to help hormonal symptoms. After 1 month, I went back in and evaluated - I have seen improvement, but I am still not totally me yet. He increased the dosage and we'll re-assess in another month.

Now, instead of hot flashes - I'd consider them 'warm surges' and while they last a bit longer - they are easier to deal with than the other things! And, I still have some of the pms symptoms (night sweats, day or two being irritable, etc.) BUT they are also more manageable. I am hoping that by next month - this is no more.

So, I would suggest you talk to your doctor if they keep up or increase, and if your gyn doesn't respond with something concrete - go to your primary. I have learned to dress in layers as I am frequently taking off/putting on a sweater. I can be cold one minute and too warm the next.

On a funny (?) note:
One night DH and I were going somewhere and I said to wait a minute while I grabbed a jacket in case it was cold. (I am typically cold especially in restaurants, stores, etc.) And, his comment was "why do you need that - you have your own furnace with you." "What?" "Well, that is what you said. You have your own furnace." "No honey, it is my own private summer." Men!!
Unread 10-28-2007, 04:19 PM
Menopause...when does it start

Good Afternoon All -

I am 47 years old and had a TAH on Tuesday, Oct 23rd. My question is this...how soon does menopause kick in? I had one friend tell me when she came out of recovery she was all emotional and her Dr said, "It has started."

While in the castle I had terrible hot flashes drenching wet, but once I got off the morphine a lot that stopped. Of course the bed and pillows are plastic and covered with fabric and I figure that makes a person hot.

Since being home, I have had one night of waking up hot, hair drenched.

Ladies that have stopped by the house to visit always ask, "Has 'it' started yet?" Of course I hope it doesn't, but I'm not fooling myself either...just wanted to find out from others how soon and what to expect.

As always...THANKS!

Unread 10-28-2007, 06:18 PM
hot flashes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbirdmcgraw
[font=Verdana]Good Afternoon All -

I am 47 years old and had a TAH on Tuesday, Oct 23rd. My question is this...how soon does menopause kick in? I had one friend tell me when she came out of recovery she was all emotional and her Dr said, "It has started."
. . . . .
Ladies that have stopped by the house to visit always ask, "Has 'it' started yet?" Of course I hope it doesn't, but I'm not fooling myself either...just wanted to find out from others how soon and what to expect.
I was peri-menopausal prior to surgery since I had started to skip periods. However, the way I understand it - once we have surgery and no longer have periods - we are 'there.' Menopause is no longer having periods, so when taking the "natural" route once you have not had a period for 1 year - you have arrived!

However, I think you are asking about the hormonal roller coaster part of 'it.' That varies for everyone. Some women's ovaries react right away, others' "sleep" for a while following surgery. Mine never took a break - 2 weeks after surgery, I ovulated right on schedule, and once a month after than.

You may have mild symptoms that show up once in a while - I hope so for your sake. I will suggest - if they get bad - be sure to let your doctor know and seek relief.

:hamg:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register