one step forward two steps back | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

one step forward two steps back one step forward two steps back

Unread 10-28-2007, 11:09 AM
one step forward two steps back

i had a TAH w/ cysts,endo.took my cervix and uterus but left my ovaries. The last couple of days I have beensooooo depressed. i am getting so tired of this. One day I feel great and the next two I am tired and have some pain. My steri-strips ae gone, but now I am have what seems to be pain on the right side of my incision. It pulls and now I can hardly walk. I was doing so well. I started crying last night because I just want to get better NOW! I'm tired of not being able to clean my house, wash my windows< I could go on and on. And I really want to get back to work. With keeping the ovaries do you think you can still have moments when you should be having your cycle. Right now I should be just comin goff of one. I haven't had my post-op dr. apt. yet. That wwill not come around until next week. My hubby says I am only 4 weeks post-op and he seems to think I am doin gfine, but he can't seem to understand my sudden bursts of crying. He has been great throughout this entire time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2007, 12:39 PM

If you are even thinking about cleaning windows you are doing very well. Your husband is right! You're very early in the recovery stage - this was MAJOR surgery. It is very frustrating, but evry week that you take care of yourself will make a big difference. I found the 6-8 week mark I felt a giant leap, but even after that I still had soreness and fatigue. It really does get better! Don't jeopardize your health by pushing yourself now, and don't be down when you can't do things and have pain. This is all very normal. Listen to your body - it tells you exactly when it's had enough. We've all been through it, but expect a 3 month recovery - it takes at least that long. Give your DH a kiss for being so understanding. Can you imagine how hard it would be if he put pressure on you? Good luck!
Unread 10-28-2007, 12:53 PM

i agree with sheba. and by the way, you are only 3 weeks out, not 4. so take it easy twobtrue. i am feeling the same way, well, not washing windows! i hardly do that when i feel good! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2007, 12:55 PM

My doctor said nothing but rest and walking for six weeks.
Unread 10-28-2007, 01:55 PM

I am now 5 months post-op, which hardly seems possible - but the time does go quickly. Take your time to heal - as much as you may not like looking at the house or the windows - you don't want to do something that would set you back either. You could ask for some help with the house work that really bugs you - but do not do it yourself.

Find your "Recovery Progress Reports" for your week of surgery and see how others are doing. It is a great place to compare notes. Also look at the Checkpoints for weeks 3-4.

Back when I was at weeks 3-4, several of us noticed we felt like we'd been "set back" during that time. Maybe it was that we were decreasing our pain meds, the drugs form surgery were finally out of our system, mentally we were ready to do more than lay around or were just tired of laying around and tired of being sore, etc. Once you go in for your 4 week post-op, the Dr will probably release you to do more, but you will still need to take it easy with some of the house work, lifting, etc. and still need to plan rest breaks in the day - or it can catch up with you in the evening.

Soon you will be months down the road, and thankful you took it easy now.

and
Unread 10-28-2007, 02:33 PM

If you still have your ovaries, the depression and crying is normal too. They can go into "shock" which brings on all these symptoms. It does get better though. I was a bit of a mess at this time and freaked out my DH who was even kinder as a result (bless him).

Wanting to do things is normal too. When you're starting to feel better mentally, you start looking around at all the things you could be doing and that's simply because you've got the time to look! Busy yourself with some crosswords, movies, reading, knitting, paperwork organising... anything you can do sitting or lying down.... anything to stop you looking at all those things you "could" be doing

The pain is telling you that you're doing too much on the days you feel good - it's the mean and nasty time of recovery - you feel like you could do lots, but you pay for it when you do.

Take care of yourself and I hope you're feeling better soon!
Unread 10-28-2007, 03:20 PM

Thanks for all of your responses. Once again I feel better knowing I have all you sisters out there to help and give advise.
Unread 10-28-2007, 07:35 PM

Ohhhhh how I relate to you. I had a vaginal hyst, and bladder repair and something else who knows. But I also kept my overies. But i to cry out of nowhere and get depressed. Dont really want to clean my windowsLOL. But my husband has been great to. I have been told also that all of this is very normal. I have a hard time sitting still, but my body is telling me to do so. Hang in there. Like weve heard before its only been a couple of weeks.............God Bless

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register