Repliva Iron Supplement | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Repliva Iron Supplement Repliva Iron Supplement

Unread 10-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Repliva Iron Supplement

My Dr. put me on Repliva 21/7, a prescription only, iron, folic acid replacement therapy when I came home from the hospital
last Tuesday. It's horrible. Constitipation, burping, and more.
Has anyone else been on this type of therapy? How long did you need to stay on it? I am hoping this will only be for the month. I don't know if I will endure it any longer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2007, 01:24 PM
I feel your pain

I'm not sure how much elemental Iron is in your Rx, but my Hematologist put me on 65mg of elemental Iron 3 times a day for a month. I can tell you that this much Iron is wreaking havoc with my digestive system! The pains come in waves and the constipation is terrible. The pain will stop me in my tracks no matter what I'm doing.

I sure hope mine is only for a month, but I'm not holding my breath. I was so far anemic that I required a 3-unit transfusion before they would consider operating.
Unread 10-28-2007, 01:58 PM
Repliva Iron Supplement

I am slightly anemic and asked the doctor if I should be taking iron. She said no, that it is most likely due to my radiation treatments. Holy Cow! After reading your posts, I'm sure gald she said no. My intestines couldn't take anymore disturbances than they are already having (diarrhea, gas).
Hope your pains go away and the anemea gets better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2007, 02:47 PM
Repliva Iron Supplement

Pam, I was on Repliva last year for 2 months. Yes I remember the constipation. I took a vegatatable laxative everyday, drank lots of water and try most things to keep me regular. After I went off it got better. Hopefully your iron will responed in a month and you can go off them. I know your frustration. Not fun! Hang in there. Kathy
Unread 10-28-2007, 04:43 PM
Repliva Iron Supplement

I too was on the Repliva after my TAH. Doctor said definitely to take the vegatable laxative daily. I was worried about my body getting used to it but the doctor said that it was not a concern due the body trying to heal from a major surgery. You will need it! It did make my stomach hurt so I tried taking it with food and at different times of the day. Lots of water does help too.

Hope you feel better soon!
Unread 10-28-2007, 06:50 PM
Repliva Iron Supplement

Thanks!!!

The directions say one hour after meals and 2 hours before because it can lose some of its effectiveness. I have been eating fruits, veggies and other fiber foods. I take stool softeners 3X a day. My bowels hurt me terribly but I have a iron clad black BM everyday. I guess my bowels and intestines are good. I drink around 80 oz. of water a day. What are the purple pills that you take for 7 days. Are they placebos that need not be taken?
Thanks for all your great support
Unread 10-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Repliva Iron Supplement

I remember the purple pills. I think they give your body a break from the red ones with the iron so you can absorb all the iron that is already taken. I do remember reading about it. Maybe it's like a placebo. I hope you only have to take it for a month. I'm glad your staying regular. That helps a lot. Kathy
Unread 10-29-2007, 03:46 PM
Repliva Iron Supplement

I have been on them since my surgery on August 10th and have to take them until the end of December, hopefully then I will be done. My count was down to 6 and they have helped I am now up to 10.8 but still not in the normal range. I take mine in the morning with a glass of grapefruit juice. Luckily after the first month I haven't had the constipation problem. So I will be on them for at least four months!
Hang in there is will get better
Unread 10-29-2007, 05:21 PM
Repliva Iron Supplement

Quote:
Originally Posted by upandcominghyst
I take mine in the morning with a glass of grapefruit juice. Luckily after the first month I haven't had the constipation problem. So I will be on them for at least four months! Hang in there is will get better

Thanks. I think my problem with extreme fatigue late morning is due to the fact that I take the med at noon. I was so concerned after reading that no eating before and after and certain foods interaction that I got freaky and don't eat for three hours midday. I will take mine in the morning and hopefully that will relieve the fatigue I am experiencing. BTW, I am so wired at 11 pm and I guess the iron pills are fully in my system again,
Unread 10-29-2007, 06:40 PM
Repliva Iron Supplement

Yeah I take mine @ 6:30 in the morning and I am awake for the whole day without feeling ike I need a nap midday. I don't start getting tired until evening. If I took it @ noon I would be wired at night also. If you like grapefruit juice take it with that I read somewhere that it helps raise your levels up also, so i take them together.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register