Hysterectomy dates Oct 29-Nov 05,2007 - Page 5 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Oct 29-Nov 05,2007 Hysterectomy dates Oct 29-Nov 05,2007

Unread 11-06-2007, 08:42 AM
Hysterectomy dates Oct 29-Nov 05,2007

Quote:
slplante Hey all - I had my TVH with anterior/posterior repair and bladder sling on the 29th. Unfortunately, my two hour surgery turned into a four hour surgery - doc said everything was much more out of place than she anticipated and was much more difficult to fix, but it went well and all is back where it should be. I also lost too much blood and had a low crit with some blood pressure problems afterwards. In my case, the waiting wasn't the worst - the pain was as bad and worse than I feared. I am still having to take my pain meds, though last night/this morning was the first time I didn't wake up as soon as the medication wore off, so I'm making progress! My four procedures really made it very difficult, and all last week I felt as though I wasn't going to make it through, and wished I had not done it. Truthfully today, one week later, I feel like there's a light at the end of the tunnel, and I will make it through, but it will definitely be slow.

Thanks to all of the encouragement from all of the ladies who went before me with their TVHs - I truly believe if I had not had the three other procedures, the pain would not be near as intense and I would be bouncing back faster.
slplante - I'm sorry that you are not bouncing back as fast as you thought you would and that you had such a hard time. I also had many of the procedures that you had - TVH (w/ uterus and cervix removed) w/ AR and vag vault repair and blader sling to fix prolapsed cervix, uterus, vag & cystocele. Also had CIN I on cervix so am waiting on lab results for that. And I had problems w/ a really low BP that scared the heck out of the nurses when I almost passed out. So anyway - I can relate.

Many people have said to me - oh I know so & so who had a TVH and she was up & around in no time. Well maybe she was. But maybe that was all that she had done. (Or maybe she just heals really fast??) Maybe these extra procedures are contributing to the extra pain you are having. I thought the same thing the few days after my surgery. While I was in the hospital that pump was my best buddy. But I had heard so many stories about how much easier the TVH was supposed to be that I was not prepared for the level of pain I had at first either. It must've been all the other procedure that were done - that was all I could think of also.

Note that I am not discounting the pain that those with abdominal incisions have - I realize that I have less pain to deal with, and it will not last as long, it is just that I did not expect it to be this intense, even for a short period.

I also woke up at night - like clockwork - every 4 hours when the pain meds wore off for the first few nights. Day 4 post-op I was trying to wean off the Percocet and just take Motrin as I'd read that narcotics can make you constipated (not sure if that is true or not, but just in case) and I don't want that. I'm down to just Advil now mostly unless I've been up too much and then I need a Rx strength Motrin.

I'm glad you are starting to see a "light at the end of the tunnel", I hope things continue to get better and better for you - keep us posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleE
slplante - I'm sorry that you are not bouncing back as fast as you thought you would and that you had such a hard time. I also had many of the procedures that you had - TVH (w/ uterus and cervix removed) w/ AR and vag vault repair and blader sling to fix prolapsed cervix, uterus, vag & cystocele. Also had CIN I on cervix so am waiting on lab results for that. And I had problems w/ a really low BP that scared the heck out of the nurses when I almost passed out. So anyway - I can relate.

Many people have said to me - oh I know so & so who had a TVH and she was up & around in no time. Well maybe she was. But maybe that was all that she had done. (Or maybe she just heals really fast??) Maybe these extra procedures are contributing to the extra pain you are having. I thought the same thing the few days after my surgery. While I was in the hospital that pump was my best buddy. But I had heard so many stories about how much easier the TVH was supposed to be that I was not prepared for the level of pain I had at first either. It must've been all the other procedure that were done - that was all I could think of also.

Note that I am not discounting the pain that those with abdominal incisions have - I realize that I have less pain to deal with, and it will not last as long, it is just that I did not expect it to be this intense, even for a short period.

I also woke up at night - like clockwork - every 4 hours when the pain meds wore off for the first few nights. Day 4 post-op I was trying to wean off the Percocet and just take Motrin as I'd read that narcotics can make you constipated (not sure if that is true or not, but just in case) and I don't want that. I'm down to just Advil now mostly unless I've been up too much and then I need a Rx strength Motrin.

I'm glad you are starting to see a "light at the end of the tunnel", I hope things continue to get better and better for you - keep us posted.
I really think it is the person having the surgery not just the type of surgery it's self.I had a TLH/BSO with bladder sling and addhession removal.TLH is supposed to be one of the easiest in terms of recovery time and pain.But with me I feel as though a MACK TRUCK ran over me and then parked in my pelvic area!I had a nurse(if you can call her that!)tell me that the pain was all in my head and that i could not possibly be having that much pain!and then she told me i could no longer have my IV dilaudid and gave me 800mg Ibprofin and a darvecet and told me that it was more than enough!an hour later when i was crying uncontrolably she offered me an ambien to help me sleep,and gave me toradol.I told her toradol had a adverse reaction when i took it last time.it made the pain 10 times worse the last time i had it.She told me that was impossible and that it was all in my head.she gave it to me anyway without my consent and then i past out from the pain.I don't remember a whole lot more untill about 18 hrs later when I was talking to my doc.She told me that the "nurse was on admin.leave untill an investigation could be done since toradol was on my allergie braclet.and I wound up spending a whole day extra in the hospital to get my pain under control with iv and oral dilaudid.I still am taking 2 dilaudid every 3 hrs.today i am trying one every 3 hrs.so far so good!I just can't help but wander if I had a TAH if the nurse would have thought differntly about me being in pain.she told me that since my surgery was done laproscopicly that there was no way i had all that pain 12hrs later and that i should have all ready been discharged!oh well everybody says "what donsent kill us makes us stronger"I guess I am just about as strong as wonder woman!!!Ok I am getting tired and just starting to rambble.thanks for letting me vent!and don't let anybody tell you that just because you had a certian type of surgery that you don't or should not have pain!everybody is different.
Unread 11-06-2007, 11:35 AM

Hi Sisters,
I had a TAH on 11/01 and it went well. Thank God. I did have to stay and extra day at the hospital due to my bladder not responding accordingly(sp?) THen I had a slight fever. I came home Sunday midday and it feels great to be home!
When I found out I was having surgery I did not want help. Im glad my sister came and is staying with me to help out. I'm not in much pain but getting out of bed could be difficult at times. Other than that I'm glad it's over with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007, 12:16 PM

I noticed getting out of bed this morning that it was at least bearable this time. One day can make a lot of difference!
Unread 11-06-2007, 02:05 PM

I had my LVH on 10/30 the gas was unreal can relate with that forsure I had the peeing trouble too they had to drain my bladder 3times and finnally re entered the cathiderleft it i till morning had a reaction to morphine they gave me wasnt fun ...went home 11/01 ended up catching a brutal cold have a bunch of cramping on my left side not sure if this normal ...just feel real crappy...glad to hear u all r feeling good
Unread 11-06-2007, 03:41 PM

One day does make a lot of difference. I still felt I needed my percocet yesterday, but had resolved to switch to Motrin today. Which I did. But only took the motrin in the morining. The prune juice has successfully done its job and now my only real complaint is my swollen belly!
Unread 11-06-2007, 03:55 PM

Good day everyone! I woke up this morning laying on my stomach and rolled over and got out of bed forgetting that I'd had surgery.

I had to go to work for a little while today and ended up getting really tired and emotional. It was great to get back home and climb into bed for a little while. It's hard to believe how quick I got so tired. My ovaries weren't removed, so I'm not sure what the emotions were about. Just all part of the recovery process I think.

I cancelled a dinner date in the city tonight. I just want to curl up in my bed.

Be back later tonight.... hang in there everyone!! It does get better!!!
Unread 11-06-2007, 04:35 PM

I'm constipated, AGAIN! So much pain from that alone, my back ache is back. I hate this !!

Went to my 1st week post op check up today and got my staples removed. That was good. Funny you mention being emotionsl amoureux, I felt like crying. Wasn't sure why, maybe because I was out in public and mostly uncomfortable, looked like hell for sure, wanted so badly to be home, warm and comfy, working on my bowel issue. Just did not want to be out and about.

Turns out I only had 4 rather small fibroids but endometriosis in the lining of my uterus as well as within the walls of my uterus. The way the doctor explained it to me, when my period came not only was I bleeding from the shedded lining but bleeding in the walls of my uterus too, in the muscle tissue. That's what was causing all the pain ?? Not sure I understand all that correctly but the important thing is ....

NO MORE PERIODS !!!!!

Unread 11-06-2007, 04:40 PM

Laying on your stomach amoureux? What a lovely thought, I love to do that but haven't been able to since my surgery. Flat on my back is all I can take. I try to roll over a little bit but then it feels like things inside me are hanging in ways they shouldn't be.

When will I be able to sleep again the way I like to sleep?

Oh shoot .... and it just occurred to me why I'm constipated. I had a piece of pizza last night. STUPID ME !!

ha ha, that's supposed to be a whack but not sure I get it.
Unread 11-06-2007, 05:00 PM

I had my staples removed today. The first 2 were painful but I didn't feel the other ones. The dr said that my scar looked really good and that I appeared to be healing fine.

I still feel very tired and in pain at times but all in all, I think I am going to make it. I don't really feel like talking to a lot of people or visiting but it's getting better. The kitchen has food (for when I want to eat), I have a body pillow (so I can sleep) and I am able to shower again (even though no tub baths).

Praying for you ladies!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register