Hysterectomy dates Oct 29-Nov 05,2007 - Page 52 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy) > Hysterectomy Recovery Reports

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy dates Oct 29-Nov 05,2007 Hysterectomy dates Oct 29-Nov 05,2007

Unread 12-08-2007, 10:28 AM
Hysterectomy dates Oct 29-Nov 05,2007

I caught the cold that has been going around my extended family since I had surgery. I guess I should be glad that I managed to wait this long.....but the sneezing and coughing hurt my tummy !!!! How stupid to be set back by a cold !!!!

I did finally get to see the local wound care nurse yesterday, and got all set up for twice weekly visits with them. She also gave me the ok for a shower !!!!! YEah. I havent had a shower in a month. Been washing hair in the kitchen sink and taking spong baths.

I can't wait for my nice hot shower....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2007, 10:31 AM

Scootery, what happened to your incision? Why do you see the wound care nurse?
You will feel so much better after taking a nice warm shower.
Unread 12-08-2007, 10:59 AM

One week after surgery, a bunch of gunk was seeping out between my staples. (TAH/BSO) so being the brain surgeon that I am, I put my hands on my belly and squeezed. Green, yellow and red began spurting. It was not pretty. I went into ER, and they opened the bottom of my incision site to drain, and put my on 2 weeks of antibiotics.

Went to surgeon the next morning, and they opened it up more, to clean out infection. I have been on home health care for 3 weeks, having a nurse come in daily to flush and pack wound. Now that it has gotten smaller, and the infection has resolved, I can pack it myself, and put the dressing on over the open wound, which is getting smaller. (now about 2'' long, and about 2" deep (from about twice that size).

The doc said I can drive, so I can go to wound center instead of being house bound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-08-2007, 01:22 PM

Wow!
I had the samething happen to me, except I made an appointment to see the sugeon who is my gyno. and he did pretty much the samething cut right below the incision but I went to see him 2 times a week and after the second visit he cauterized it and I've had him do that 3 times and it's all better now. I just saw him on Friday and he didn't do the silver nitrate anymore.

I'm glad that you can drive now, it makes it so much nicer and we feel like we are healing doesnt it?
Unread 12-08-2007, 02:56 PM

JoEllen49Did your doc see something to ask about your sexual activity or was that just a general question? "Being not healed" ... sorry to hear that. Did your doc base this assessment on an internal exam or described symptoms?
thanks.
Unread 12-08-2007, 04:32 PM

Hello Ladies!

I went for my 6 week checkup this week. Unlike what I am reading in other posts, I did not have an internal examination. I did spend about 45 minutes with my doctor, going over a list of questions I had prepared. He did examine my incision, and taught me a stretching exercise to do for the one spot on my scar where I have a slight pulling sensation from time to time.

Overall, I feel great. I paid very close attention to my body during the 6 weeks. The only thing I did that I was not supposed to do was lift the turkey in and out of the oven on Thanksgiving. I didn't even think about not being able to do it until I had sat the bird up on the counter, and my tummmy said

HELLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

~lol~

That was at week 3, and I cooked the entire Thanksgiving dinner with no problems. While I would not go so far as to say the recovery has been a walk in the park, I have had it very easy compared to some of you.

I went to Walmart alone for the first time this week. I had an eye exam, then did my normal biweekly $300 shopping trip. By the time I was pushing the loaded-to-the-max cart through the produce department, I could feel myself starting to wear down. So when I got home, I made the oldest carry in everything, and help me put away the cold stuff. The non-cold waited until today.

So I still wear out after a big day, but I'm sure that will pass in time. I have put off being on my treadmill though. I tried it back around week 3, and found that it just wrung me out.

I am fortunate in that I work for myself, via the internet. So I have been able to continue to work in bits and pieces as I felt like it.

I am so much stronger than I was just a week ago.

Good news is that by the time the boys and I leave for the Bahamas on the 27th that I will feel even better.

And the better news?

I can sneeze without being afraid of how much it is going to hurt!

Oh, I about forgot...

I started off on a patch hormone, and after a handful of days woke up with night sweats. So I got switched over to estradiol 2 mg. I had had hormone tests ran back in the spring, and even before the hysterectomy I was on the very low end of the scale estrogen wise.
Unread 12-08-2007, 08:47 PM

Scootery, I caught that cold one week after surgery. At that point I was just thankful I didn't catch it the first week but it was very rough. Set me way back, I stayed on pain meds for a solid month. Used every last percocet I had LOL

Lovestowalk, no the sex question was purely routine, he was just checking. He asked me that before the exam. And then did the exam and said I wasn't healed yet. He didn't say exactly what he saw but I'm assuming he could still see signs of irritation or redness. Guess I should have asked !! Duh. I think I tend to be fairly speechless in those stirrups LOL

Monday I have to take my dog to the vet. This is going to be a real test of where I'm at in recovery. She's 80 lbs of total excitement at the vet, not sure how I'm going to handle this. I might just be brave and do what needs to be done, or maybe I'll ask a vet tech for help. Not sure yet!
Unread 12-08-2007, 09:32 PM

Asking for help is OK. I've asked for help in several situations and nobody has turned me down. A Dollar Store near my house has heavy doors, so I asked for someone to open the door.
Unread 12-09-2007, 04:02 AM

It bugs the heck outta me to ask for help.... but here I am, I'm not messing with the healing process! I've had a few oops moments for things I shouldn't have done, but nothing some meds and rest can't undo. (i don't think...)

But alas, it seems I spoke out of turn yesterday. While feeling fairly well physically, my mental state just went round the bend again last night. I was crying before going to work last night, telling DF that I don't know who this woman living in my skin is! I have the 6wk check on Tue (11th), so maybe we can hammer out this hormone crud.

Although I just started on flaxseed powder supplement the other day - maybe that is interfering with my Premarin...

I want to be myself again, so bad....
Unread 12-09-2007, 11:14 AM

I'm 6 weeks PO on Wed of this week... however, when I went to my 2 week PO, my surgeon said I was doing so well that he didn't need to see me for 3 months. My surgery was totally lap. and I was cleared to have sex at 2 weeks. He said that he'd do a PAP (I kept my cervix) at the 3 month check.

The only issue I have is that I had my PO with my plastic surgeon (I had breast augmentation a month before the hysterectomy. Had I known I had to have the hyst., I'd have never done the BA.) Anyway, he looked at my scars and one of them is still dimpled in and he said that he'll have to work on it or it will be dimpled in forever. I think I'm gonna call my gyn surgeon and see what he says, because he might be able to fix it instead of paying the PS to do it. It does look very strange.

The night sweats that I've had for years are slightly better. My surgeon said that they may have been caused by the depo shot that I'd been having for several years.

I'm a little depressed, kept my ovaries but thinking that they aren't at 100% yet... I was warned that they may be in shock for a while from the surgery. Starting on an antidepressent today. I'm bad enough I think I'm breaking up with my boyfriend of over a year... trying to decide if he's causing part of the depression, or if I want to get rid of him because I'm depressed. I'm so tired of feeling like I'm going through all of this all alone with no support.

Ok, so it's time to go pick up the anti-depressent from the pharmacy and get started on it before I sit here and cry all day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register