Help! I need a good nights' sleep! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help!  I need a good nights' sleep! Help! I need a good nights' sleep!

Unread 10-29-2007, 03:17 AM
Help! I need a good nights' sleep!

I'm just over three weeks post op and I can't sleep through the night. I wake up, every 1-2 hours, mostly with night sweats, but sometimes I just wake up.

When I first came home I was sleeping about 6 hours at a time now I can barely manage two hours in a row. Yesterday I managed to stay awake all day because I thought maybe I was getting too much sleep in the day time, but it didn't make any difference to my sleeping last night. It just made me very tired and weepy yesterday evening.

Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2007, 08:30 AM

I had problems sleeping after my tah/bso. I talked with my dr about it and he said that it was likely that my hrt wasn't "tweaked" just right yet. We did some adjustments and it did get better. He also gave me a prescription for Ambien ( 2 weeks worth ) and that helped a great deal.
Have you discussed this with your dr? That would be a good place to start, IMO.

Best wishes, I hope that you managed to get some rest

S
Unread 10-30-2007, 12:14 AM

I too take Ambien, really is helping on setting my internal sleep clock.. talk to your dr. see whats best for you, I had sleep issues for years before I finally broke down and tried a sleep aid...GOOD LUCK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2007, 03:18 AM

Yes, sleep problems are a side effect of the menapuse, i really feel for you, ive had the same problem since my TAH/BSO and its really frustrating. I told my doctoe, but he didnt recomend prescribed sleep aids so i asked what i could take so i went and bought some kalms. ive been taking them 4 days now and they dont make any difference, im also on livial for the hot flushes and sweats so apart from the not sleeping im doing ok, i will try something else if i still cant sleep by next week. Good luck to you i hope we can all sleep soon.
Unread 10-30-2007, 12:12 PM

Wow, my reg dr did the same thing she wouldnt give me any sleep aid for years of my peri Menie, she would give me anti depressants,that made me sleep all day and stay up all night ..UGH, finally told her NO WAY IM NOT depressed! I just need to sleep at night... but she still didnt, she says take your ativan, oh brother, oh well, after my TAH/BSO I slept well due to the meds I was taking, I started to feel really rested, then after the meds were gone and the pain managable
Unread 10-30-2007, 12:25 PM

I'm about 7-8 weeks post op. I had a problem sleeping and night sweats as well. I really thought it was odd about the night sweats....I still have both my ovaries.

The sleeping problem will get better...it took me about 6 weeks to start sleeping better again. Be patient - I know that's hard especially when you're lying in bed awake and everyone else is resting!!!
Unread 10-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy
The sleeping problem will get better...it took me about 6 weeks to start sleeping better again. Be patient - I know that's hard especially when you're lying in bed awake and everyone else is resting!!!
Thanks to everyone who has replied. I'm glad I'm not alone!
I guess I'm going to try and live with it for the moment and hope it improves in time. I'm thinking that maybe at the weekend I can send DH out for an OTC medication. I'm willing to try anything.
The only good thing is that at least I'm not at work, so I don't have to concentrate too hard on staying awake during the day - tho that's not too much consolation in the middle of the night!

to everyone.
Unread 10-30-2007, 01:08 PM

carcrazy, are you taking pain meds at night? I noticed if I take my percocet before I go to bed--- I have night sweats and I also have my ovaries..
Unread 10-30-2007, 01:09 PM

Buttons, have you tried Melatonin? You can find it in the vitamins section of your drug or grocery store. I've had sleep issues for years and find that it does help. Plus, do some research on it. It is a substance your body produces naturally to regulate sleep, and women as they get older (or go through menopause) seem to make less of it naturally. All the research I did showed that when you take the recommended amount, they have not found any side effects or negative effects of taking it, even long-term since it's something your body makes anyway. Plus you don't wake up in the morning feeling groggy.

Do your own research......and ask your doctor.

Good Luck to you!
Unread 10-30-2007, 02:02 PM

Buttons, I really feel for you. Sleep problems are terrible. I've been on ambien and that has helped. When I don't sleep everything else is worse. Then my body does something weird and I sleep less and I get all anxious and it makes it worse. It's a visious cycle. I sure hope you can get some sleep soon. The melatonin worked really well for me before surgery but since surgery it hasn't. I do plan to take melatonin again if I have trouble sleeping once I get through this rough time. Maybe you should give melatonin a try if the dr. won't give you something else. You don't get that drunken feeling in the morning from it. Your in my thoughts and prayers. Kathy

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register