Cold Turkey - No Hormones | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cold Turkey - No Hormones Cold Turkey - No Hormones

Unread 10-29-2007, 10:10 AM
Cold Turkey - No Hormones

Hi everyone. I am recovering from a LAVH with BSO on 10/23. I am almost 41 years old and decided the morning of the surgery that I would like to go cold turkey and try not to take any hormones. My viewpoint is that I am sure my hormones were winding down anyways due to my age and want to see if I can manage without drugs. I really don't like to take medications and pretty much only take vitamins on a daily basis. There is obesity in my family, I have been in a weight support group for almost 10 years, just to stay focused and try not to have the weight creep up on me (which is does every once in a while.) I don't want to chance a weight gain because of drugs that I might beable to cope without. So, my doctor said that he would allow me to try it and if I need him, give him a call.

I am having pretty bad night sweats, but other than that, feel fine. Haven't had the feeling that I would like to kill anyone and my pleasant self has so far seemed to be maintained. My DH has not threatened divorce, the kids are not wanting to run away - so I think I am treating everyone the same.

I am just curious if anyone else has tried to not take hormones when their ovaries were taken out and what the outcome was. Also, any information anyone has to share about hormones I would love to hear from too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2007, 10:36 AM

Hi petunia8599,

I had the same surgery on the 18th. They put a patch on me right away but after a couple of days my head went nuts (I have had migraines for a long time). I asked the doctor to cut back the dose (and he did) but I could tell he wanted me to keep the patch on. I had enough of my head so I pulled the patch off Friday and my head has been getting better ever since. So far I've had a few warm flushes but that's it.

I feel like I need to get back to a zero point to see where I stand with the hormones. While I had the patch on I just felt like I was piling hormones on the hormones that were left in my system. I am open to the patch again once I feel I have a need for it. My family doc said as far as bone loss goes I just need to take calcium. I am going to go on like this and see what happens.

Please let me know how things go with you!
Unread 10-29-2007, 10:45 AM

thanks for your response. I am also a migraine sufferer - they take me out and it is almost like I have a stroke (hand is numb, eye sight all goofed up, slurred speach, ect.) So, that was another reason why I wanted to try without it. I was really worried about migraines after the removal of the ovaries, but I haven't had one yet!! (Where is the wood to knock onto?)

I do take calcium supplements - so maybe I will be ok with the bones too.

Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-29-2007, 10:51 AM

I can only dream of a week without a migraine but I am hopeful! If they just cut back on the frequency it would be so wonderful.
Unread 10-29-2007, 11:04 AM

I'm 44 and I can't have hrt because I had endometrial cancer.

Initially I was having lots of hot flashes and feeling very very weepy. Three weeks on, I've stopped crying and I have minimal hot flashes, perhaps one a day. The only thing which is troubling me is the night sweats. They seem to be getting worse, rather than better. I'm trying to hang on until I get to my six week check and hope it has got better by then.

I have been taking a vitamin and mineral supplement designed for the menopause for about two weeks, but I don't know if that's made any difference.
Unread 10-29-2007, 11:10 AM

A little clarity here please.....

What is the difference in hot flashes and night sweats.... Is it just that one's daytime and the other's night???

I, too, am going "cold turkey" -ovaries removed 10/16- no HRT due to endometriosis.

Hopefully all will level out on its own soon.

Thanks for helping me sort this out.

Dinkum
Unread 10-29-2007, 11:31 AM

Dinkum,

A hot flash is a sudden, severe heat that moves through your body making you sweat like a pig for a certain amount of time and then subsides. A night sweat is sweating all night long and waking up drenched. (I suffered from both for a time about 5 or so years before my hysterectomy)

I've been without hormones also because of cancer, but I'm fluffy and that has definitely worked in my favor for this. My fat cells are apparently still producing enough estrogen to hold menopause symptoms at bay.
Unread 10-29-2007, 11:50 AM

i've posted another thread about my memory going awol, but as i'm not on hrt i thought i'd post on here too!
i get hot flashes, which seem to be getting less and they don't trouble me too much. as i said in my other thread, my memory is awful at the moment and i am worrying far more than i did before my op. i have had trouble sleeping since my op too. i am hoping that all this will even out over time and i can avoid hrt, but am still open to going on it if absolutely necessary.
i notice a couple of you said you are on mineral suppliments. apart from the calcium mentioned what else is available that may help?
Unread 10-29-2007, 03:38 PM

My night sweats or hot flashes, don't last all night, but when I wake up I am dwenched and by morning, I need a shower!! The optimistic part of me says - I must be sweating off some calories, right? Maybe I am really working out in my sleep....

The vitamins I take, which I have taken for years and are not prescribed or recommended due to the hysterectomy are: multi vitamin for women, calcium with vitamin D, Vitamin B complex and vitamin C. I really don't think that they are going to help with the hot flash problem.
Unread 10-29-2007, 08:35 PM

Almost three months since surgery and except for Estrace vaginal cream since about the 7th week nothing else. Even with the Estrace I use just a tiny amount maybe 2 to 3 times a week. I make a point of having intercourse at least a couple of times a week to keep the vagina from shortening or drying out. My "night sweats" are not as bad as mentioned elsewhere--I might have two or so mild ones per night but putting the fan on if it's off or higher if it's on helps right away. Hot flashes: never counted but maybe have ten minimal ones throughout the entire day and night.

Taking Vitamin E which is very good for flashes, plus B complex for stress and mood, biotin to avoid hair loss, multivitamins, and definitely calcium with vitamin D. Plan to add more vitamins soon. Ground flaxseed every day almost since right after surgery and I think that's helped keep flashes at bay. Avoid stress, have a supportive partner, and make sure you get enough rest every day. And definitely sleep well, especially the first few months after surgery, even if you have to take an OTC sleep aid.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register