Cold Turkey - No Hormones - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Cold Turkey - No Hormones Cold Turkey - No Hormones

Unread 10-30-2007, 05:03 AM
Cold Turkey - No Hormones

I sleep with a very light quilt, summer and winter..the window wide open..a fan at the ready(remote control) and a large glass of water by the bed. When I wake in a sweat i use whatever I feel is appropriate.
Daytimes the car/house window is open, I'm never far from a cold bottle of water, and central heating has only been on once since in past 16 months.(think of the money I'm saving). Sometimes I think the symptoms are getting better, sometimes not. I'm aware that an increase in calories makes me feel worse(common sense I suppose) as does alcohol, so am more cautious with both of these since surgery. I wear layers so they can be adjusted and this helps. I am forgetful now, and a bit dippy, which I really wasn't before, and that maddens me more than anything else at the minute. My joints aren't good-a bit arthriticky-but I feel better if I have done some exercise. I need to losse weight, but easier said than done. When I have been 2 years cancer free, hrt ma be an option. I am not sure whether this is a road I will go down, but who knows? Over all the inconvenience of no hormones is a small price to pay for being cancer free.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2007, 07:31 AM

Hi!

I'm 51 years old and had a TVH/BSO on October 9. My Dr and I have discussed it and we've decided to wait and see if I need HRT or not. We figured that I was in Peri-menopause anyway and was having a few hot flashes during the day and waking up too warm at night. I never did have the sweats at night.

I don't experience anything any differently now than I did then. I've had 3 or 4 hot flashes since the 9th and wake up too warm.
Unread 10-30-2007, 09:06 AM

I had my surgery 8 weeks ago tomorrow! Yea! No HRT, no moods, no flashes, slight insomnia and nightsweats that are manageable. (I have a less-is-more theory about managing nightsweats) I have been a sufferer of massive migraines for many, many years. They got to the point of affecting me 25 out of 30 days each month. Started as menstrual migraines and progressed to just snowballing and rebounding all month long. Figured they were directly related to hormones. Being nearly 48, I figured the ovaries were about done anyway, so out they came.

The frequency of headaches, which I would call migraine only because the triptans are aborting them, has greatly diminished! Maybe one every 8-10 days that are responsive to meds.

I will take that any day over what I experienced prior to surgery!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2007, 09:08 AM

my doctor knows that I hate taking anything -- so we are trying this drug free.

My husband is a warm body -- so we usually have awindow open during the winter -- we are still running the AC in the bedroom. --

not really having any kind of night sweats -- more like a light prespire -- just enough to wake me up to kick off the covers --

during the day -- nothing that is a big issue -- when warm usually take of the sweetshirt that I put on when having the cold flash. which I have more of than being over heated

no moodiness -- that I have noticed --

no dryness down yonder --

So will see what happens down the road -- but so far we are almost 7 weeks without any assistance.

Unread 10-30-2007, 08:07 PM

I went cold turkey, too. I figured that doing HRT would just postpone the inevitable, so let's get it over with while I have the energy for it. I sweat a lot, no doubt. I use fans a lot. Other than that, no major problems.
Unread 10-31-2007, 09:27 AM

I had TAH BSO on November 7th 2006. I also went cold turkey and have only had one hot flash in a year. No other menopausal symptoms to report.

Good luck to you!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register