how should i be feeling one week post-op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how should i be feeling one week post-op how should i be feeling one week post-op

Unread 10-30-2007, 09:27 AM
how should i be feeling one week post-op

its a week today since i had my surgery, when i'm lying down i dont really have any pain. but sitting up hurts if i sit for more than 30 minutes also i still have the pulling pain when i am walking, is this normal i walk i have fifteen steps and i try to go downstairs lt least twice aday and i walk around upstairs. also sometimes when i am lying down i will get darting jabbing pain in my abdomen is that common? thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2007, 10:26 AM

aaron

A week post-op, following major surgery, is extremely early days. Most ladies feel as you do (especially those with an abdominal incision) and I was actually still in hospital at a week post-op.

The intial, vital healing takes approximately 6 weeks, with full recovery then anything from 3 months to a year. I found the best way to assess my progress was on a weekly basis and not a daily one.

It may help you to read our HS article <link> Post-Op Checkpoint Weeks 1-2 which is packed with information!

It is essential to rest as much as possible for the first 6 weeks as you only get this one chance to heal properly. If you're at all concerned about anything, please don't hesitate to contact your doctor.

Wishing you all the very best and a smooth recovery!

Unread 10-30-2007, 10:32 AM

aaron1....what you are feeling is completely normal and may even stick around for a few weeks...I am 10 weeks post and still cannot stand or walk far distances without feeling soreness, pulling and a little pressure....you will go back in forth...you may have a few good days where you may overdo it and than a few bad days from being sore...it takes time, and I believe a lot more time than the actual 6 weeks where the doc gives you the all clear....just take it slow and listen to your body...you will get there...one day at a time!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-30-2007, 01:04 PM

I found that the more I walked the better I felt, just don't over do it!
Unread 10-30-2007, 10:17 PM
How to Handle the Stair Thing

I noticed in your post that you said you tried to go downstairs. You may want to try going up the stairs "backwards". One of my friends gave me the suggestion and it works! I've found that this doesn't pull so much on the muscles in the abdomen.

Hope this helps. At the point you are at..it's all about being careful! Baby yourself.
Unread 10-30-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonikat
I noticed in your post that you said you tried to go downstairs. You may want to try going up the stairs "backwards". One of my friends gave me the suggestion and it works! I've found that this doesn't pull so much on the muscles in the abdomen.

Hope this helps. At the point you are at..it's all about being careful! Baby yourself.

Good point..I will have to remember if there ever is a next time
Unread 10-31-2007, 03:59 AM

I'm still feeling that pulling pain, 2.5 weeks post-op. I went for a long walk on Sunday. . .big oops. I was in so much pain on Monday I was taking the meds I hadn't taken for a week. I chalk it up to my body telling me that I may look ok on the outside (LAVH) I'm not ok on the inside yet.

Listen to your body and like everyone says pamper yourself.

Good luck on your recovery!
Unread 10-31-2007, 04:47 PM

I've read that if you take your pain pills, then your body can work on healing instead of fighting the pain. Makes sense to Me!
Unread 10-31-2007, 08:07 PM

I know this soudns really stupid but I had a TVH on 10/23 and I swear that I feel like I"m having contractions. Kind of impossible since theres no uterus but my stomach gets hard and achey and then it goes away again.

I am more tender and more sore and more achey one week out than i was 3 or 4 days out...
Unread 10-31-2007, 08:13 PM

Yes..it happens and it will go back and forth, barelysane....I was worst off in my 3rd and 4th weeks than in my 1st and 2nd...probably because we start to do too much...maybe your stomach is not agreeing with any medication you may be on????

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register