Can't get to Sleep - Help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can't get to Sleep - Help Can't get to Sleep - Help

Unread 10-31-2007, 08:02 PM
Can't get to Sleep - Help

I'm now just nearly 3 weeks post op and recovering extremely well. Just the last week or so I have been struggling to get to sleep - thought it was because i was dozing off during the day so I stopped that but I am still battling. Part of the problem is that I seem to be experiencing hot flushes - my DH says this isn't possible as i kept my ovaries - could it be? Used to be able to sleep at the drop of a hat and for a good solid 8 hours. Haven't taken any post op meds and don't want to resort to sleeping pills but getting desperate!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2007, 09:09 PM

For a lil bit after surgery it is normal even with ovaries. your ovaries kinda go in to a shock state and take a bit for them to function fully. for sleeping i tried valerain . then make lots of herbal things to help sleep to.
good luck
hugs
lisa
Unread 10-31-2007, 09:10 PM

"Estroven PM" helped me fall asleep and stay asleep 8 hrs+ (like a rock!).
I wasn't sleepless every night but I was used to NEVER having sleep issues. It is probably from a new hormonal balance, the stress of the surgery, new routine, etc. But it was still bothersome.

I started taking this herbal supplement a few days ago and relaxes me right away and drift off without waking up until the alarm goes off. It eases the hotflushes over time also. I kept my ovaries too but still had somne symptoms in weeks 2-5.

You can find it anywhere including Target/WalMart, etc. It may or may not work for you but worth a try. I also don't like sleeping pills or pain medication so I was looking for something natural. Also, I started taking supplements for overall health: calcium, magnesium, E, C, flaxseed oil, multi. These help restore your hormones and in turn your sleep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-31-2007, 09:15 PM

Timtam, at 2 weeks is when my sleeping problems really started. I'm 7 weeks now. My system seems to be settling and cutting my sleep meds down. I heard sleepytime tea helps some. Melatonin and valerian are natural sleep aids. I took melatonin a lot before surgery and it worked for me. It's the stuff that makes you feel naturally sleepy. Not the drunken feeling the next day. I've heard oatmeal and bananans and of course warm milk. The warm milk doesn't sound too appealing to me. If you get desperate ambien works well for me. I only take a 1/2 of a 10mg tablet and now I'm down to 1/3. I'm hoping in a week or so I'll be off it completely. I hope you get some sleep. I think sleep problems are the worse. I can't function propertly without it. I hope you get some relief soon. Kathy
Unread 10-31-2007, 09:19 PM

I remember having difficulties sleeping at night right after my surgery. If I was on the couch I did ok. For me I think it was just trying to get comfortable.

I too kept my ovaries and had major hot flashes following surgery. When I went in for my check up and having staples removed my doctor asked me if I was having hot flashes. When I told him yes, he told me it was normal and would last a few weeks until the ovaries woke up.
Unread 11-01-2007, 06:35 AM
me too!

I'm nearly four weeks post op and I've been having major sleeping problems for the past week. One night I slept for 3 1/2 hours without waking up ( a major achievement!) but usually I'm waking up every one to two hours. Last night I took a herbal remedy, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

I think I would be recovering better if I could just get a good nights sleep.

I just wanted to comiserate with you timtam, you aren't the only one!

Unread 11-01-2007, 10:09 AM

Thanks everyone, feel very tired today after a terrible night last night. Glad to hear the hot flushes are the norm and I have been sipping herbal teas all day - and yawning my head off so hopefully thats a good sign! Will keep you posted!
Unread 11-01-2007, 10:53 AM

Good luck timtam, I hope you sleep tonight. I cut my ambien down last night and have been up since 3am. I think I need to get some herbal teas. They can't hurt and might just help.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register