Weight Loss post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight Loss post op Weight Loss post op

Unread 11-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Weight Loss post op

Tomorrow will be 2 weeks post op for me. I actually feel good today. No lying in bed, helped housekeeper straighten things out and sat in family room for a while.

I had massive fibroids (one reason for surg) and huge cyst.
Fibroids were the size of a grapefruit and honeydew.
Cyst was bigger than a honeydew.

Dr. told me pre surg will have flat belly and lose around 10-15 pounds. Right now I'm 18 pounds lighter than pre surg.
I figured the uterus and ovaries weight around 5 pounds that mean the riods and cyst weighed at least 14 probably more like 18 pounds.

I'm amazed that for 20 years I was called overweight because this mess. I see a flat belly in my future. This
is one great thing to come out of a terrible situation.

Sisters, what about your weight loss post surg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Weight Loss post op

Wow! There's hope for me...I too had about 15-20 pounds of weight that wasn't due to lack of exercise or eating and only came on the past couple of years. My uterus was one BIG fibroid mushy mess. It's amazing at how much better I feel already--even though I'm still in some recovery pain, I reallly think that mess was causing me to get sick in ways I didn't even know.

Looking forward to a flat belly too!!
Unread 11-01-2007, 01:50 PM
Weight Loss post op

I lost 15 lbs in the month after surgery and have gained it back. I haven't changed my eating, but I"m going through hormone replacement difficulty. My Dr. also will be checking my thyroid, which she said it is not uncommon to develop thyroid problems after a BSO (my mother started thyroid meds 6 months after her hyst and has been on them for 49 yrs...she's 90). I just hope I can get evened out hormonally. Just when I think I've found what works for me I get a bad reaction. I'm trying BHRT now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2007, 02:00 PM
Weight Loss post op

I read somewhere that the estrogen hormones bind to the thytoid -- which then makes it so you need thyroid --

I can only hope since i had everything removed-- and not doing hormones -- that my thyroid will actually do what they are supposed to.

have been told forever that i have thyroid issues -- but taking the meds never change anything except how the number reads on the drs reports.
Unread 11-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Weight Loss post op

Happy to say, I've lost 10 pounds already. Walking daily and healing up so much better than I thought. My Dr. said my uterus was oversized as well. Good thing we got it out when we did. I'll know more next week at my follow-up visit where I'll see the pathology report.

I would imagine all of that extra fluid build up combined with the fibroids and size of the uterus did make a difference in my case!!
Unread 11-06-2007, 02:32 PM
Weight Loss post op

Had TAH/BSO and went into hospital weighing about 120 lbs. I'm 5'3 and fairly petite. Anyway, today I'm 3 weeks out and weigh about 110 with almost no appetite at all. However, I do have other health issues that contribute to my weight loss- especially when I'm under any kind of stress.... and I think this surgery experience surely qualifies as stress!

Dinkum
Unread 11-06-2007, 05:24 PM
Weight Loss post op

I hate all of you! I've been sitting here unable to do much exercise (to be honest, I didn't do much to begin with....) and eating all the yummy fattening things people have given to me, I haven't lost a single pound

I was really hoping that fibroid weighed at least 55 pounds.
Unread 11-06-2007, 05:32 PM
Weight Loss post op

LOL EllieGA, I was thinking the same thing. I am not really eating much and I walk like crazy and I have not lost an ounce from my presurgery weight. As a matter of fact 1 week post surgery I was up 8 pounds, I lost that but nothing more. I will see the doctor tomorrow and ask him about how much everything he took out weighed, my pathology report showed something weighing about 4 ounces so I really doubt I will see a big difference in weight because of the surgery.
Unread 11-06-2007, 06:27 PM
Weight Loss post op

I gained 6 lbs immediately post op, swelling and gas I would guess. Today is day 6 and I've lost 3 of that. I was happy to see I was in a size 0 again this morning, although with the extra 3 lbs they were a little snug.

I worked so hard to get down to this size, I sure hope I lose the last 3, hoping 5 more really quickly!!
Unread 11-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Weight Loss post op

I'm down 11 pounds as of this morning... yeah!

I still swear the fibroid weighed about 50 pounds though.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register