Weight Loss post op - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Weight Loss post op Weight Loss post op

Unread 11-06-2007, 08:08 PM
Weight Loss post op

I lost 17 pounds before my 2wk post check. Today at the the office a gained a few pounds back but I know its fluid from what I did to myself sat. because my tummy is all swollen again and I have those gas pains back.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007, 09:31 PM
Weight Loss post op

I don't think my right leg would fit into a size zero--Wow! That's amazing.

I wish my surgery could have entailed some lipo, a tummy tuck---hmmmmm and maybe a few other somethings. Oh well! Maybe for another day...and different doctor.
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:40 PM
Weight Loss post op

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxerowned
I lost 15 lbs in the month after surgery and have gained it back. I haven't changed my eating, but I"m going through hormone replacement difficulty. My Dr. also will be checking my thyroid, which she said it is not uncommon to develop thyroid problems after a BSO (my mother started thyroid meds 6 months after her hyst and has been on them for 49 yrs...she's 90). I just hope I can get evened out hormonally. Just when I think I've found what works for me I get a bad reaction. I'm trying BHRT now, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
I lost 10 pound after surgery and have now gained it back. I don't think I am doing anything different now, except I crave candy. I don't even like candy that much. How did you get your doctor to check your thyroid? I think my doc will just tell me to exercise more and eat less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2007, 01:05 AM
Weight Loss post op

I lost 13 lbs after surgery, plus another 8. I don't know how, I haven't exercised, I'm not dieting, so I don't get how I lost the weight. I am happy to be rid of the extra weight. I tried for 4 years to lose weight and was only able to lose 2 lbs. so to be this is a blessing. I'm only now starting to exercise so I'm hoping to lose 30 more lbs.
Unread 11-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Weight Loss post op

Speaking of losing weight... has anyone asked their doc about going on a diet right after surgery? I keep telling myself that I need the food for my body to heal! LOL
Unread 11-07-2007, 09:01 AM
Weight Loss post op

Quote:
Originally Posted by worrytoomuch

I wish my surgery could have entailed some lipo, a tummy tuck---hmmmmm and maybe a few other somethings. Oh well! Maybe for another day...and different doctor.
When I was at the a woman in the room across from me, had a TAH/BSO and a TUMMY TUCK. She told me that since insurance didn't cover tummy tucks, her gyn/surgeon had arranged for a plastic surgeon to do the tuck very cheap. I thought that was so funny. I did see her before pix and there was a huge difference.
Unread 11-07-2007, 10:19 AM
Weight Loss post op

Dear Amoureux....

Pleeze don't tell us that you're wanting to diet now!! Aren't you the one who's wearing a size "0"??

Believe me, I know how much it means to be in a size "0".... I'm there too.... and don't mind being able to wear my 18 year old DD's clothes sometimes. But surely now is not the time to deny our bodies whatever they need to repair and heal. (This is the best excuse I've had to eat in a long time!!)

Dieting is great when your body is well and not struggling to recover from major surgery. Just my opinion.... eat healthy and drink plenty of water.... take it easy.... and see what your body does with that on its own before trying to lose weight now.

I hope I haven't spoken out of line.... don't mean to be "a know-it-all" 'cause I certainly don't. Just speaking as one who is where you are now "size wise".... I Know we don't have much of a "reserve" for our bodies to draw from during this "crisis" they are dealing with.....

But, as always, your dr is the one to advise you about the safety of dieting now.

Be kind to yourself and do take care....

Best of luck to you in whatever you decide!!

Dinkum
Unread 11-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Weight Loss post op

My dh and I are both nurses. I have had body image issues during and before our marriage. I went into surgery weighing 92. Came out weighing 98, and a week later weighing 89. I further dropped to 85.4, from stress and lack of appetite. I worked hard to get up to 90, then got the stomach flu yesterday and dropped again. He yells at me all the time to eat more. Even when I AM eating, it's not enough for him. He' s saying that my body can't heal on my what I'm eating. I try to concentrate on getting enough protein for healing, but most of it gags me. I wish I had a good appetite b/c it would be so much more appealing to eat. I think I'm healing ok, but won't know until my 6 wk check up. I asked my doc pre surgery if he was nervous about me being underwt. He told me "not as nervous as if you were very overweight". I think a middle place is a good place to be. I hope nobody is trying to lose weight right now. The body has been thru the upper limits of stress. Give back to it, thank it for getting thru. I'm gonna go figure out something to eat that won't make me sick. I'm still getting over this flu.
Unread 11-07-2007, 07:24 PM
Weight Loss post op

I asked my gyn/oncologist if it was OK to lose weight while I am recovering and he said fine as long as I don't go on any crash diet. I told him I lost 45 pounds from May till September on 1000 calories or less a day and he said if it worked for me to go for it. Now before anyone screams at me that 1000 calories a day is not enough it depends on what you spend those calories on. Pre surgery I was eating fruit, veggies and low fat protein, since surgery I have little to no appetite and have been eating more carbs and I think they are making me feel worse but I just can't eat much protein or veggies right now. I will give myself another week to see if my appetite comes back before I limit my carbs, after all I have to have something in my stomach with the antibiotics, oh yeah and I am still taking 3 iron pills a day which I am sure isn't helping with the desire to eat.
Unread 11-08-2007, 11:38 AM
Weight Loss post op

I'm 6 weeks out and have lost 10 pounds. And really did nothing different. I actually don't have much of an appetite which helps. I'm hoping for 10 more!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register