How Much Sitting Is Too Much During Early Post-Op Weeks? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How Much Sitting Is Too Much During Early Post-Op Weeks? How Much Sitting Is Too Much During Early Post-Op Weeks?

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:11 PM
How Much Sitting Is Too Much During Early Post-Op Weeks?

Hi Ladies,
I had a LAVH/BSO on Oct 22, so I'm about 1 1/2 weeks post-op today. I know I need to rest a lot, especially as I do get tired when I'm up standing and walking for a little while, but I am so bored with lying down all the time. Have any of you received any guidance about how much sitting is advisable in the early weeks after surgery? Is there any harm in sitting if it isn't painful? Would a recliner be better than a regular chair so I could lean back and take some weight off my bottom? I have a very comfortable desk chair at my computer desk, but I know I read somewhere that it isn't good to spend too long sitting at the computer, even though I want to. Does anyone have any advice about a good ratio of lying down to sitting to aim for in the early recovery weeks?

Thanks,
Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2007, 04:39 PM

I spent my time in a recliner after i got up in the morning -- (of course that was usually around 8 - 8:30) and even spent time in the office at the computer

- you do not have to feel like you need to stay in bed all day long --

getting up -- moving around -- sitting they are all good for you

listen to your body -- sounds like it is saying -- enough of the bed -- lets move forward.
Unread 11-01-2007, 06:24 PM

Thanks, Lisa - that's good advice. I would rather be up and around, but I have noticed that I tend to spot just a little when I am moving around, and I don't when I am lying down more. I guess a little spotting is normal this soon after surgery - my internal stitches haven't had time to heal yet. I'm feeling a little uncertain about exactly what my body is telling me at this point.

Take care,
Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-01-2007, 07:09 PM

IF you want to sit up sit up .. my dr said sitting up for a bit each day was great and good for my lungs too.
hugs
lisa
Unread 11-01-2007, 08:14 PM

When I laid around too much, my back really started to bother me. I found that each day, I was able to move around a bit more. Short walks felt good, first just in the house, then down to the mailbox. By the second week, I'd say I was probably sitting up more than I was laying. Even if I just moved from the sofa to the love seat, it was better than staying flat on my back for hours on end.

The most important thing is that you listen closely to your body!!

Best wishes and happy healing!!
Unread 11-03-2007, 07:46 AM

Lisa and Ann,
Thanks for responding to my question. I agree that moving around is better for my lungs and my back. 'Taking it easy' isn't as simple as it sounds, especially as we get older - it seems like different parts of my body need different things!

Take care,
Linda
Unread 11-03-2007, 08:43 AM

It seems it's hard to find a happy medium. I putzed around here and there and just listened to my body - that seems to be hard for us ladies.
Unread 11-03-2007, 05:02 PM

Mine was Sept 18, and I spent the first two weeks in bed due to anemia real bad. I was just too tired. I am finally feeling better and have been up and in the recliner most of the day. Laptop on legs. When I feel tired, I go and lay down and watch tv in bed and sometimes just rest, not sleep though. I want to clean my house so bad though! Just like most said, listen to your body and rest when you start to feel tired.
Unread 11-03-2007, 05:06 PM

I just have to reply to this... as I am holding back the tears. We had a thing at our church today from 12:30-5:30 that was a craft day. I took my halloween pictures and scrapbook things to scrap. I sit there from about 1:30-4:00 and I wish I had not. I didn't realize the difference between laying and sitting was so huge. I had to take a pain pill, the first one is 5 days! OUCH!!!!!!!! I also, found a stitch when I wiped, and freaked out. So.... I don't know how much is okay, but 4 hours is NOT okay.
Take it easy, and try to really prop up your feet if your sitting any time at all!
BTW.. I am 9 days PO.
Unread 11-03-2007, 05:52 PM

I didn't sit much in the beginning, it took about a week for me to get on the computer & I could only sit for 1/2 hour a day at the most for the 1st few days & took a couple weeks for it to be comfortable for a longer period. Even sitting for dinner wan't that comfortable for awhile. I think it was a good 3 weeks before I was comfortable in most situations. I had a LAVH.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register