1 yr. anniversary still feel bad pls. help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

1 yr. anniversary still feel bad pls. help 1 yr. anniversary still feel bad pls. help

Unread 11-02-2007, 05:40 AM
1 yr. anniversary still feel bad pls. help

Today is my one year anniversary. I am 56 and had been in meno for 4 yrs and was feeling great. I had everything removed because of a chance of cancer from a grapefruit sized complex ovarian mass. Thankfully, no cancer. But I can count on one hand the number of good days since the surgery. I had been anxiety and panic free for 15 years before the surgery, that returned with a vengence. Over the top anxiety feeling almost all the time, plus almost constant heart palps (checked out by doctor, just nuisance pvc's but still scary to me) tinnitus, shaking, bad sleep, irritable, and a greatly diminished quality of life. There was an anesthesia mishap during the surgery, two failed attempts at an epidural which resulted in a spinal "headache" which meant I had to lay completley flat for 10 days or suffer excruciating pain. Also, discovered this year spondylolithesis or a slipped vertebra and have to have surgery soon for a nasal polyp. Also, urinary issues and possible interstitial cystitis. What a year!!! I am seeing a behavior therapist who says that the entire surgery ordeal resulted in post tramatic stress. Now she and my PCP are wanting me to try Lexapro. Has anyone had any experiences with this drug that you can tell me about. It's been such a hard year and I really feel like I am wearing out. How long does anxiety after hysterectomy last? I am not on any HRT. Love you all, I've never posted but you've pulled me through so many times, at all hours of the night and day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2007, 10:57 AM

Hello. Have you had your blood sugar checked? Some of the symptoms you have expressed sound like you may have either high or low blood sugar or a problem with your thyroid. My sister has thyroid issues- one of the main symptoms is prblem with sleeping, anxiety and heart racing. My mom is a type 2 adult onset diabetic and one of the main symptoms of that is problems wth UTI and cystitis. Sounds like you and your drs. are on top of things. Hope this helps.
Unread 11-02-2007, 10:59 AM

A month ago, I posted a message saying that it had been six months from my TAH/BSO and I thought I had turned the corner and was feeling good for the first time in fifteen years. I spoke too soon. I had two good weeks, then the fatigue and worn out feeling hit me again. I want to feel normal again and have enregy so I can have a life! I am not taking any HRT except for estrace cream twice a week for vaginal dryness. It's hard. The surgical menopause was a shock to my system. I can't sleep so I take Lunesta which gives me a solid six hours of rest. I wish you felt better. I believe it is possible to have post traumatic stress syndrome after going through a hysterectomy. I think I'm having PTSS. My doctors put me through the wringer for years before surgery telling me that my severe pain and symptoms were all in my head. They refused to do tests, etc., even though I asked for tests. I told my doctors that I though I had endo, etc. Anyway the pathology showed I was right. But afterwards when the doctor saw what she'd missed, she became awful, called me a liar, and then lied to me. I recently got a copy of my medical records and saw that my dcotor wrote false information in the records to protect herself. I was stunned. My records say that the patients says she has severe pelvic and abdominal pain, then it says that they recommend I see a psychiatrist for the pain, even though I had all the symtpoms of endo/adeno, PCOS, etc. I could go on. Before my TAH/BSO I tried anti-depressents becasue they were suggested by my doctors. For me they didn't help much and I quit taking them. There were side effects like weight gain, insomnia, headache, fatigue. Anxiety and heart palps, etc. are known to happen after a hysterectomy and surgical menopause. Maybe taking a low dose anti-anxiety med (xanax or valium) for a short time may help you get over the worst of times. Before my TAH, xanax and valium helped me deal with the anxiety of my pain. It also helped me sleep better. I just hope that your therapist doesn't tell you that your physical problems are all in your head and that you are psycho. You are going through a very tough time and need help figuring out how to feel better. If your doctors aren't listening well to you, please search out new docs who will take your problems and concerns seriously. Hang in there! You have been through an ordeal and most of the doctors who put you through it wouldn't even understand. You have my empathy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-02-2007, 12:17 PM

your ovaries still produce hormones even after menopause. that could be part of the problem...that your ovaries were removed and your body felt good with the small amount of hormones that you still received. can you take hrt?
Unread 11-02-2007, 12:27 PM

I understand so many of your feelings. I haven't felt "right" since my TAH las t year. The worst problem is the sleeplessness. My dr just put me on Restoril. I take it at bedtime. I am finally getting a decent night's sleep. It also helps with anxiety during the day.
Unread 11-02-2007, 01:22 PM

HI, thanks so much for all your comfort and help. To answer a few questions, my thyroid and cortisol are normal so that removes them as culprits. My dr. said no to HRT because she only gives it for night sweats or hot flashes and I am not experiencing those. I did try the kind you insert and had unpleasant side effects for those. I think it might just increase my anxiety to keep trying different forms to get the right mix at this point. Hormone jungle probably describes it well. But as I said, no one seems to want to go that route with me. The surgeon kept saying that I probably wasn't producing significant amounts of hormones and that I'd do just fine so it just goes to show that a little can go a long way and when you are suddenly without you realize how much even a little is beneficial. I'm sorry to hear that any one else is also feeling so horrid even longer that me! Blessing on you all!!
Unread 11-02-2007, 02:13 PM

I was already on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety meds. for years before my surgery, because of a very traumatic life event. The Clonazepam (valium) really helps me to sleep at night, but if you do not get in a full 8 hrs sleep with it I have a terrible headache in rhe morning. the anti-depressant that I am on is Cymbalta. the first one I tried didn't work. the palpitations I was having seems to have been caused by my heart over working to compensate for all the blood I was loosing every month. I hoping for the rest of my life and my health to be much better after this. i am 4 weeks post-op from a TAH, but they left my ovaries. No problems yet. Well wishes to the others who are having these problems, my heart goes out to you.
Unread 11-02-2007, 02:30 PM
Hope You Feel Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracefd
Today is my one year anniversary. I am 56 and had been in meno for 4 yrs and was feeling great. I had everything removed because of a chance of cancer from a grapefruit sized complex ovarian mass. Thankfully, no cancer. But I can count on one hand the number of good days since the surgery. I had been anxiety and panic free for 15 years before the surgery, that returned with a vengence. Over the top anxiety feeling almost all the time, plus almost constant heart palps (checked out by doctor, just nuisance pvc's but still scary to me) tinnitus, shaking, bad sleep, irritable, and a greatly diminished quality of life. There was an anesthesia mishap during the surgery, two failed attempts at an epidural which resulted in a spinal "headache" which meant I had to lay completley flat for 10 days or suffer excruciating pain. Also, discovered this year spondylolithesis or a slipped vertebra and have to have surgery soon for a nasal polyp. Also, urinary issues and possible interstitial cystitis. What a year!!! I am seeing a behavior therapist who says that the entire surgery ordeal resulted in post tramatic stress. Now she and my PCP are wanting me to try Lexapro. Has anyone had any experiences with this drug that you can tell me about. It's been such a hard year and I really feel like I am wearing out. How long does anxiety after hysterectomy last? I am not on any HRT. Love you all, I've never posted but you've pulled me through so many times, at all hours of the night and day!

I was told that I had anxiety. I have been having raising
in my heart,palpations every day. They said my ekg,ech
was ok. But my 24 holter showed all the systems.They
also put my on heart medication to help with the palpatations and raising and also anxiety pill once a day.
I have to keep my self come down and also have no sodas
with caffiene. I hope that you feel better. You are kept in
my prayers.

Creshaunda Robinson
Unread 11-03-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beller5
A month ago, I posted a message saying that it had been six months from my TAH/BSO and I thought I had turned the corner and was feeling good for the first time in fifteen years. I spoke too soon. I had two good weeks, then the fatigue and worn out feeling hit me again. I want to feel normal again and have enregy so I can have a life! I am not taking any HRT except for estrace cream twice a week for vaginal dryness. It's hard. The surgical menopause was a shock to my system. I can't sleep so I take Lunesta which gives me a solid six hours of rest. I wish you felt better. I believe it is possible to have post traumatic stress syndrome after going through a hysterectomy. I think I'm having PTSS. My doctors put me through the wringer for years before surgery telling me that my severe pain and symptoms were all in my head. They refused to do tests, etc., even though I asked for tests. I told my doctors that I though I had endo, etc. Anyway the pathology showed I was right. But afterwards when the doctor saw what she'd missed, she became awful, called me a liar, and then lied to me. I recently got a copy of my medical records and saw that my dcotor wrote false information in the records to protect herself. I was stunned. My records say that the patients says she has severe pelvic and abdominal pain, then it says that they recommend I see a psychiatrist for the pain, even though I had all the symtpoms of endo/adeno, PCOS, etc. I could go on. Before my TAH/BSO I tried anti-depressents becasue they were suggested by my doctors. For me they didn't help much and I quit taking them. There were side effects like weight gain, insomnia, headache, fatigue. Anxiety and heart palps, etc. are known to happen after a hysterectomy and surgical menopause. Maybe taking a low dose anti-anxiety med (xanax or valium) for a short time may help you get over the worst of times. Before my TAH, xanax and valium helped me deal with the anxiety of my pain. It also helped me sleep better. I just hope that your therapist doesn't tell you that your physical problems are all in your head and that you are psycho. You are going through a very tough time and need help figuring out how to feel better. If your doctors aren't listening well to you, please search out new docs who will take your problems and concerns seriously. Hang in there! You have been through an ordeal and most of the doctors who put you through it wouldn't even understand. You have my empathy.

WOW, I had to look to see where you are from your story is just like mine. I never thought of the PTSS but my doctors did the same thing to me UUUGGGFFFF I finally fired my dr Wed... and went to urgent care for a knee problem that my dr didnt tell me enough about and after six weeks of pain and a 3 waiting for a simple test to be sent back I had had it! You all have my empathy too!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register