Anyone with experience with Adhesions? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anyone with experience with Adhesions? Anyone with experience with Adhesions?

Unread 11-02-2007, 11:24 PM
Anyone with experience with Adhesions?

Hi ladies,
I had my TVH on August 29 and ended up with a post op infection, resulting in 2 additional surgeries and needing to have 6 inches of my colon cut out. I met with my surgeon this week who said the bowel problems I've been having are due to "Adhesions that are kinking the bowel, leading to bowel spasms". He said that since I'm still in the healing process so he wants to wait about 6 months before making any decisions, but said that I will probably need surgery to try to remove the adhesions. He said there is a chance that my body will adapt itself and I'll "learn to live with it", but additional surgery is a possiblility. Have any of you had/have adhesions and if so, what are your experiences living with them? If you had them surgically removed, what was your recovery like? My surgeron said that he would first try to do it laproscopically, but it that didn't work, he would re-open my incision. Yuck.

Jackie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2007, 08:31 AM

Jackie,

It's funny because a friend of mine who had a BSO one year ago and then had additional surgeries for adhesions and an appendectomy 4 months later told me yesterday no matter how your body feels take the time for recovery do not rush it.
She was back to work after three weeks post op and that was where she made her mistake.

When did you get back to your normal activities? Did you take your full 4-6 weeks rest and recovery?

There is a reason why the docs tell us we need the time.
for you
Unread 11-03-2007, 11:10 AM

Honestly, I really did not rush my recovery at all. For the first time ever, I actually followed all my doctors advice and didn't lift anything over 5 pounds, didn't vaccum, and rested all the time. They feel the adhesions are due to the significant infection I had which resulted in 2 additional surgeries (one abdominal) including having to have 6 inches cut out of my colon. The adhesions are around my colon.
I'm just returning to work part time next week. I think that is what is most fustrating... I really followed my doctors advice and STILL ended up with a major post op infection and now I have adhesions to deal with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2007, 12:12 PM

Jackie,

How long after your surgery did your doc discover the adhesions? Exactly what kind of pain and how intense was it? How long after hysterectomy did you start feeling these pains?
I am two weeks post op, have been having intermetent intestinal pain, but my doc says its cramping from the strong iron supplements I've been taking.

I sure everything will be fine. My friend needed surgery only because of her appendix.
Unread 11-03-2007, 03:59 PM

I started having the "crampy/constricting feeling about a week or two after my third surgery. Since I feel it mostly on the right side, and its close to where the drainage tube (had that for 4 days post op), I thought is was just my skin/tissue healing from the drainage tube. I have my "good days" where I have very little discomfort and my bowels either move good or not at all, then there are days where I "hurt", can feel the bowel spasms, and can't be too far from the bathroom. I've been told that adhesions are very common with both abdominal surgery as well as any surgery on the colon/digestive system so I guess I was a double whammy for the chance of getting them. The thought of needing surgery again, after everything I just went through, is completley overwhelming. And because I really truely followed doctors orders (mostly because I was too sick not to), it just seems so unfair.
Unread 11-03-2007, 10:08 PM

Jackie, I'm not sure if this helps you or not but this is my experience w/ adhesions.
I had two c-sections {95 & 98} and from them I grew scar tissue and that grow the adhesions..well the last 4 yrs I dealt with on again & off again severe pelvic pain that would last a few days to a week and go away and then in March of this yr the pain stayed and my doc done a laperoscopy surgery {thinking it was Endometrious} and was gonna laser it out. To find the adhesions..My entire stomach was filled with them, ALL of my organs were attached together and even my bowels were in that mess and it had my bladder and uterus literally stuck together that they had to cut it off of my bladder..they couldnt have saved anything in there if they wanted to.
I wanted the pain to stop..I couldn't lie on my back w/ my legs straight down, had to have a pillow under my knee's because it was pulling my bowel down..
HOWEVER I don't know what you going through, just wanted to give you my story, dont know if it'll help you out or not.. I wish you ALL the best.
Unread 11-03-2007, 10:57 PM

I had my hyst Aug 20th and at 5 1/2 weeks post op I started having pains. I had a ct scan and a ultrasound that showed what looked like ovaries and cysts (but my ovaries were removed during hyst). By 7 weeks the pain was 24/7 and terrible(back on percocet) Had a diagnostic lap on week 9, found and removed tons of adhesions. I am still recovering from the lap. I will be 2 weeks out from it on Monday..dr appt on tues.
Unread 11-05-2007, 09:37 AM

Hi Tiffany- so you had a lap two weeks ago. What is the recovery period on a lap surgery? I have used up all of my sick time at work so if I need another surgery, I will need to use my vacation time.
hope your doing better... did you notice a big difference after the lap surgery?
Jackie
Unread 11-05-2007, 09:48 AM

I had a exploratory Lap done in april of this year because i was having searing pain in my left lower abdomen and they found addhessions from a hernia surgery that i had when i was 2months old.so it took all most 29 years for me to feel the pain.when i had my hyst on the 29th of Oct my Doctor foun a bunch of addhessions in my right upper abdomen where i have NEVER had surgery!so we don't know why they grew there.she said that I may just grow addhessions for no reason.It took me about 8 weeks to recover in april from my lap but i also had a lot of pain control issues and had a infection that i had to deal with during recovery.hope this helps,
Unread 11-05-2007, 11:08 AM

Dr told me that there wasn't a good general estimate for a lap recovery. A few days to several weeks. Well for me, appearantly it is more than 2 weeks. I go in tomorrow for my post op appt. I have had a harder time with this surgery than with the hyst. Maybe it is because I am really recovering from two surgeries at the same time. I was hoping to go back to work on Wed....but I had a tough weekend, so I am not sure that I can handle it yet. I will let you know what the dr says tomorrow.

I did notice a big difference, the pain I was having was gone (new different pain from surgery was bad for the first week, less the 2nd.)

GOOD LUCK

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register