I feel weak. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-03-2007, 01:55 AM
I feel weak.

So, I had my hysterectomy on Halloween, I came home Thursday night. I woke up this morning, I feel so weak, my stomach is swollen, the gas pains are horrible, is all this normal? And if so, when does it start to improve? I have been walking around the house trying to get the bowels working and keeping my lungs clear. I don't have much of an appetite, but I have been drinking a lot of fluids. I just need to know if I should be doing something else or not doing something to make this recovery go better. Any advice given will be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2007, 03:06 AM
I feel weak.

You should be reclining in a comfortable position, resting, sleeping, drinking fluids, taking your pain meds and protecting your body so it can heal.
Unread 11-03-2007, 03:26 AM
I feel weak.

It takes time to heal after a major surgery. Some easy walking and drinking water should help with the gas pains. Eat light easy meals as not to aggravate the gas. Don't let yourself get constipated from the pain meds or that will make matters worse. Plum Smart Juice really helped me along with Milk of Magnesia. Best luck and know we share your pains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2007, 05:56 AM
I feel weak.

Hi there,
Yes, it's all pretty much normal. You're less than a week post-op.

Rest a lot! Drink water. And follow your doctor's orders as well as the great suggested mentioned above. I drank a lot of no sugar-added cranberry juice, as well.

Allow yourself to heal. And good luck!
Unread 11-03-2007, 08:35 AM
I feel weak.

I didn't do much of anything my first two weeks. My doctor said nothing but rest and walking for six weeks.
Unread 11-03-2007, 08:41 AM
I feel weak.

Listen to your big sisters! Your appetite will come back. Food doesn't taste like food right now does it?! Light meals like soup or broths, hot cereal in the morning, hot liquids. Fluid is very important. I kept a pitcher of water on my night stand and drink constantly from it. The gas feelings for me diminished about 2 weeks in. I used Metamucil to off set any constipation. Use a binder for your abs it helps alot when you have to get up and walk around. I also put a foot stoop at my bed side which help getting in and out of bed much easier.

As far as getting comfortable, my mom bought me the softest body pillow! So I would lay sideways with my leg draped over it and belly pressed against it or prop it behind me for back support and have another pillow btwn. my knees.

Your body will do all the work for you. just take your meds, and rest. I read in one of the threads that you will see improvement week to week and that is what helped me because it was true. I'm entering my 6th wk post op and one weeks ago even a few days ago I could not tell you I would feel as good as I do right at this moment.
Unread 11-03-2007, 09:26 AM
I feel weak.

I agree with what the girls are saying as usual. Rest, rest, rest is the key. Your appetite will come back. Soup and toast got me through when I did not want to eat. I spent most of my time in the recliner and slowly walked about the house when I needed a change. I drank a full pitcher of water a day, used prunes, and still need stool softeners!

I could not sleep on my side really comfortably until my staples were out but the pillow between your legs works great when you can. I found if I laid on my back but bent my legs with the knees up ( back flat on bed, feet flat on bed, knees up) it relieved the gas alot.

Resting is really the only thing that helps you heal. Follow the rule and rest as much as you can!
Unread 11-03-2007, 09:54 AM
Something to try

I had my TAH 10/24 and am struggling with the loss of appetite and gas pains but othwise feel pretty good. I am a Medical Assistant so working in the field really helped me. You need to eat some protein if you eat anything at all. Scrambled eggs are the best. I also have wheat toast with peanut butter in the morning. The protein will give you strength. Keep drinking water or even gatorade to help keep hydrated. I try and walk up and down the driveway a few times daily to keep things moving and reduce feeling "so tight". I also took myself off the pain meds which can make you constipated. I do find taking Milk of Mag. helps too when there seems to be no hope.
I hope this helps. Hang in there!
Unread 11-03-2007, 08:47 PM
I feel weak.

all of it is normal..
rest , walk around some , drink your water!
Have you tried any Gas X? that really helped me with the gas pains..Oatmeal, cherios, fruits and veggies helped with the BM's And feeling so very weak is part of it too..
Just be careful and take it easy and very slow!
Unread 11-03-2007, 09:37 PM
I feel weak.

rest rest rest...you will find alot of answers here and alaot of caring sisters. it takes time. But you will be feeling better soon. Take care of yourself and get pampered.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register