Constipation! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Constipation! Constipation!

Unread 11-03-2007, 12:40 PM
Constipation!

Good Morning Friends:

Well...the recovery is going pretty well I think. After I figured out that I needed to take the pain pills, I am feeling better. I didn't take them because when I wasn't moving around, I felt fine. But if I coughed, or turned, I was in serious pain. All is good now with the pain. But..., I am completely constipated. I have not had a bowel movement since Tuesday, the day before the surgery. I got some stool softeners yesterday, but " no go" !

I thought that I read that stool softeners are better than laxatives, but at this point, I just need something that works.
Help!!

Rebecca
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2007, 01:01 PM
Constipation!

Make sure to drink lots of water, walk, continue with your stool softners, increase fibre and even get some prune juice.
I'm sure things will work over the weekend. Remember that your probably had a good cleaning out before surgery and didn't eat much afterwards.
Unread 11-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Constipation!

The pain meds will cause you some constipation so you really have to stay on top of this or the pain will be worse. I personally on doctors orders take laxative along with the stool softerns. She the has me on 2 stool softerns in the morning and 2 on the eveing with a 8oz glass of prune juice and this really works for me. It makes me regular and I really wasn't pre surgery. Also just to be sure I have 2 cups of coffee in the morning and I'm good to go. Before this I just suffered and you feel terrible just to get you going try a laxative, this will help as you ease off the pain killers. Of course this was my doctors advice for me I'd check with your doctor for you. Best of luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2007, 02:53 PM
Constipation!

My doctor said to take stool softners and Milk of Magnia if needed. I did take one dose of M of M around the 2nd day. Also, applesauce and prunes helped alot as well. I got some of the individually wrapped prunes (in clear canister) and they were pretty good. I still take 1-2 stool softners at bedtime just to keep things moving. Drink lots of water and keep walking.
Unread 11-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Constipation!

I am 4 days past surgery and haven't gone yet. I am also a little nervous about it.

I am drinking tons of water and sent DH to the store to get some Raisin Bran as that normally does the trick.
Unread 11-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Constipation!

I went a full 7 days after surgery without having a bowel movement and ended up having to use an enema. It was super painful, but worth it! Now I find if I don't drink enough water, I get in trouble. All Bran and raisins for breakfast and an apple sometime during the day seems to be doing the trick. It seems like some veggies and lettuce are not sitting well with me. A couple of times since the enema, I have had to use a suppository because pushing hurts too much and if I do not go, my tummy hurts like crazy by my incision.

Good Luck!

Melissa
Unread 11-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Constipation!

I had this issue 2 days ago, and was in TEARS, until i came to the board for help. I got some MOM (milk of magnesia) and I LOVE IT. NO CRAMPING (like with a laxative) and I also got grape/apple and prune juice and warmed it in the microwave and it helped a TON TOO! The doc told me pain pills will cause you to stay constipated and all that. TO drink LOTS Of water and take the MOM as needed. Maybe try something like that. I know all of our bodies are different and react to diff. things. Some days all i have to do is drink 1 glass of apple juice in the a.m. and I am good. (except for the cramping as it's all moving down ward)
Unread 11-03-2007, 05:31 PM
Constipation!

I feel for you all. My doc put me on 2 stool softeners per day right after surgery, until my first BM, which wasn't til day 5 post op. When I finally went, I was in the bathroom all night. And Lots of pain!!!

I cut down the next day to one stool softener per day, but that wasn't enough. So called doc and they told me to try Milk of Magnesia once a day and stool softener once a day. I'm still not "regular" and still have some pain during BM's but it's getting a little better.

Be patient. Your bodies have been through so much. When they do the hysterectomy, the doctors are disturbing the bowels. In my case, my endo was very, very severe in that area, so I had even more done to that area, they had to remove it all. The anesthesia and pain meds just add to the trauma of the surgery itself.

Take care...........

Christine

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register