Has this happened to anyone ~ hematoma? UPDATE | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has this happened to anyone ~ hematoma? UPDATE Has this happened to anyone ~ hematoma? UPDATE

Unread 11-03-2007, 03:44 PM
Has this happened to anyone ~ hematoma?

I had a hemotoma to develope and open on at the incision sight. This happened to me one morning just as my husband was getting ready to walk out the door for work. I had blood running everywhere and made quite a mess. This bothered me greatly and was so un-nerving and worrisome. I have been going back to my physician to get the opening repacked with gauze and solution. The blood was not dark brown, but it was not bright red. My doctor told me it was just blood from the night before that had pooled around the opening of the incision. My husband has been changing the packing and bandages each day. Serveral times, the bleeding breaks through the packing and bandages. This has me greatly concerned and discouraged. I want this to heal and the incision to close quickly so I don't have to struggle through this. I'm afraid to move, roll in bed during the night. I have limited myself to pretty much the bedroom and the bath. I even refuse to take a shower but a sponge bath instead.

If anyone has experienced this or cares to comment, it would be so helpful and encouraging.

Thanks,
Songbird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2007, 04:13 PM
Has this happened to anyone ~ hematoma? UPDATE

Hun, I am so sorry that happened to you. I haven't gotten anything like that, but I had a TVH. I just wanted to offer some encouragement, b/c I don't have any thing to offer as far as advise. I wish that I did. I am so sorry! I wanted to say, IT WILL GET BETTER! Your incisions will heal and the blood will stop. I would really stay laying as much as you can. The more you get up, the more you will bleed. I know it's hard, but really really try! Just try to remember and keep in your mind that the incisions will heal and in a few days you will feel more normal than you do now, and each day will get a little less painful and more healing will happen. I am here if you wanna chat, or get things off your chest. I am so sorry, and will be praying for you to heal fast and the bleeding will clot and you will be able to move around more as you feel up to it!
BIG HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!
Unread 11-03-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbirdmcgraw
I had a hemotoma to develope and open on at the incision sight. This happened to me one morning just as my husband was getting ready to walk out the door for work. I had blood running everywhere and made quite a mess. This bothered me greatly and was so un-nerving and worrisome. I have been going back to my physician to get the opening repacked with gauze and solution. The blood was not dark brown, but it was not bright red. My doctor told me it was just blood from the night before that had pooled around the opening of the incision. My husband has been changing the packing and bandages each day. Serveral times, the bleeding breaks through the packing and bandages. This has me greatly concerned and discouraged. I want this to heal and the incision to close quickly so I don't have to struggle through this. I'm afraid to move, roll in bed during the night. I have limited myself to pretty much the bedroom and the bath. I even refuse to take a shower but a sponge bath instead.

If anyone has experienced this or cares to comment, it would be so helpful and encouraging.

Thanks,
Songbird

That must be so upsetting--I can imagine how scary it was/is. But if your doctor isn't too concerned, that's heartening. I had a very mild version of that--woke up one morning with blood on me, my pajamas, and my bed; one little section of the incision was leaking blood. I saw the PA that day; she said it was nothing to worry about it, and sometimes it happens, and to put gauze over it to protect my clothes. It leaked/bled on and off for about a week, then it stopped. I just ignored it as much as I could, no harm was done. Very unnerving, though.

I hope you get through this phase quickly! Try not to worry--it'll be okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2007, 07:28 AM

Did you restrict your movement any? I am a side sleeper and I'm afraid to roll over on my sides and try to sleep. It has unnerved me and I feel it has pushed my recovery back becasue I am constantly looking to see if it's bleeding.
Unread 11-04-2007, 08:54 AM

songbirdmcgraw

I'm sorry you've had this happen.

There have been other ladies with the same experience ~ if you try a "forum search" (click right of the main page of this forum) you'll be able to read through the posts. A similar thread to yours is currently on page 2 of this forum <link>: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...light=hematoma.

It's very early days in your recovery and I hope everything settles down very soon. Will you let us know how you get on? Take care!

Unread 11-04-2007, 09:24 PM

I am sorry you are going through this. I had/have an internal hematoma that we are still watching so I know how painful they are. What are your doctors plans? Are you just waiting for now? I think they will eventually heal on their own if I understand correctly. I pray you have pain free nights soon.
Janelle
Unread 11-04-2007, 10:41 PM

I just had a dealing with a haematoma on Halloween night. However, mine didn't present itself on the outside. Instead, it was on the interior wall near my incision and it came gushing out. I ended up in hospital again! It's nothing really bad to worry about but it is something to keep an eye on. Because mine didn't appear as a bruise and because it ruptured on it's own, the doctors just had a peak, cleaned me up, watched for more signs of bleeding, then sent me home on strict restrictions regarding activity levels. Most haematomas will actually dissipate on their own. I have has some vaginal bleeding since Wednesday but it is not nearly like the horror show that night. Haematomas don't happen to everyone but the doctor says it's not uncommon.

Pam
Unread 11-05-2007, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by songbirdmcgraw
Did you restrict your movement any? I am a side sleeper and I'm afraid to roll over on my sides and try to sleep. It has unnerved me and I feel it has pushed my recovery back becasue I am constantly looking to see if it's bleeding.

Not really, no. Because the doctor was unconcerned, I really tried to grit my teeth and ignore it. Still, it was unnerving, and I winced every time I saw blood on the inside-front of my clothing. I was very glad when it stopped.
Unread 11-07-2007, 07:00 AM

Good Morning Everyone

Just wanted to update you all regarding my Hematoma.

I saw my Doctor on Mon, 11/5 after examining me he decided that he need to back in in and around the incision area and take a look at what was going on. So at noon on Monday I was back in surgery. The procedure was about 15 mins. He found some clots and drained the pocket. He placed a drain tube in. I stayed the night (my request) and was sent home last night with my staples and drain tube.

My DH will empty the little bulb twice a day and we are to track the ml's that we gather.

I will see the Dr on Friday morning. At that time, he will determine to remove the staples and tube.

He is very confident that this will take care of everything. He said that he did see healing occuring and just this little set back but now with drain tube will aid the rest of the healing process.

Thanks for your notes of encouragement and especially your prayers!!

Songbird
Unread 11-07-2007, 07:04 AM

So sorry you had to go back in but it's great you called and the doc saw you right away.

Good luck with overcoming this setback. Take things slowly and give yourself the time to heal.

Best wishes to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register