First time driving? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First time driving? First time driving?

Unread 11-03-2007, 04:03 PM
First time driving?

When was the first time anyone post op drove. And for how long of a period. Is the tired feeling you get from other activities the same here as well?

My mind is wondering right now a good friend of mine lost her husband this week the service was today. I felt like and still feel like jumping in the car! I know what everyone will say about activity at this point.

She knows my situation and said if I could make it here is the information and I confidently said I would be there. I could have cabbed it but getting back from that part of town in the evening is a bit dicey to me. Right now I feel horrible. I won't get to see him off and I won't get to hug her. I know she'll understand but...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2007, 07:02 PM
First time driving?

I had to drive a short distance last week (only two weeks post-op from TAH/BSO) because my hubby's car broke down.

Then this Monday (3 weeks) I HAVE to drive to take my son to tutoring. He's missed two weeks already, and I have no one else to take him.

It's not the actual driving that bothered me...it's the bumpy roads. They just about double me over with pain when I get home, but I don't know what to do. I have to drive this week as my husband travels.

I use a pillow, but doesn't help much. I know I most likely shouldn't drive, but what do you do when there is no one else?
Unread 11-03-2007, 07:17 PM
First time driving?

I've been driving some, almost 2wks post op.. but I've not taken any pain meds & haven't felt very tired or anything..doesn't feel any different..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-03-2007, 07:33 PM
First time driving?

My surgeon said a week, but I waited because I didn't feel up to it. I started driving on day 11, usually just a few miles to get kids to/from school events. I drove more yesterday and today. I'm planning on driving over 50 miles over 3 hours on Tuesday, and don't really see that it will be a problem. I have noticed more achiness on the right as I've picked up on driving, but nothing too bad. I've avoided back roads with lots of stops and turns, and fortunately, many of the roads I use were repaved this summer. I also make sure that I take ibuprofen before I drive.
Unread 11-03-2007, 07:39 PM
First time driving?

I'm sorry to hear about your friend's husband. I'm sure she will completely understand if you can't be there for a few more days.

I didn't drive until about the 3 week mark. I was a little nervous since I drive a stick, but didn't have any problems. I did feel a little sluggish -- as if my reaction time wasn't quite up to par the first few times out, even though I had been off pain meds for awhile.

My advice would be to make your first couple of trips short, and go from there.

Best wishes.
Unread 11-03-2007, 07:44 PM
First time driving?

I started driving before 2 week post op and it wasn't the driving that bothered me but the getting back out of the car. Now I am at (2 days shy) 3 weeks and I drive like I did before surgery. Doesn't bother me anymore, though bumps aren't my favorite but its okay.
Unread 11-03-2007, 08:19 PM
First time driving?

I drove at 10 days post-op. I did some errands, by My last one, I was tired. I think it was more of the getting in and out of the car that did Me in. I'm 2 1/2 weeks out now and I can drive like normal.
Unread 11-03-2007, 08:56 PM
First time driving?

Wow, you guys have been getting around huh? My doc told me she didn't want me doing anything for 4 weeks. Total abdominal rest she said. This makes wk 5 going into the start of 6. I too have had more discomfort on my right side too when raising my foot at times, but nothing major. I can see why a_new_life would say her reaction time seemed sluggish. Foot action may not be as coordinated the first time out. Hum, slow and steady.

Anyway I'm not an everyday driver and the service is over and I have resolved that it's better to be safe than sorry and laid up for a day or two.

I think part of this feeling of guilt is from the fact that I said I was going to be there and I wasn't. Again I know she will understand and she has much more pressing things on her mind unfortunately today than me.

You ladies are great! LOL I wish you guys were there for alot of things in life!

Much Love to you all. Hey all you road runners, don't forget to love yourself while your out there!

fld
Unread 11-03-2007, 09:11 PM
First time driving?

Hi Fld,
My doc said 2 weeks no driving but I am never one to do exactly as I am told...hehehehe
I am not able to vacuum or lift anything over 20 pds and I am listening to that I am so scared of ripping the inner stitches....
But I still walk regularly and do most of my normal routine... If you ever need anything or cheering up... I am usually on some sort of roll....LOL
I love to laugh and make others laugh...
Unread 11-03-2007, 09:26 PM
First time driving?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanother78
Hi Fld,
My doc said 2 weeks no driving but I am never one to do exactly as I am told...hehehehe
I am not able to vacuum or lift anything over 20 pds and I am listening to that I am so scared of ripping the inner stitches....
But I still walk regularly and do most of my normal routine... If you ever need anything or cheering up... I am usually on some sort of roll....LOL
I love to laugh and make others laugh...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register