First time driving? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First time driving? First time driving?

Unread 11-03-2007, 09:45 PM
First time driving?

Dear fld....

Just my humble opinion for what it's worth...

I know that your friend would love to see you now and that you would like to be there for her.

But one thing to think about is the fact that she's going to need someone even more in the weeks to come as she settles back into "normal" life which isn't going to be "normal" for her anymore.

It just may be that all will work out for the best.... and you can visit her at a time that she may actually need you more.

Be patient in your recovery..... rest, heal, and plan to visit when you are more sure of yourself. It'll be better for you and you'll be stronger for her as well.

Blessings to you.... Take care...

Dinkum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2007, 05:55 AM
the morning after

Your absolutely right. I've been thinking about that...alot. Your absolutely right.

Bless you,

FLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinkum
Dear fld....

Just my humble opinion for what it's worth...

I know that your friend would love to see you now and that you would like to be there for her.

But one thing to think about is the fact that she's going to need someone even more in the weeks to come as she settles back into "normal" life which isn't going to be "normal" for her anymore.

It just may be that all will work out for the best.... and you can visit her at a time that she may actually need you more.

Be patient in your recovery..... rest, heal, and plan to visit when you are more sure of yourself. It'll be better for you and you'll be stronger for her as well.

Blessings to you.... Take care...

Dinkum
Unread 11-04-2007, 08:49 AM
First time driving?

Wow! You ladies are brave!

My Dr said no driving for four weeks, six if I can manage it. She said an emergency stop could do lots of internal damage, and besides which most insurance companies won't cover someone for four weeks after major sugery.

I've reached the four week mark and I'm still too scared to get behind the wheel... I know I'm lucky I've had DH to run me about when I've needed it. The rest of the time I've just stayed home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2007, 09:03 AM
First time driving?

hey fld.........i'm sure your friend will understand, and i'm sure she will appreciate your time/effort/energy when you can make it to see her. you can get together and farewell him in another special way. it will also help her with her grieving process.......lots of times people don't get to share grieving with others, other than on the day of the funeral, which is not long in the scheme of things.

as for driving...........i decided to go with the 6 week maxim, as i've heard of people who've had abdominal surgery having to put the brakes on suddenly, and have split their stitches. no way i wanted to risk that, and end up back in the castle, with potential adhesions afterwards etc., UUGGHH! ! prefer the inconvenience of not driving for the period. anyway, tomorrow will be my first day behind the wheel ! ! YEEEHAAA........ i love to get out and about, under my own steam ! ! i can hardly wait ! !

so, plan a day later with your friend, and make it special......gee.
Unread 11-04-2007, 09:04 AM
First time driving?

Hi buttons11

I see you are in the UK too. My hospital advises in the booklet they gave to me that there is no driving after TAH for 5-6 weeks also. Although I also cannot imagine getting behind the wheel, when my DH takes me out the bumps are uncomfortable enough! My post-op appt is for 27th November (6 and a half weeks post-op) so I am going to wait and see what the Dr says before I attempt driving, or much of anything else that could do damage!

Take care ladies!!!
Unread 11-04-2007, 10:56 AM
First time driving?

I had a TVH on 10/23 and when I specifically asked my Dr about driving he said... "you're a big girl. If it hurts, don't do it"... he said to listen to my body and I' d know if it was too early to drive.
Unread 11-04-2007, 02:48 PM
hmmmm...

that almost feels like walking a tight rope without a net, in my humble opinion... for me anyway. Answers like that get me a little miffed. I suppose I'd rather have a more defined line to go by.

In my mind I'm the kind of person that would think to push myself to do something just because I think I'm a wuss for not doing it. Not always the best thing from my experience. I "drive" myself crazy thinking should I shouldn't I...what if.

But certainly... we won't attempt something that we're not physically comfortable with.

From the answers I've gotten, it seems that those that attempted had serious need push the envelope.

But thanks. It's really good to hear how everyone deals with what seems like a little thing in our everyday activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barelysane
I had a TVH on 10/23 and when I specifically asked my Dr about driving he said... "you're a big girl. If it hurts, don't do it"... he said to listen to my body and I' d know if it was too early to drive.
Unread 11-04-2007, 03:11 PM
First time driving?

(((fld))),

I, too, was thinking that your friend will really appreciate your support and company in a few weeks when things calm down and reality hits. God has a way of working things out for the best...
Unread 11-04-2007, 04:26 PM
First time driving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fld
that almost feels like walking a tight rope without a net, in my humble opinion... for me anyway. Answers like that get me a little miffed. I suppose I'd rather have a more defined line to go by.
But thanks. It's really good to hear how everyone deals with what seems like a little thing in our everyday activity.
I drove about 5 days ago and I ended up hurting pretty bad. So I didn't do it again. Then I drove yesterday and it didnt hurt at all. However, I'm not dr
iving more than I have to because I dont want to push it.

I do have a Drs appointment 20 minutes away on Thursday..
Unread 11-04-2007, 04:33 PM
First time driving?

I haven't driven yet and I'm almost at 5 weeks.

My doctor said when I felt like driving to sit in the car in the driveway and think about moving my leg to the break pedal like I would in an emergency stop. If I was able to do it without problems I could drive.

I could drive now but my husband doesn't want me to rush. I think i'll drive to the hairdresser's this week.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register