First time driving? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

First time driving? First time driving?

Unread 11-04-2007, 05:09 PM
First time driving?

I think that's a good indicator,Luv2knit and Barelysane you sound like me, I'd try it because of...what ever, but I don't know that I would have turn off the block! But You know the funny thing about this recover guys is that something you try today maybe uncomfortable and then tomorrow or a day later no problem. It's really weird!

You know I think I like the idea of sitting in the car and moving my feet from peddle to brake... just because as I mentioned before, there is some discomfort on the right side. Even When I go to lift my leg to put on a pair of pants... or even my socks. I have been in the car as a passenger this past week and I tell you ladies it was a little awkward, and yeah the "cuff queen" seemed not pleased.

It really got me curious about what was stitched and where was it stitched to! So I looked it up and I was amazed once again with the human anatomy. It made me appreciate the way my body adapts and how science helps it to adapt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Knit
I haven't driven yet and I'm almost at 5 weeks.

My doctor said when I felt like driving to sit in the car in the driveway and think about moving my leg to the break pedal like I would in an emergency stop. If I was able to do it without problems I could drive.

I could drive now but my husband doesn't want me to rush. I think i'll drive to the hairdresser's this week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2007, 05:47 PM
So...on another note

Do you guys feel this is a chance to start all over with yourself? Or is it back to business as usual? I have read all kinds of stuff regarding the mental aspects of why fibroids develop. One theory is that there is suppressed/unfulfilled desires the women has, over "mothering" others and not caring for ones self. I don't know.

I personally have had many frustrations in life because I tended to suppress...yeah... my thoughts and feelings more in work situations. It was horrible, I've changed careers since then. But I guess if the statement is somewhat true, that huge fibroid was my parting gift.

Cheers to the moment of awakening!
Unread 11-10-2007, 08:42 PM
First time driving?

My doctor said I could drive as soon as I could hop on one foot. It's funny but it makes sense. He said that when you have pain, you might hesitate to put pressure on the brake pedal. So if you can hop, you can use the brakes when necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2007, 09:07 PM
First time driving?

That's really a great way to tell, Twistedly. Now I'm going to hop on one leg (almost 2 weeks post-op) and see what it feels like ...

Okay, well maybe if I had a swelly belly band. Definitely not free-standing.

Unread 11-10-2007, 09:15 PM
First time driving?

My paperwork said driving at three weeks or when the doctor gives you the okay. The things I've been reading online suggest "test driving" in your driveway, braking hard, etc., before you head out, which makes complete sense to me. I know with my incision right where the belt would go, I sit in the passenger side holding the seatbelt out some with my hand. Well, you cannot safely do that and drive. Personally, I think that I'm going to give it a while until I'm not spazzing each time something touches my incision area. I'd rather not put myself and innocent people at jeopardy because I want to go out somewhere...that's just using common sense if you ask me.

I sympathize with those women who don't have someone who can run up to the store to get something for them or run their children places for them...because there is no option...but if you have the option I think it's better to heal up some more before chancing an accident. Accidents DO happen.
Unread 11-10-2007, 09:33 PM
First time driving?

I cannot imagine how bad an accident would be for healing. Even just a moderate fender bender. Makes me nervous.
Unread 11-10-2007, 10:11 PM
First time driving?

I was aloowed by my Dr to drive 2 weeks post-op. On 10/23 had TAH/LSO didn't come home w/pain meds just taking 600mg. Motrin.
Unread 11-11-2007, 07:20 AM
Drivin'

Well, I did my six wk.post op but even more interesting I drove for the first time this past Wednesday. I never got to do the driveway test because as in true mommy fashion I was delayed with other things more pressing.

Truly I would say every-body is different. And it depends on the procedure. I had a TAH. While I was surprised to see some driving at two weeks, I could not even sit down comfortably on my bed let alone walk the stairs at that point.

Even on the date I wrote the post I was still having some discomfort which has now disappeared! I can now walk comfortably for a distance, jog in place...no problems!

Well all the best to you all in your recovery!

FLD
Unread 11-11-2007, 08:03 AM
First time driving?

My doctor told me that I could drive after 2 weeks which would be tomorrow. I did drive a little last Wednesday and again yesterday due to family transportation problems. In both cases I was not more than a few miles away from home.

While it did not tire me out or hurt I was aware that my brain was not totally functioning. I'm sure there is some residual effects due to the anesthesia that we need to be concerned about. Heaven forbid we get into an accident and it is discovered that we are still under the effects of anesthesia. The insurance companies would have field day with that one.

So while our bodies may say we can handle driving before the doc okays it there are other reasons why we should be very careful getting behind the wheel too early.
Unread 11-11-2007, 09:13 AM
First time driving?

I finally drove a very short distance this week. What I found the hardest part was turning around to back out of the driveway. I hadn't considered that to be an issue. Thankfully, I don't have a lot of abdominal pain but we never know just what we're pulling inside.

I think I'm ready to resume regular driving now but it's taken almost 6 weeks.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register