How much does a uterus weigh? - Page 8 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How much does a uterus weigh? How much does a uterus weigh?

Unread 11-27-2007, 08:28 PM
How much does a uterus weigh?

LOL Goosey! I am lucky, I tend to heal fast and I have pretty high pain tolerance (once "broke" my leg and then packed up my apartment and moved the next day thinking it was just really bruised.) My doc thinks I am a little nuts. I was making jokes with her when she was doing my endometrial biopsy when most of her patients are in tears and actually wanted to go back to work this week but was given a "don't even think about - sit back and relax a little".

Personally I think the body does what the mind and emotions need. I am single and my own sole form of support. I started my job a few months before surgery so I have no sick leave, vacation or other income while I am down. I've always had a "you do what you have to do" attitude towards life and thankfully, my body has cooperated for the most part. Of course it might have been nice if it hadn't decided to use the stressfree periods to grown an insanely huge alien but hey... who am I to complain?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2007, 09:26 PM

davila, and i think they should oblige us a tummy tuck, don't you?!?!?! i also asked for a little lipo on the neck when i had my thyoidectomy.

is a little silver lining too much to ask?!
sheesh!
~goosey
Unread 11-27-2007, 09:28 PM

Mine was the size of a volleyball (8 tumors) but it weighed less than a pound (go figure!). I am 4 weeks post op (tomorrow) and my swelly belly has started to go away! I am 5 pounds lighter than when I went in (couldn't eat anything for about a week after the surgery) and I have kept the weight off.

Not a recommended way to lose weight but it is the first time I have been able to see below my bellybutton in two years! I love the new me!

TAH/BSO October 31.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-27-2007, 10:19 PM

My dr. told me an average uterus weighs 80 grams and my uterus with its "contents" (i.e. fibroids, etc.) weighed 807 grams. I thought "Wow I've lost a lot of weight!" but if you convert grams to lbs. it only equals 1.8 lbs.
Unread 11-28-2007, 12:05 AM

Hello Ladies:

My doctor told me a normal size uterus is the size of a tangerine. My uterus was the size of a large grapefruit. From pre-op to 2 week post-op, I dropped 10 pounds. As my appetite has come back, I'm sure I have gained back at least 5 pounds. The pain meds made my stomach very upset so I couldn't eat much. Now that I'm only taking 1 pain pill per night, I'm getting my appetite back!!!! I've heard that most people don't have a weight change in the end. I too, wish my uterus weighed about 25 pounds. I was totally "hoping" for that but of course, no luck.
Unread 11-28-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFenix
Goosey - I had a SAH (kept cervix and ovaries) with a 9" long vertical incision (belly button marks the center). Doc said they tried to keep the incision below the belly button but the bugger was just too big and she couldn't evenget her hands around it at that size. It measured 25x16x14cm (10" x 6" x 5.5") - huge under the best of circumstances but when you consider that I am only 5' tall to begin with, it reached almost to my sternum.

Ok ok you win!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought mine was huge at 5.5 lbs...it is really is amazing how much better you feel right after the weight is lifted from your internal organs and you can breath again! i was lucky and they didn't have to go above my belly button and stopped just below it. I'm only 5'3" so I know how you must have felt.
Unread 11-28-2007, 01:37 PM

I lost 7 pounds, but I don't think that had much to do with my utereus. It was swollen to the size of someone about 12 weeks pregnant, but while I was home I didn't drink soda (why would I want to swell even more?!?) and I wasn't going out to dinner or having drinks with the girls. I can't believe how much of a difference that makes DARN IT!

I do have this weird ledge where my incision is - it's like my belly kinda hangs over it, where it used to be just pudgy.

Unread 11-28-2007, 02:13 PM

Octavia - LOL! I won by getting the monster out. And you are right at how amazing the changes in how you feel are. I told me friend today that if it is true that you don't really feel 100% for about 6 months then the world needs to watch out because I feel amazing at just 2.5 weeks. If it just keeps getting better then there will be no stopping me by the time I get 6 months of healing under my belt.
Unread 11-28-2007, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustFenix
Octavia - LOL! I won by getting the monster out. And you are right at how amazing the changes in how you feel are. I told me friend today that if it is true that you don't really feel 100% for about 6 months then the world needs to watch out because I feel amazing at just 2.5 weeks. If it just keeps getting better then there will be no stopping me by the time I get 6 months of healing under my belt.
As someone who is 6 months out I tell you the feeling is fabulous! I have been able to enjoy life and be active whereas before I was just being (and being quite uncomfortable at that). Do take it easy, despite how great it feels, there was a lot of cutting on the inside that'll bug you for a while.

I was able to camp, swim, canoe, bike, hike, and ice skate - hadn't done any of those for years!
Unread 12-05-2007, 10:46 AM

My doc told me a normal nonpregnant uterus can weigh up to 60 grams...mine was a lovely 941 grams. And I felt each and every one of those grams of weight. Thank God it's gone!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register