Pain Med Question | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain Med Question Pain Med Question

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:36 AM
Pain Med Question

Had TAH/BSO on 10/16... almost 3 weeks post-op now. Was sent home with 20 Vicodin 1 every 6 hours as needed. Prescription renewed after 10 days - 30 Vicodin 1 every 6 hours as needed.

I'm down to my last 3 vicodin.... only take them late afternoon or sometimes only at bedtime.... but have never taken them on schedule because I didn't feel I needed them throughout the day.

I've tried Advil (1 at a time), but really don't get much relief from it. I've read many posts here that refer to 800 mg Ibuprofen.... is that the same as 4 Advil (200 mg) at a time????

I don't want to go overboard with pain medication - but really appreciate the relief from the vicodin.
Should I ask for another refill? Or try to get more relief from taking more Advil?

Just a note.... I already have stomach issues from taking Aleve daily due to Fibromyalgia way before surgery.... hence my concern with the Advil.

Sorry for such a long post.... Thanks so much for your patience and opinions...

Dinkum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2007, 12:00 PM
pain meds

Hi Dinkum,

I am almost 2 weeks post-op, and I have been using 2 advil at a time during the day as needed, maybe once or twice a day, and 1 norco (7.5 hydrocodone, 325 acetaminophen) at night at bedtime. I also use 1 mg ativan at bedtime to help me sleep.

At 3 weeks post-op, if advil is not helping a lot during the day, maybe you need to check with your doc about further pain relief.

It can be hard to wean off vicodin or norco or similar narcotic pain meds - if I try to do it suddenly, I get horrible headaches. so in my experience it is better to taper off gradually, and sometimes I have needed a doctor's help.

Best of luck to you and hope you feel better soon!

Unread 11-04-2007, 12:39 PM
Pain Med Question

Hi Dinkum,

Prior to this TAH, ibuprofen took care of any ache or pain I have. I have bursitis on my left hip and 2 ibuprofen take away the pain, and when my back goes out, ibuprofen works.

So I was very surprised to find that ibuprofen does NOTHING for this hysterectomy pain. I figured I'd need the Percoset for a few days, then switch. After one long miserable evening, I found out different. I don't know what the mechanism is for pain, but it's funny how the pain from my bursitis, (which is agonizing), can be handled by 2 ibuprofen, but my hyster stuff, which during the day doesn't really hurt, needs the Percoset. About 3-4 pm, I start to really hurt around in that area.

So at least for me, I can understand where you're coming from. I do trust that every day I am healing, and I know that some day, I won't need the Percoset. But until that day comes, I'll take what I need. You are in my thoughts for a good recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2007, 12:55 PM
Pain Med Question

Thanks so much ladies!!

Glad to know this pain stuff at 3 weeks out is somewhat normal.. Guess I thought it would be almost gone by now..... wishful thinking... huh?

Also happy (bad term) to hear that it's not too unusual for ibuprofen not to be effective.

You're right, bobbygigi, 3-4 pm is the bewitching hour for the pain to return to the point of really needing relief. And by bedtime, it's impossible to even think about sleeping with the discomfort.

Moohaha- you too are right....weaning from vicodin is scary if you've come to rely on its effectiveness... I don't really care what I need to take.... as long as the pain subsides so I can rest.... just happens to be the vicodin that's done the trick so far. I'll touch base with my Dr. tomorrow and see what he recommends.

I appreciate your replies.... and wish for you, too, a speedy and complete recovery.

Take care....

Dinkum
Unread 11-04-2007, 01:40 PM
Pain Med Question

Hi Dinkum! My doctor prescribed both a pain pill (I believe it is Tylox that has codeine) and also a prescription for the 800mg Ibuprofen (Motrin). I don't like to stay to medicated throughout the day, so I have been using the ibuprofen during the day and it is wonderful for me. I have been doing the stronger stuff at night to try to get uninterrupted sleep. It may be all in my head, but the prescription Ibuprofen seems to work better for me that taking the same mg of something else over the counter.....it may be worth a try for you so you don't feel like you are having to load up on the heavier stuff. Best wishes!!
Unread 11-04-2007, 04:24 PM
Pain Med Question

i would get a refil, and if you don't need it, then dont take it, but if you do need it, you'll have some. Better to be safe than sorry.!!
Unread 11-04-2007, 04:35 PM
Pain Med Question

Thanks for your help girls.

I'll call the dr. in the morning and ask for a refill. Don't know why I have such a "hang-up" about asking for more meds. Guess I'm paranoid about being seen as "addicted". But I know that's not the case- or I would have been asking for the refill several days ago.

Anyway.... I think my hormones / or lack thereof are affecting my judgement... and making me over-rationalize this whole situation. (Can they do that???)

Thanks for letting me ramble.... You're a great bunch of ladies!!

Dinkum
Unread 11-04-2007, 04:48 PM
Pain Med Question

I only recently became aware of this term "drug-seeking behavior" since having my TAH. It infuriates me. We have legitimate pain and are made to feel guilty for needing pain meds, while real drug addicts seem to have no problem getting all the drugs they need. Something is out of whack.

It's obvious that I don't use prescription pain meds to anyone who looks at my insurance record, and yet when I had to call to the hospital for a refill, the nurse I talked to had the most demeaning tone of voice to me. Why is it that my neighbor, who I know is a fraud on the Social Security Disability system, has a kitchen table full of strong pain pills for her ten years of "bad back", and here I am, one week out of major surgery and getting another 20 pills is seen as very suspicious.

Crazy world.
Unread 11-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Pain Med Question

I'm 2 weeks out of the shoot from a TAH. I was prescribed Hydrocodone every 4 hrs. I did indeed need them that often for the first week ( if I didn't barf them up!)...have weened myself back slowly to just using them at night now and take tylenol if needed during the daytime. I went from 4 hours to 6 hours if I could at first, and slowly replaced them during the day. However,,,I called my Dr. for a re-fill, and I will have them on-hand just incase I need them at some point. I live in the mountains and one hour from my pharmacy,,,so I say, better safe than sorry in the middle of the night. No one who has had major surgery like we have should be made to feel quilty for needing an RX for pain...good land MAJOR SURGERY. Best of luck to you all for the day when we all feel as good as new again! Med free!
Kate
Unread 11-04-2007, 08:40 PM
Pain Med Question

I have 4 left of the 20 Percocet I was prescribed. I still have a bit of pain and have hydrocodone that I use for migraines. Since the doc's 1.5 hours away and I don't think they can call percocet in (and there are no refills), I suppose if I still need some relief, I'll take the hydro.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register