This is the worst I have felt | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

This is the worst I have felt This is the worst I have felt

Unread 11-04-2007, 06:57 PM
This is the worst I have felt

Honestly, this is the worst I have felt since coming home from the hospital. I didn't do much today, I did a small bit of dishes early this morning and took a shower.

I don't know what the pain is from, if it's gas, constipation, the surgery, maybe it's everything. I certainly think I have all these things going on right now. I just want to sit here and cry.

My son had his girlfriend over earlier, with her 6 year old daughter. We were playing a game and I had to gracefully bow out. I just am not up to it tonight. You know, sometimes when you're in pain that's really all you can be. So company is gone and I've sent my son to the store for dulcolex suppositories and dried apricots. Took another percocet.

Now just reclining wishing I were anything but what I am. Major pity party going on here with me tonight. I hope I feel better tomorrow. Tomorrow is my first day alone all day. Just me and my dog. I hope I'm up for it. Maybe a good night's sleep will help?

Thanks for listening...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2007, 07:03 PM

Hello, there, dear. You are so very close to your surgery still, and to think you tried to be company for your son and his partner and her family, well, my hat's off to you. I remember feeling very bad for several days after my surgery. When people wanted to come by and say hello (you know, just the social calls they surely felt they had to do and I surely felt I had to accept) -- well, such calls made me very tired and cross at the whole thing (my situation). I remember it often felt like one day forward, then two days backward.

I hope you have a nice day tomorrow with your doggie. Remember you are not supposed to bend much, so please be careful when it's time for feeding. You can always pour water into the water bowl from a mere bend at the waist. And for the feeding part, maybe just use a fresh bowl up on the counter that you lower down to the floor with a tongs or something. You really need to take care of yourself first, and everyone and every pet, else, after you are feeling better. This comes with a little hug to you this evening.
Unread 11-04-2007, 07:10 PM

Hello JoEllen! I am sorry you are having a bad day Try to remember that your body has been through a great deal of trauma. You didn't mention which type of hyster you had, but less than a week out, you are feeling as many of us have in the first week.

Gas and constipation pain are very common, and the worst things I remember from my first weeks of recovery. You are not alone, I cried over it frequently. The things that helped me most with it were walking around every couple hours and lots and lots of water.

Be kind to yourself and allow yourself the time to rest and heal. I promise you, it WILL get better! We are always here for you anytime you need a shoulder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2007, 07:19 PM

Thank you so much.

It does help so much to know there are women out there that know exactly what I am feeling, both physically and emotionally. What a great site this is, I'm so glad I found it.

I had a TAH 10/31. Sorry, should have said. Did get to keep my ovaries, very glad about that.

Yesterday was a pretty good day so today has taken me quite by surprise. I know realistically to expect a few setbacks from time to time.

Thank you again for your encouragement
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:24 PM

Hi..JoEllen.....finally found you again..wanted to see how your are doing...I see you are on the same rollercoaster many of us experienced....good days, good weeks, followed by a few bad days or set backs.....sometimes your body will be telling you to take it slow, you may be doing too much...I really did almost nothing first few weeks...went small food shopping for a few items and was in pain like I pulled muscles in my sided for days;...so didn't attempt that for few more weeks...now it seems much better...most of my sharp, stabbing pain, that comes out of nowhere with the nerve endings healing and scar tissue forming are gone for me now finally....so just try to rest as much as you can...it does get boring, but you don't want to do too much for quite some time yet....you can always go back and see what fun we had, woobie1, you and I.. the night before surgery, with your last supper thread...see we stuck by you than thru thick, and thin...no pun intended there either...LOL.....keep in touch......keep us up to date....
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:47 PM

LOL ribyra, you make me smile. Big hugs to you ... muah!!

Having a hard time again tonight but I think I know why. It's from the drive in the jeep across town earlier to see my doctor (I didn't drive). Pretty sure all that movement, bumping and turning took a toll.

I definitely seem to feel worse in the evenings. My doctor says I'm recovering nicely. He says I'm a good deal stronger than I let on. Hah! He should see me now!
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:54 PM

It will get better each day...JoEllen...stay on top of your pain meds and get plenty of fluids and rest.....as soon as you start telling funny stories again, I will know you are feeling better.....can't wait!!
Unread 11-13-2007, 01:57 AM

Hi - I had been such a trooper and a good patient for so long. I had endured everything with a sense of perspective. Then one night the gas, constipation and inflammation just hit me too hard for too long and I started crying and wailing. The pain was overwhelming. Advice from my doctor's office included resuming use of laxatives, soaking in a hot bath, using a heating pad, and using Advil. I found everything to be helpful except the Advil - it didn't reduce inflammation for me.

I started using a homeopathic supplement called Quercetin complex to reduce inflammation. This has helped tremendously. I also take a complicated regimen of mega-vitamins and supplements to boost my immune system and drink a half gallon of water each day. I have found that the supplements and vitamins have helped incredibly to bring down inflammation and get my intestines working again. I didn't get these things from a doctor. I went to a national health food store and got advice from the staff and bought a bunch of things to pin point my problems.

I hope this information may be useful to you or anyone else reading this.
- Dawn, TAH, August 7
Unread 11-13-2007, 03:11 AM

JoEllen49

I'm sorry you're having this pain but less than 2 weeks post-op, following major surgery, is still very early days. I was told to do nothing more strenuous than lift a mug of tea for 6 weeks! Doing the dishes (however little) and playing a game may be too much for you at this stage.

If you haven't done so already, it may help to read our HS article Post-Op Checkpoint Weeks 1 - 2 which is packed with information and will tell you how things should be on the activity front during this stage of your recovery.

Please rest as much as you can from now on as these initial weeks of healing are vital. Don't hesitate to contact your doctor, though, if you're at all worried at any point.

Wishing you all the very best for a smooth recovery!

Unread 11-13-2007, 04:46 AM

My TAH was just a tad over 10 weeks ago and I can't stress enough how important it is to BE CAREFUL and don't try to take on too much too early.

Don't lift, don't twist your mid section, walk - walk - walk, as much as you gently can. Don't over do ANYTHING!!!

We have just one opportunity to heal correctly. While I probably did too much at times, myself... I think for the most part, I was a good princess. Bored to tears, but careful.

I must say, I'm back to work full time, I feel fabulous, NO pain, a twinge or two at the incision after a full day... but no PAIN.

And... the best part of all of this... NO BLEEDING, and the sex is GREAT!!! No lack of hormones here baby!!! Ooooh yeah!!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register