So worried about heading back to work! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So worried about heading back to work! So worried about heading back to work!

Unread 11-04-2007, 09:58 PM
So worried about heading back to work!

Hi everyone!
I had a TLH on 9/28. Everything went well, I kept one ovary and my cervix.
I'm due back to work 11/13. Today is 11/4 and I'm still having pain. Pain really after the day is done, or after I've carried something, even if it's real light (I'm not doing heavy stuff yet). My job as a CNA requires lots of lifting. I work in a hospital, short staffed, and do not sit down except a 1/2 hr lunch. I'm petrified, since I'm still having such achey pain, and pain with just lifting things 10 lbs.
I have an appointment this week with the doc and I'm praying they will give me a little more time. I dont' want to damage anything getting back to soon if I'm not ready!
Any advice? This is my first post here
Thank you!
Sheri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:05 PM

I'm in the same boat as you! I had a SAH on October 1st and I'm scheduled to go back to work on November 13th. I'm still in pain and I am a cop. There is no way I could possibly return. I go back to the doctor this Thursday and I'm going to ask for more time. I truly believed I'd be off for 6 weeks but 4 of that would be spent deep cleaning my house! I thought I'd get the basement done, and the garage and clean out all the closets - DIDN'T HAPPEN! I am still in pain. I still shuffle when I walk. The more I do the more I hurt! I'm just going to tell my doctor what is going on and I'm sure she'll extend my time. I'm sure yours will do the same. Just make sure you tell your doctor how difficult it still is for you!

Pam
Unread 11-04-2007, 10:24 PM

Pam
Thanks for your reply! You are right, we need to be honest and just tell it like it is! You have an extremely physical job! My appt. with the doc is Tues, and I'll let you know what they said. You keep in touch with me too after your appt! Take it easy! I try to rest, but with a 6 yr old, that's tough!
Good Luck to you
Sheri
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2007, 10:30 PM

No problem Sheri: You know what I started to do as well - I started a little daily list of symptoms so I can present it to the doctor on Thursday. Now, the reason I started this was because I ended up back in hospital on Halloween night due to extremely heavy bleeding. Turns out I had a haematoma. I'm still bleeding slightly. I started a list from last Sunday and I'll take it right up to the morning I go see the dr again on Thursday. Just so she's well aware of what is going on. Both the surgeon and my family dr both know about the hospital visit as they both saw me that day but it's just a gentle reminder for myself so I don't forget to tell her anything.

My guess is I'll be off for about another 2 weeks. Although I do see improvement everyday, I guess I'm just a slow healer. I wish I could say I was taking the time to goof off!
Unread 11-04-2007, 11:09 PM

So glad to hear I am not alone! I had TAH/BSO 4 Oct. and honestly thought that in week 5 (now) I would be enjoying the pampering and treating myself to lunch with the girls, facials, shopping.... but instead find I can't drive without pain that night. I am a teacher and had planned on a return to work next week but if I can't even drive the 30 min. to school....?? I see my doc on saturday and will ask for another week. Feel frustrated that it is going so slowly. Doing more just sets me back! So continue to walk, drink water and rest in the knowledge that in time it will all be a memory. Am actually feeling better each day but just thought (planned!) that I would be further along by now! Oh well....glad to know I'm not the only one!
Thanks
Amouage (48 yrs)

TAH/BSO with intestinal adhesions to my fruit basket of fibroids.
Unread 11-04-2007, 11:44 PM
more time off work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm37
Hi everyone!
I had a TLH on 9/28. Everything went well, I kept one ovary and my cervix.
I'm due back to work 11/13. Today is 11/4 and I'm still having pain. Pain really after the day is done, or after I've carried something, even if it's real light (I'm not doing heavy stuff yet). My job as a CNA requires lots of lifting. I work in a hospital, short staffed, and do not sit down except a 1/2 hr lunch. I'm petrified, since I'm still having such achey pain, and pain with just lifting things 10 lbs.
I have an appointment this week with the doc and I'm praying they will give me a little more time. I dont' want to damage anything getting back to soon if I'm not ready!
Any advice? This is my first post here
Thank you!
Sheri
Do tell your doctor you are still in pain, cannot lift even 10 pounds and are plain exhausted. He should and can have mercy on you. I will be praying for your rapid recovery and a merciful doctor.

God Bless you,

Lori
Unread 11-04-2007, 11:46 PM
more time off work

Quote:
Originally Posted by northof49
I'm in the same boat as you! I had a SAH on October 1st and I'm scheduled to go back to work on November 13th. I'm still in pain and I am a cop. There is no way I could possibly return. I go back to the doctor this Thursday and I'm going to ask for more time. I truly believed I'd be off for 6 weeks but 4 of that would be spent deep cleaning my house! I thought I'd get the basement done, and the garage and clean out all the closets - DIDN'T HAPPEN! I am still in pain. I still shuffle when I walk. The more I do the more I hurt! I'm just going to tell my doctor what is going on and I'm sure she'll extend my time. I'm sure yours will do the same. Just make sure you tell your doctor how difficult it still is for you!

Pam
I'm with you, do tell your doctor everything, there is no way she would send her patient back so soon. I'll be praying.

Lori
Unread 11-05-2007, 02:29 AM
Hard to get back in the Swing....

I have had a few bumps on the recovery road. I had my surgery on 09/25 and was to go back to work on 11/06, at 6 weeks. But I had my 6 week post-op check up on Friday and my doctor said I need a couple more weeks. So I go back November 18. My doctor suggested half days for the first 2 weeks to help get back in the swing of things.

I have some lifting every day at work plus some stairs, but what worries me the most is sitting for long periods at the computer. I get pain and swelling and that hot feeling when I sit to long.

Not what my work wants to hear I am sure, but better to be ready. Still nervous, since I can't seem to go a whole day without pain or swelling. And that is taking it rather easy.
Unread 11-05-2007, 06:44 AM

I have my 1st post-op since the surgery today.TAH 108-07. I am suppost to go back to work on 11-20-07. I work management/retail. @ days before Thansgiving. I was thinking the same last night. I am still very tired and sore. Don't know what I am goin gto wear towork. Being management I have to wear my dress clothes and I know I can't get back into them. This morning I find myself very tired and can't stand up straight. I've been doing good off and on. I would love to have another 2 weeks off just toget myself back into shape. I do alot of heavy lifinf, reaching, pushing, and pulling, especially when one of my trucks come in. I knoe I am still healing inside because I have been having a discharge everyday know for about 2 weeks. Hopefully he will extend my rest 2 more weeks.
Unread 11-05-2007, 07:06 AM

What am I suppose to do when I go back to work? Tell them I can't walk fast yet, push the carts with truck items on them,reach the forms and redress them, climb the stairs to get something for a customer, unload the truck, walk hurridly to the other side of the store to answer a housewares call.Oh yeh..they're gonna pay me for that..lol i need 8 weeks, not 6 weeks. Do i sound like a whiner? sorry

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register