So worried about heading back to work! - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

So worried about heading back to work! So worried about heading back to work!

Unread 11-05-2007, 10:39 AM
So worried about heading back to work!

My surgery was Oct 11, due back to work on Nov 26. I had my first social outing yesterday, an hour at DD's concert, then a little reception, followed by dinner with family/friends. We left home at 2:30, got back at 7. I was and still am exhausted. I lost 20 pounds since I found out I needed surgery and had surgery (believe me, I could lose lots more), and was comfortably wearing jeans with plenty of slack. I could not zip any jeans today.

I am also planning on watching how I do over the next two weeks, and am considering extending my time off until the first week of December, then returning only 1/2 days for the next 1-2 weeks.

DH sees a conflict between trying to function in the non-work world if I'm not able to work... I don't. I can pick and choose what I can do outside of work, and generally can limit these activities in how long I participate. Yet, once we return to work, there's no retreat, especially this clost to the holidays.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2007, 11:13 AM

Hi all
I had 2nd post op appoitment yesterday. I had posted the orginal message that I was worried about going back too soon. They did an exam and everything is healed nicely. However, they said if I didn't feel ready to go back, then they would give me 2 more weeks. So my new date back will be 11/27. I'm so relieved, as I really need the time off. She said that 11/27 would be the max amount of time because then we'd have to get into physical therapy. I think having 3 more weeks from now will give me the time I need, physically as well as mental. I was real scared to go back too soon and damage something. But, she did mention if I did go back next week, I really couldn't damage anything but she could see how worried I was and just let me have the time off.
Thank you to everyone who responded. And I wish luck to those who posted their same concerns and hope you get the response from your doc that I did
Have a great day!!
Sheri
Unread 11-07-2007, 01:56 PM

I had a SAH/BSO and A & P repair with bladder sling on 9/19/07, which was 7 weeks ago today. I haven't done much other than rest and walk - my DH has pampered me wonderfully.
I drove for the first time last weekend and sat in church for 60 -90 minutes and have had a swollen, hurting belly since the sitting. I had an eye dr. appointment the following day which I also had to sit for, and my belly still feels swollen and hurts. I am supposed to go back to a sitting job on Nov. 19th, which will be 8 weeks of recovery and I still don't feel ready! At my 6 week checkup the Dr. said the swelling and achiness was normal and just needed more time for the swelling to go down. Has anyone else with repairs experienced this for so long? I'm beginning to wonder if it's not normal and maybe scar tissue has grown and that's the pain I feel. Help appreciated!

Joanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2007, 02:11 PM

Hi Joanne
I'm sorry about the way you feel! I am getting swollen after activity, too. I would definitely talk to your doc about not feeling ready. I found when I was firm I got more results. Working in a hospital, I know that the people are firm (not mean, just tell it like it is), get more results than the ones that say "Would it be ok....? I was thinking we could try...?" I just said "I don't feel ready, and would feel better with more time off. My doc didn't mention scar tissue at all with my pain, so I can't give you advice on that. Check with your doc. You'll feel better!
Also, congratulations on a wonderful DH. Mine didn't help me at all, that is why I am taking longer to recover and did too much too soon. I know he loves me, he just doesn't do well when I'm sick and having to do things around the house. Which upsets me and is no excuse, but that's a whole other post! LOL
Good luck Joanne!
Sheri
Unread 11-07-2007, 03:46 PM

Bookworm37..you mentiones Physical Therapy. Are you goin gto have therapy later? i think we should all have this after amajor surgery, just to know what to move and how much to get things back into shape.
Unread 11-07-2007, 06:41 PM

Hi there
I wasn't planning on PT for the hysterectomy, but I am looking into it for a similiar issue. I have interstitial cystitis, and I truly think I have pelvic floor dysfunction as well (they kind of go hand in hand). So I'm currently looking into PT for that, which I guess in the big picture will help the hysterectomy recovery, also.
I agree with you. After major surgery like this, PT would be so beneficial!!
Sheri
Unread 11-07-2007, 09:29 PM
Tips wo help with the sitting

Hi Joanne,

Best wishes! Like you I have a very supportive DH. I had a Rectal and Bladder repair along with some reconstruction. It hurt me everytime I would sit longer than 20 minutes. It has been 6 weeks for me now and I am doing much better. I have 2 more weeks off, then go back to a mostly sitting job.

Here are a few tips that have helped me. Sitting on several pillows. Last week I finally got one of those blow up doughnuts. Wonderful, not sure why they didn't give me one in the hospital. It relieves the direct pressure of sitting right on your owies. Also sitting while propping my legs up on another chair is another option.

And last when I would get the swelling, and hot feeling like my insides were on fire, I found a soft Reusable Ace Cold compress. That really helped more than anything. It does hurt some while it is cooling things down. But afterwards it feels so much better.
Unread 11-08-2007, 09:46 AM

Thank you Bookworm & Daisy Dew for your support and suggestions - I appreciate it so much!
I was never sure whether to use a heating pad or cold so I never use anything. I will try that!
We have the 3- day breast cancer walk in my city this weekend, and I wanted to go and cheer and support some friends who are walking, but the wholle sitting thing was concerning me since I know we will be there for a while and I'll need to sit. I think I will go and bring my pillow and hope for the best and have my ice pack waiting for me
Blessings.....
Joanne
Unread 11-14-2007, 06:55 PM
Went to the doctor

Hi everyone
I went to the doctor and she gave me an extra 2 weeks! I'm so thrilled. She did an u/s and said all is healed nicely inside, but since I don't feel up to it yet, (she thinks I did too much too soon), that I should take more time. I think if you're firm (you know your body best), the doc should comply. She said after a total of 8 weeks leave, they have to get into physcial therapy, so it's more of a hassle after that. I will go back on 11/27, 8 wks postop.
Hope everyone is well and you get the results I did! Just be firm and honest.
Hugs
Sheri
Unread 11-14-2007, 08:09 PM

I went back at seven weeks. I did fine but would have loved another week, ran out of paid leave so it was time to go back. It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but the first week back to work was TOUGH.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register