5 weeks and never had stapled removed - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

5 weeks and never had stapled removed 5 weeks and never had stapled removed

Unread 11-05-2007, 12:41 PM
5 weeks and never had stapled removed

To be totally honest I can't recall anyone at the hospital telling me I needed to take them out myself. But why would they give the staple remover to me to take home? Doesn't the doctor have them in his office???

I too am shocked at the thought of doing it myself. No freakin way. !!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoEllen49
You're 5 weeks post op and this is your first post-op doctor visit? I don't understand that. My first post op is tomorrow, one week after surgery.

I'm feeling kind of mad at your doctor, to be honest. Something doesn't seem right about this.

I'll look for an update later today, please be quick!

I also wondered why so many of you were getting post op visist so soon after their hyster. I have my app. Nov. 13 (6 wks) I don't have staples tho but you would think they would want to know how you are doing.
Unread 11-05-2007, 01:11 PM

Oh no!! I can't believe you still have them in 5 weeks after surgery. My gyne said 7 to 10 days was optimal. The gyne herself removed them (very gently and one at a time, I might add) and then replaced them with steri-strips.

After staple removal 10 days after surgery, my next scheduled post-op exam was about 4 weeks after surgery. Due to a complication, I had to see her sooner, though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2007, 01:12 PM

Can't wait to hear back from you twobtrue.

Since I was already home by the time i was due to have my staples removed, a nurse came to my house to do it. I remember my doctor saying the hospital would coordiante it with our local health community service, because, she said, not to come to her office to have them removed as she is not equipped to do so. I guess that'a why they gave you the staple remover Joellen49.

First doc appointment: i saw the doctor in the hospital on the 2 days following the surgery, but m first post op is scheduled for the 6 weeks mark.
Unread 11-05-2007, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobtrue
quick question. when the staples were taken out , who took them out? I know some have sadi they had them removed in the hospital, and some 1-2 weeks later. Were the ones in the hospital taken out by your doctor? And what about the ones 1-2 weeks later?
I am reading this post and your MD seemed irresponsible and left a staple there. I had staples and first set came out 1 weeks post op, the rest 3 days later NO LATER, can cause real problems.

I'm 2 1/2 weeks post op and been to Dr.'s office twice so far, next time I go is next week when I'm closer to 4 weeks, then again after 6 weeks. I would question the long wait.
Unread 11-05-2007, 01:48 PM

ya know after readin everyones post what I find most odd is the extreme differences. some go 1-2 weeks post op for foloow up some arent going till 6 weeks out per their drs orders. I find this odd. Some are getting staples out at home at hospitial before leaving and then you have some who seems like they have them in weeks later. When i ws pre op i found it strange to some got to eat the day before with minimal bowel prep while others had to do a full nasty no eat bowel prep. All this differences for mbasicly the same surgery anyone else find this swing in the "norm" odd? or am I just being odd at the way I look at it ?
Unread 11-05-2007, 01:57 PM

morningdew,

couldn't agree with you more. I know my doctor had very specific pre op procedures, and each doctor has their own I'm told. Seems like they are all making chocolate cake, but each has there own recipe and method. Go figure...
Unread 11-05-2007, 01:58 PM

Could you possibly have internal staples. I remember reading on here that someone had internal staples that looked like external staple but were made of a softer dissolvable material. Not sure, just a thought. Otherwise I would not be happy about them being in 5 weeks. Wishing you luck and hoping that your appointment went well.
Unread 11-05-2007, 02:05 PM

I, too, am amazed that there's no set standards for hysts, not even for the same type of hyst. I had stitches and staples at first, then after, stitches and steri-strips. I had to do bowel prep but could eat solid food.

It seems like no two women have the exact same experience.

Even my dr and my hospital disagreed. I went to the hospital for a pre-surgical EKG and the nurse said, "you're too young, we don't require these for your age, but your dr does, so we're doing it."

It got even more interesting. My gyne oncologist was the surgeon and my gyne assisted him and, at times, they didn't agree. The gyne oncologist has been doing this for almost 30 years and the gyne for only a few so the gyne would defer to the gyne onc (who was in charge, anyway).
Unread 11-05-2007, 02:30 PM

I was told by an OR nurse that ekg's are not required until age 50. I'm 49-1/2.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register