open hole incision experience | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

open hole incision experience open hole incision experience

Unread 11-05-2007, 08:06 AM
open hole incision experience

If you had an incision come apart, what did you doctor have you do? Pack with salt water gauze(given recipe to boil 2 cups of water for 5 minutes and add 1 tsp salt)? Wash in shower with soap and water? Do nothing? Did they have you use any special pad to cover or pack. I would like to hear experiences since I want this hole to heal and speed up the process. I am a bit wary that this office has much experience with wound holes and am getting a bit frustrated. Trying to maintain my composure when talking to them but getting a little angry. I can't imagine that I am the first to have this happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2007, 08:51 AM

I had holes open on each end of my incision. Doc just said to keep them clean with soap and water and he gave me more steri strips to hold them together. They healed up just fine.

Best of luck!
Unread 11-05-2007, 03:09 PM

My gyn just told me to keep the area clean and dry and said it was ok to use gauze to cover the opening but did not tell me to pack the hole. My incision opened up three different times. The third time it opened was a few days ago and still open now. At almost 7 weeks post-op I would think it would be healed by now -- ???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2007, 03:28 PM

About 1 3/4 inches of my incision is open and still leaking fluid. I see the surgeon once a week to check on it, and change dressings 3-4 times a day. I clean it with an iodine solution and then put neosporin on it cover it with sterile gauze and then cover it with a surgipad or now a smaller waterproof gauze pad . When I visited my gyn/oncologist he taped me up and I had to go back to him twice that week to redress it. Its been a pain in the neck. The radiology oncologist told me Friday it is healing very nicely well the other 7 1/2 inches are hardly noticeable but this one spot is still open hopefully it will close up soon, they can't start radiation until it does.
My gyn also says it is healing but he is frustrated wit it too because the rest of the incision looks so good. It just takes time.
Unread 11-05-2007, 03:36 PM

My incision opened up on both ends at 2 weeks post-op and was oozing pus. I was given antibiotics to fight off any infection and told to clean it with 50% hydrogen peroxide and 50% water. Hope this helps!
Unread 11-05-2007, 04:08 PM

Hi pizzahound (great name, btw): The bottom half of my vertical incision opened up the day after my gyne took out the staples. I was just sitting there, reading a book when I noticed the front of my pants was damp. Wound was 4 or 5 inches long, an inch and a half wide, and about a quarter inch deep.

Anyway, the doctor put me on antibiotics for 2 weeks. I had a home health nurse come by to show my family how to "wetpack" it. Besides keeping it clean (which I did in the shower, gently rubbing soap on it and letting water hit it), a family member had to "debride it (clean out the gunky stuff or dead stuff) twice a day and then, dip two 2 by 2 gauze pads in a saline solution (same thing as contact lense solution--found it at Walgreens), squeeze out the excess, pack the damp gauze pads into the wound, then cover with a 4 by 4 gauze pad taped down with surgical tape.

I had weekly nurse visits for 2 weeks and then we stopped those. Visited the gyne once a week to make sure it was healing ok and there was no infection.

They explained that the wet gauze would cling to the wound and then pull out the dead stuff when you gently pulled out the (dry) gauze pad.

It took about a whole month to close up. It meant I had to stay home from work for an extra 2 weeks.
Unread 11-18-2007, 12:02 AM

Hi, how's your incision healing? Mine pretty much split from top to bottom the day my staples were removed (my surgery was for ovarian cancer so the incision was a 14" vertical incision.) They had to clean it all out and it left a CRATER in my stomach that I could fit my fist in - you could see all the layers of epidermis. Good thing I'm fascinated by medicine or I might have fainted. They insisted I have a home health nurse but we were going on a trip so my husband did what was needed. We "irrigated" it twice a day with a saline/hydrogen peroxide solution - making a lake and then folding gauze into it until it was full. Then we covered it with quite a large bandage. Took about 6 weeks to close completely. Never painful - must not be any nerves down there!
Unread 11-18-2007, 02:36 PM

I am down to less than 1 inch of open incision, its a shame too becuase the rest of it looks soooo good and this last inch or so is not going to look the same. the doctor is upset but I told him only me, him and my husband is going to see it. h etold me i can do ome plastic surgery if I wanted, I replied if i am going to do plastic surgery I will suck the fat out of my behind so everyone can see I did something.
Unread 11-18-2007, 07:14 PM

Mine opened 9 days after surgery, and when I went to see the dr. he cut a little to drain it faster, then he put a wick in it and covered it with gauze I change it when needed, went to see him the next day and packed it and saw him again in two days he then did the silver nitrate treatment to help dry the inside faster and told me to take the packing out today, and it's still oozing not as much. I'm also on antibiotics then I see him in a week. I hope it heals soon.
Good luck to all of us!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register