Returning to work after LAVH | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Returning to work after LAVH Returning to work after LAVH

Unread 11-05-2007, 06:24 PM
Returning to work after LAVH

I was just wondering what was the usual timeframe for returning to work after a LAVH. I am scheduled to return tomorrow 2 and a half weeks post op but I have not been feeling great and started bleeding after my first brief day out on Saturday. I am meeting with my doctor today to review this timeframe but wanted to know what other LAVH ladies have been advised.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2007, 08:45 PM

My doctor said she has let patients go back prior to 6 weeks but they had restrictions on what they could do. My work only gave me 3 weeks off but I can get more if the gyn pushes for it (or I take my own vacation time). I know if I go back at 3 weeks, she will only let me go for 1/2 days and I will still have the lifting restrictions. I haven't had any bleeding though, so definitely talk with your doctor about it. I've also read some postings where sisters actually felt worse the 3rd week (like a set back) and then rebounded again.
Unread 11-05-2007, 08:48 PM

Take as much time as possible! Today I am 6 weeks post op and I went back to work today. It's too much. I am exhausted and sore (I was TAH). I worked from 8 to 3:30ish, the sitting at the desk was too much. Luckily it wasn't an overly stressful day. At noon I had faded completely and it was a challenge to make it to 3:30.
Good luck and listen to your body...if you can take the time off..take it!
Take care,
Mel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2007, 09:42 PM

I am going back to work on this Wednesday, which will be 6 weeks post op for me. Just take each day as it comes, it will get better over time and try to take foods with you that will give you energy, like fruit, etc.

Unread 11-05-2007, 09:51 PM

My doctor gives a flat "6 weeks" before allowing patients to return to work even after the LAVH.

I hope your appointment went well today!
Unread 11-05-2007, 10:24 PM

My gyn recommends at least 4 weeks off from work for any type hyst. I had an LAVH with bladder repair and was told I would be off longer due to the repair work. I was off for 7 weeks. I'm on my feet 8 hours and do a lot of lifting--heavy, light and in-between.

I believe that every woman should take at least 4 weeks off after surgery. You have only 1 chance to heal properly.

Good luck to you!

Carol
Unread 11-06-2007, 03:01 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I just got back from doctors (other side of the world from you guys, I didn't go in the middle of the night!) and he said everything was progressing normally and other than elevated white blood count he was not sure why I still felt so tired. I thought the tiredness was normal in the healing process. Anyway I had a bit of an emotional meltdown which surprised me as a) I kept both ovaries so hormones should be normal, and b) I rarely get emotional; I found it rather embarassing. We discussed my return to work and I told him I was concerned I wasn't ready as I usually work 11 hour days and I can't stay awake that long right now. Also as I am the boss I feel that once I am back everyone will expect me to be back to normal and I know I am not. He has advised me to take another 2 weeks so I will stay home for the rest of this week and see how things go in case I feel ready to go back before then. As he first told me it would 2-3 weeks recovery I had set my diary and appointments to that and some meetings would be hard to cancel next week. So I am feeling a bit frustrated with myself and still shocked by the meltdown, but at the same time relieved that I do not have to face work for at least the remainder of this week.
Unread 11-06-2007, 06:24 AM

Is going back part time an option for you? Under normal conditions I don't think I could work an 11 hour day. I suspect it will be a month or so before you get your stamina back.

In any case, I wonder if sitting down with the workers when you return and let them know that you still need them to hold down the fort.
Unread 11-06-2007, 06:53 AM

So far my team have been very supportive and have not applied any pressure for me to return. I have been staying in touch via email and have been able to help assist with things as they arise and they have done a good job of keeping this to a minimum. My preference is to start part time next week; I will be the one with the problem leaving before the day is over and I will really have to force myself to limit my hours as an when I "ease" myself back to work.
Unread 11-06-2007, 06:57 AM

I went back to work one week following my TVH, and would have been fine, had it not been for an embolism. I returned full time the following friday, about 11 days post-op. I admit, the first full week was slow going, as I regained my stamina, and when I'd get home at night, I was useless and would simply pass out. I work a 9.5 hour day, with 35 minutes of drive time at the beginning and the end of my day. This week (third week post-op), I feel really good. I'm still tired enough at the end of the day to laze around, however, I'm not passing out, so I guess that's an improvement.

I don't look at myself as a benchmark for anyone else though. I think recovery is a personal thing, and you need to take it as you see fit. I was done with pain meds my second day post-op, so from what I understand, I'm rather abnormal regardless!

As for what people expect of you -- my only recommendation is this: make certain you are making the distinction between what others expect from you and what you expect from yourself -- because it's been my experience that the second of those is the one that's the most difficult to deal with. With you being the boss, it would seem to me that you could set the stage, as it were, for your own return.

I wish you the very best recovery and hope that you ease back into your life at your own pace. Cheers!
dina

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register