? about Happy Juice | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

? about Happy Juice ? about Happy Juice

Unread 11-06-2007, 11:17 AM
? about Happy Juice

This may be a dumb question, but I haven't had any major surgeries, only outpatient ones. Is the happy juice put in your IV, or is it breathed from the oxygen mask? What is the mask used for? Also, isn't it true that the happy juice nowadays makes you wake up more alert and feeling better and not groggy like the days of old?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007, 11:32 AM
? about Happy Juice

it is usally put in your iv.the mask is for when you are starting to go under you breathing gets less than perfect and the extra o2 helps untill you go all the way under and the can put a breathing tube in and hook up the ventolater.yes you wake up more alert but the pain and nasua meds make you groggy.trust me this is a good thing.since you wont be in pain and hopfully you won't get sick.
Unread 11-06-2007, 01:14 PM
? about Happy Juice

I didn't get anything in the IV first (well, not that I remember). Last thing I remember is the anesthesiologist telling me he was going to give me a little oxygen. He didn't put the mask on my face, just held it over it. Next thing I knew, I was in recovery. This was my first surgery ever and the nurses/docs in the prep area helped me stay really relaxed beforehand.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007, 01:16 PM
? about Happy Juice

Oh my god I am so scared too! I have never been put under and it just frightens me so very much. I do not have any surgery date yet but I meet with the oncologist/surgeon on the 20th of this month and I am sure the actual surgery will not take place much longer then that now I am consumed with the fear of the surgery more then the diagnosis. Man I am so thankful for this website
Unread 11-06-2007, 01:25 PM
? about Happy Juice

I've been put under three times and all three times they put the IV in first, then they gave me something to relax me (which made me start grinning like a fool...but it WAS relaxing...so much so I asked for a "six pack of that stuff to go"!), then the gave me something in the IV when surgery time came that knocked me clean out. Didn't remember a thing until I woke up in recovery. I never had a bad reaction to the happy juice other than being too groggy to visit with those that came to wish me a speedy recovery.

I know it's scary....heck, I've "been there, done that" and I'm STILL scared about my surgery this Friday. It's normal to be scared, I think.

I just try to keep thinking positively about the whole thing. It may be painful to go thru but it's a pain that soon fades. I can hardly remember the pain I had with any of my surgeries....I'm hoping this one goes as well.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 11-06-2007, 01:26 PM
? about Happy Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy327
I didn't get anything in the IV first (well, not that I remember).
Oh yes you did! <giggle>
Unread 11-06-2007, 01:29 PM
? about Happy Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondraider
Oh my god I am so scared too! I have never been put under and it just frightens me so very much.
It's awesome. I loved it. It's like being able to check out of all the worries and stresses of life. The second you get into the little pre-op bed thing, where they put you to hang out till the operation, they'll put an IV in and within 1 minute, your cares and woes will be totally gone. They've got that stuff down to a perfect science. Just be sure your doctor knows what you need in terms of pain control AFTER the surgery. That's when you'll need it.
Unread 11-06-2007, 01:41 PM
? about Happy Juice

I am so scared of that I can not believe how much this terrifies me. I guess it is because i have never been put under. My husband and my sister in law who just had surgery last wed to remove skin cancer on her nose love it and say there is no other way too go but me if they can offer and epidural I am ok with that (does that sound stupid?) why am I so scared? And now did you guys see the new movie coming out on the TV commercials? Its called Awake eeekkkkkkkkkkkkk. I think what also scared me is everything makes me sick so if they give me morphine I will puke and if they give me something else I will puke I suck. pain pills for me should be a lot of fun!!
Unread 11-06-2007, 01:47 PM
? about Happy Juice

blondraiderThose commercials freak me out too!

As of the happy juice.
The first time I asked for it
The second time I said I did not want it, had a full meltdown on my way to the OR and they had to call the doc back to give it to me.
The third time - all i remeber is telling them I don't like feeling funny (its an OCD/Panic thing for me) before they gave me the shot then suddenly not caring at all!

It will all be fine. I am a control freak to the extreme and hate anything other then 100% lucidness and it makes the surgery so much easier to stomach. I know on the day of my hyst I will be asking for it ASAP so I don't panic and cancel before they wheel me back!
Unread 11-06-2007, 02:01 PM
? about Happy Juice

I remember years ago for one of my outpatient surgeries, they gave me something that starts with a "R" to relax me in the OR. Well it made my eyes cross and I was freaking out but too late, I went out instead. I never want that feeling again. I was trying to answer their questions and my eyes were going every which way like some cartoon character (how funny!) It took forever for it to knock me out completely! Ewwwww, that was horrible.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register