Bad Nurse Experience | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bad Nurse Experience Bad Nurse Experience

Unread 11-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

When i come out of recovery i have allways woke up very violently.this time was no diffrent.I allways tell the doc and any body else who will be dealing with me.this time I was also up walking with in 20 mins of comming back to my room because as per my mom and friends :i stated that I was fine and I was going out to have a smoke.well this happend the last time i had surgery(yes i know smoking if very very bad)and they tried to stop me and i guess i went nuts swinging at everybody and taking my iv out and they finnally let my mom take me outside and i took one puff and was ready to go back to bed.well this time my doc knew all of this and put in my orders that IF it happend again that all though she did not approve of smoking after surgery that for my own well being to let my mom take me outside.well the nurses did not think that was right so they had me sign Agianst medical advice papers while I was still under all the drugs.I don't even remember signing them!the next day I had a nurse come in and tell me that my insurance was probably not going to pay for any of my hospital stay since I went agianst medical advice.I looked at her and once i found out what happend asked"how did i go agianst med advice when my doc put in my orders to LET ME GO OUTSIDE!"she did not have an answer to that one.this is just one of the many Bad nurse stories that i had and also the only one that did not result in physical pain.I also had one nurse who forgot that she needed to cath me to drain my bladder and left me in agony for over an hour before all of my ringing of the bell screaming for help and my mom hunting her down.when she finnally did come back she said sorry they were really busy and she just forgot....she then drained all most a full 1,000ml from my bladder while i was crying uncontrolably from the worst pain i have ever had!then she said"my you really did have a lot in there!)and left.I am sorry but i really needed to vent i have been trying not to complain to much but stuff like this really gets to you.I am still trying to get my bladder to wake up but at least i am at home in charge of my own care now!I know that nurses are in short supply and high demand and that there jobs are stessfull(I a nurse in the army national guard)but come on this is just not right.and it wasn't just one nurse it was many(I did have a wonderfull night nurse and a great student nurse)well I think i am done ranting...I am going to take a nap now i think...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007, 12:53 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

I hear you!!!!

I don't believe one word of the myth about "overworked" nurses since this surgery of mine. It's all B.S. and I don't think any of us should take it any more. I had the nurse from Hell on the night shift during my surgery; she could have cared less about my pain pills on time. In fact, not once did she give me a pill when I needed it, she refused to check the doctor's orders for my pain drip, my husband had to track her down every single time for my pain, she said the pain pump wasn't working but did nothing to get it fixed, she said my IV's weren't working and the IV nurse came 5 hours later. It was a nightmare. And this was in what is supposed to be the best hospital in Seattle, WA. I am still so furious. Honestly, they have us all believing that they are so overworked. My husband is the most mild-mannered, passive man on the face of the earth, and even he was beside himself trying to find someone to just do their job. He said he had to use the bathroom on the floor around 3 am, and both of them were locked for 15 MINUTES, with no sounds coming from either one. He waited in a chair with his watch, and nurses came out of both of the bathrooms. No sounds of flushing, or running water, or anything. He said he watched it for two nights straight. My night nurse was 2.5 hours late for my 2 am pain pill, and she just laughed and said she was "busy". This was a dedicated hysterectomy floor, and there were 5 other ladies in there, with 3 nurses. We have been sold a tale of baloney about nurses. For our own protection, we HAVE to bring an advocate for us on all surgeries. My husband was just too passive.
Unread 11-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

I also had a nurse who refused to give me any of my pain meds by iv,because as she put it my doc said that i could have oral meds.well what my doc said was if i felt that i could tolorate oral meds i could try them and the nurse didnt even give me the right oral meds!she gave me 800mg of ibprofen and one darvocet when i questioned her she told me "she knew what she was doing and that i could not be in that much pain from a TLH.and then she offerd me an ambien to knock me out.I told her no and that if she did not call my doc to ask about what oral meds i was to have then i would and it would look really bad if i called at one i the morning!she finnally gave in and gave me my iv meds.I also made my complaints know when my doc did her moring rounds!i never had that nurse again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2007, 01:19 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

I had one shift with a bad nursing experience, the rest were great. The best defense is to be educated about what is supposed to happen and to advocate for yourself. Or have an educated, persistant person advocate for you.

Once my pain was back under control, I let it be known that I would not allow the previous nurse to be on my case the next day. My body, my choice. IMO, I required another day inpatient because she didn't change the order to advance my diet to solid, didn't take me to walk, told me my pain pump was no longer to be used (completely incorrect), etc, etc.

The other nurses were extremely compassionate, helpful, fun and sweet. One bad apple and all...
Unread 11-06-2007, 02:48 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

Wow I am sorry you all had such a bad time w/ your nurses. I had great nurses who did a great job w/ me. Even advocating for me to get a pain management team down to help with my pain. This was in the hospital.

Now let me tell you about my doctors nurse at her office. She has the worse bedside manner in the world and she works at the Gyn/Oncology office. Hello! You would think someone that has to work with cancer patients all day would have to have compassion... not her. I have gotten to the point where I refuse to speak with her. I call the after hours number so I can speak with one of the doctors who do have great bedside manners. I think I got her in trouble though because I called her for a week before my vaginal cuff tore open about a sharp pain and spotting in my vagina and asked to be seen by the doctor. She said she would let my doc know and she would decide if I needed to come in. Well when it tore and I told my doc that I had been calling for a week she was not happy I could tell. When I asked my doctor why she wouldn't call me she said she didn't know I needed her. I told my doctor from now on I will just go into the er or call at night. I said if my insurance calls and wants to know why I keep going to the er I'll tell them her nurse won't let me see her. Maybe that will teach her. She acted like I was a drug addict when I called to give my pharmacy number for my pain meds. The doctor told me to.

Well thats enough about her. Have a good day.

Janelle
Unread 11-06-2007, 02:53 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebratt
I also had a nurse who refused to give me any of my pain meds by iv,because as she put it my doc said that i could have oral meds.well what my doc said was if i felt that i could tolorate oral meds i could try them and the nurse didnt even give me the right oral meds!she gave me 800mg of ibprofen and one darvocet when i questioned her she told me "she knew what she was doing and that i could not be in that much pain from a TLH.and then she offerd me an ambien to knock me out.I told her no and that if she did not call my doc to ask about what oral meds i was to have then i would and it would look really bad if i called at one i the morning!she finnally gave in and gave me my iv meds.I also made my complaints know when my doc did her moring rounds!i never had that nurse again.
Man, that makes me honkerblonked <oops! please do not attempt to override the censor!> off just reading it. I'm sorry. It's going to take me awhile to get over the trauma of that experience. I can't talk to my husband anymore about it because it upsets him so; he knows that he's kind of a wet noodle when it comes to asserting himself and he feels like he let me down, so I try not to hurt his feelings and keep it to myself. Thank God for this place where I can be with a few people who understand what it was like. Your experience was exactly like mine!!! She told me that it was her opinion I didn't need the drip, etc., etc., and finally I asked her, "are you the one who makes the decision about my medicine or is it my doctor??", and she just laughed and walked out! I have a RN SIL who worked for 38 years at Mass General in Boston, and she told me that there indeed are such a thing called 'rogue nurses', and other nurses know about it. Like was said, it's the Bad Apple Syndrome. A certain sadistic type of person is drawn to the profession. This nurse I had was obviously on drugs. She's the one who couldn't remember my oxygen numbers and had to read them ten times in a row; she's the one who put my oxygen clip on the web between my fingers instead of on the tip of my finger; she never once helped me walk. During the night, an orderly came in and used my bathroom!! My husband woke up and went in the bathroom to see what in the world was going on, and the orderly didn't even flush it. I told the morning nurse that I didn't want that night nurse within a hundred miles of me, and she's the one who talked me into making a formal complaint with the Nursing Manager. I didn't feel I had the strength to do it because I was so exhausted and traumatized by the pain and helplessness of that night, but the Manager came in and took my statement. Big deal. It didn't help the two worst nights of my life. I was supposed to be in 3 nights but I told them I wouldn't stay one more minute and asked the doctor to discharge me and she did. I must have received 6 calls from all kinds of departments when I got home. Again, big deal. If they coud spend all that time and money and personnel calling me on the phone and apologizing, why couldn't they tell they had a deranged drug addict nurse on their night staff? I have no illusions about the "hospital system" any more.
Unread 11-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

Wow!! I am so sorry you had such a bad experience. I am an RN myself and I must tell you I often feel disheartened when it comes to some of my fellow nurses. While most are very caring and capable, some I have no idea why they ever chose to become a nurse...it is obvious that they have no interest in truly caring for their patients. This really infuriates me!! I worked several years myself on a surgical floor so I know things can get hectic and stressful. Still, I learned from my mentors to run between rooms and then give the patient all the attention, help, care, support, and TIME needed. A truly good nurse knows that there is more than science to providing good care...it's an artform and almost like a "calling." Bad nursing care needs to be reported to the appropriate supervisors; really, this is VERY important!! Excellent nursing care similarly needs to be reported; very often, we tend to only report the negative and think the positive is not that necessary.

It has been almost 1 year now since my surgery. I stayed in the hospital I work in, on the surgical floor I worked on 4 years ago. I had excellent care most of the time but did have to put one nurse in his place as he was slow bringing me my pain medication and otherwise being a slacker and quite unprofessional. Additionally, my husband was not treated well by most of the staff though my nurses were wondrful to him. The manager of this floor is very "cold;" she was that way when I worked there as well; sometimes I think this influences some nurses. I therefore made sure that her supervisor received a letter from me, giving kudos for the good and complaints about the bad. Being a nurse, I had the advantage of knowing the care I needed and how it should be delivered. I think patients really have to be in charge of their care and active participants...or have strong family advocates present to speak for them. Bad, neglectful, downright sub-standard care that I have read in your comments should NOT be tolerated. Medical care is very expensive...it is given when people are the most helpless, scared, and vulnerable...it should be nothing but the best. I hope none of you ever experience anything this disgraceful ever again!! Hugs to you all...and, on behalf of my profession, I really appologize!
Unread 11-06-2007, 04:37 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

Yep, I've had bad nurse experiences.

And bad Target clerk experiences, and bad bank loan officer experiences, and bad doctor experiences, and bad librarian experiences, and bad pastor experiences.

But fortunately I've had far more of the *good* than the bad. And through it all, I've found it more constructive to acknowledge the bad, deal with it if necessary, and move on.

(((Sisters))) I hope having this opportunity to vent is helping you work through difficulties. Please do be aware, however, that there are many (((nurses))) who are members here, and I would hate to see the entire profession feel put down because of a few bad examples.

to all.
Unread 11-06-2007, 04:44 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

Most of my nurses were gems, fairly busy with a bunch of female surgery patients admitted at the same time. My night nurse the first night was the most irritating. I was on the pump with dilaudid the first night. At one point it needed refilled and she obliged and then left me alone the rest of the night. I called at 6 am and told her it wasn't working again and she got testy. Then she said the doctor had ordered 3 "bolus", did I want one of those. I didn't know what a bolus was, so I asked and she said it was an extra dose. Why did she wait an hour to think of that if I had 3 ordered? I got 1 bolus and then she changed me to oral meds. Glad I didn't have her again. The next night I never saw my night nurse, she was too busy. That was what my PCA said. Everyone else was comforting and compassionate. Go figure. I was given the option of a third night in the castle and said no, I wanna go home! Probably should have stayed, but didn't want to take the chance of even worse care.
JudithL
TAH/BSO
Just 51
Unread 11-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Bad Nurse Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjd2491
Yep, I've had bad nurse experiences.

And bad Target clerk experiences, and bad bank loan officer experiences, and bad doctor experiences, and bad librarian experiences, and bad pastor experiences.

But fortunately I've had far more of the *good* than the bad. And through it all, I've found it more constructive to acknowledge the bad, deal with it if necessary, and move on.

(((Sisters))) I hope having this opportunity to vent is helping you work through difficulties. Please do be aware, however, that there are many (((nurses))) who are members here, and I would hate to see the entire profession feel put down because of a few bad examples.

to all.
Please dont take my vent to mean that all nurses are bad.As i said in my post i am a nurse also.I served in IRAQ from oct 2005-oct 2006 as a nurse in the greenzone in baghdad.And yes I have met many many wonderfull nurses over the years.and i did have 3 very wonderfull nurses this time.It just seemed that I ended up with more bad than good this time.I did not mean to offend anyone on here.I really do know how hard it is to be a nurse.but as someone else said in an earlier post nursing is an artform.and not everybody is cut out for it.Again i am really sorry if I offended anyone

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register